Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about racing NASA events.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:27 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by KRA993tt
A group from NASA-SE usually make the Glen in the Fall. I hope to make it this year. I just need to keep my car together until then. I'm old and slow but I add to the head count for the free tires.
I'd love to make this event but the Summit point PCA race is the same weekend. Hope the Ct. stock boys make it this year with the newly paved track and local entertainment.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:29 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I am not a CT stock boy, but how can you compare WGI to Summit?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:32 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets see Summit Point vs. Watkins Glen hmmm the Glen sounds good to me. I imagine NASA-MA will be represented as well
Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Well, it looks like the D/E boys are going to take the NASA plunge with me..............

Coooooool...........

In all honesty, I agree with Scott, the HP/Weight requirements sound more reasonable than just some vague rules left at the discretion of the famous engine shops.......

Frankly Paolo, I think your comment is definitely ill-informed. There are not that many vague rules in PCA Stock Classes. Quite the contrary. What's vague is everything that is not specified in the simple hp/weight ratio quotient. I for one, am very interested to see how the different classification basis affects results. Hopefully there are more than 2 cars in GTS2 at the LRP race.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

In all honesty, I agree with Scott, the HP/Weight requirements sound more reasonable than just some vague rules left at the discretion of the famous engine shops.......
Says the guy with DAWES written on his back bumper
Old 06-16-2010, 10:51 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

I am not a CT stock boy, but how can you compare WGI to Summit?
WGI doesn't have Diva's
Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Frankly Paolo, I think your comment is definitely ill-informed. There are not that many vague rules in PCA Stock Classes. Quite the contrary. What's vague is everything that is not specified in the simple hp/weight ratio quotient. I for one, am very interested to see how the different classification basis affects results. Hopefully there are more than 2 cars in GTS2 at the LRP race.
Like I have always told you Freddy...... I have still lots to learn.....
Originally Posted by Streak
Says the guy with DAWES written on his back bumper
And I am still slow......what does that tell you?
Originally Posted by good hands
WGI doesn't have Diva's
That is not a very nice way to talk about Streak......
Old 06-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I attended Summit for two years, was told the pavement was fixed both times, was told there were hotties, etc..... all of this proved to be false. Summit for the Hyperfest, yes, there is "shine" galore, fistfights with drunk locals that have no teeth to lose, and (well, YMMV) "girls" to gawk at but the PCA Summit race? Low attendance and a bar that scans your license to steal your identity at a later date... nah.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Great theory, but in the real world there are wilda$$ed drivers in every class of car. Back in my NASA days there was a certain GTS series director who was totally unpredictable, and known to throw banzai moves on a regular basis. His BMW was highly prepared and probably in the $100K range.
Olivier or Doug did not have a $100k BMW... if you are speaking about NASA-MA.

We've got real close racing in NASA-MA. Fun atmosphere on and off track. And BobT... I WILL get my record back this weekend
Old 06-17-2010, 12:02 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Agreed on the good clear rules of PCA classes. Power is only one of many variables. And in the stock classes, stock means stock and there's not much variance in power output in modern (996+) engines. While the oth variables.... (I think everyone saw the 56.1 lap from the 190hp 914...). Aero, suspension and tire size can make a much bigger difference.
This would be a proper NASA GTS car:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/aud...lery?imageNo=1

Just tune the engine to whatever class you wish...
Old 06-17-2010, 01:29 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=magnetic1;7663779]Olivier or Doug did not have a $100k BMW... if you are speaking about NASA-MA.

Steve, PM sent. OK, maybe not $100K, but not exactly a low budget banger either, eh?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:35 AM
magnetic1
Racer

[QUOTE=APKhaos;7664036]
Originally Posted by magnetic1

Steve, PM sent. OK, maybe not $100K, but not exactly a low budget banger either, eh?

BTW, I'd like to talk to you about some TrackVision and AIM......
Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by magnetic1

We've got real close racing in NASA-MA. Fun atmosphere on and off track. And BobT... I WILL get my record back this weekend
Bastard!! I kinda of figured that. I will take a shot at it in our next race and same with Tbolt. Good luck on your weekend.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:44 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I've only been racing with PCA since last season, but I'm already getting really tired of all the f'ing cheating talk. For crying out loud, in order to rescure morale and to put an end to the finger pointing, why don't we get the f'ing dynos to the PCA events.

No need to change the stock and prepared rules or overcomplicate everything, just make sure everyone conforms to the HP/weight ratios that are published int he rule book. For example, my car is a 1995 993. The rule book states min weight is 3170 and HP is 270 with a performance index of 11.74. I had my car dyno'd at summit point last month with the official NASA dynojet that was there (in preparation for running in GTS3). My car put down 254 hp at the wheels. Consequently, for parity, I should be able to drop some ballast and run at 2982 lbs.

Same thing would apply to let's say (hypothetically speaking of course) a 911 RSA in same class with stated horsepower of 247, 2910 lbs, and PI of 11.78. With headers and exhaust (legal as per the rules), these cars generally run close to that stated horsepower at the wheels or even above it. Consequently, they would run close to the stated weight and keep the same performance index. No need to change the rules and force people to reclass their cars, just adjust weight to maintain the stated performance index that is listed in the rule book for each car. If your engine starts getting tired, drop ballast; if you get a Dan Jacobs or Peter Dawe rebuild, you add some ballast....Problem solved (no more whining).

This is our club, why can't we get some momentum to get this done????? Who in their right mind would be opposed to this???? Can we start another thread to get the letter campaign going???

Last edited by ninjabones; 06-17-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:47 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I attended Summit for two years, was told the pavement was fixed both times, was told there were hotties, etc..... all of this proved to be false. Summit for the Hyperfest, yes, there is "shine" galore, fistfights with drunk locals that have no teeth to lose, and (well, YMMV) "girls" to gawk at but the PCA Summit race? Low attendance and a bar that scans your license to steal your identity at a later date... nah.
You always stay west of the track out in Winchester. Come east young man towards Purcellville. Better motels, wineries, great restaurants and we are supposedly the richest county in the US. We also check redneck cards at the border.

http://www.loudouni.com/business/201...county-america

Quick Reply: Thinking about racing NASA events.......