Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Sleeves For PCA DE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:23 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you guys want to be able to wear shorter skirts too? Just asking.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 166 Posts

I agree with the concept of the graduated requirements. The newbys should be able to wear long sleeves and long pants. Advanced groups which typically run at club racing speeds should require fire suits and Hans. Intermediate however would be the tough one. I have seen more crashes in the intermediate groups than in expert and beginner groups. Never seen a fire yet and hope to never do so, however there are plenty of cases where they started after crashes no worse than many I have seen at DE events.

I do have a question though, is the tradeoff to require windows closed (risking broken glass?) worse than the option to run with air conditioning? Our cars all use tempered glass.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:40 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I wear my race suit in my car. However, when instructing, I often don't wear it in my students car. This largely depends on the students level and how much I feel they are getting out of themselves and the car, and if the car is street or track prepped. This said, bad things can happen in a DE just as they can in a race. I've had a students car rupture a fuel line and soak my back in gasoline during a DE. Even nomex is not very good when soaked in gas.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:01 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Real world story. I was instructing a dude in 993 twin-t and having good time. Stock car no mods and I kept asking how are your brakes "OK"........then going into T-7 at Sebring at +127mph: "I haved no brakes" I was able to throtle the e-brake to slow us down enough so we did not crash into the wall. Chest heaving I looked at the corner worker and he was holding fire bottle over his head. I told my guy to get the f&ck out when asked why I said we are on FIRE. Things happen at the track be prepared and be vigilant.

It all sorted out OK but I was glad I was wearing my bunny suit.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Accidents happen and when we're racing or participating in a DE/TT, even to a lesser extent Auto X, we need to be diligent with ourselves and aware of others. A detached fuel line will cause serious consequences when the fuel touches a hot exhaust.

This video says it all;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIatXMiyZ6w
Old 06-16-2010, 02:37 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Really surprised that in such a litigious country as the US that you're allowed to run without complete coverage top to toe?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tedster
I do have a question though, is the tradeoff to require windows closed (risking broken glass?) worse than the option to run with air conditioning? Our cars all use tempered glass.
Windows need to be open at a DE in order to communicate w hand signals to corner workers and other drivers. In Texas you would get black flagged for having a window up.

IMO, running around with the windows up and the AC on would further remove the driver from appreciating the reality of extreme temperatures just a few feet away (rotors, exhaust, engine, etc.).
Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JR944
...if you believe we should require long shirts and pants because they're safer, why not also mandate H&N systems, roll cages, harnesses, race suits, and fire systems?
Yeah smartass, buying a $10 long sleeve shirt and $30 pants is the same as buying $8000 worth of safety equipment...

And yes, long sleeve pants and shirt are safer, I don't thing there's any doubt about that.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:18 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SAM DACOSTA
I use to wear 'short sleeve shirt' and 'shorts' during my initial days at DE/TT events. Then after attending DE Instructor school, I deiced to wear a 'full 2 layer driving suit' at all DE/TT events because now I'm at the mercy of students and ultimately this brings about more peace of mind. For those who see no need for 'fire protection' in DE/TT events, you obviously have not been exposed to fire and the posibility of being burned. Accidents (both mechanical and contact) can happen and the extra protection would deem necessary then.

Ultimately, the choice belongs to you.
I would never criticize anyone for the decisions they make to protect them self. Running a DE has different considerations, at least from the marketing, and sponsoring point of view. We don't want to raise to much of a barrier for participants, some people still borrow our helmets. I am reluctant to jump into a students car with my full fire suit on and hutchens Hybrid on. That could be a bit intimidating. Also it may be a comfort zone issue for me, the DE environment is so much more subdue as compared to the race environment, I just feel like I am OK without my fire suit. Most student cars I can get out of quick and we are generally not going at a speed that I don't condone anyway. Not to say that I have total control, but I feel like I have significant control over the situation.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this today on 'the other forum' and immediately thought of this thread and our previous discussions. There's no details surrounding this picture, but it's worth a 1,000 words. Fires are unpredictable, especially when on a track and the level of safety items used can sometimes mean the difference of walking away or .....

Last edited by SAM DACOSTA; 08-13-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Well we did it. Today was hot and we went short sleeves to the relief of all. The DE was incident free. IMO, guys with race cars with a cage should wear fire resistent clothing. It can take time to extract yourself especially when wearing a HANS. Street cars, heck, open the door an get out. That being said my race car has a full fire suppression system including nozzles which will soak me. We plan to keep doing short sleeves when the weather calls for it.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

But Bob, I bet you didn't check for "Truck driver's sunburn". I bet those short sleeved drivers were suffering at the bar later!
Old 06-19-2010, 02:56 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
IMO, guys with race cars with a cage should wear fire resistent clothing. It can take time to extract yourself especially when wearing a HANS.
Says the guy that had to clamber out of my cage!
Great event, Bob - you and your team always give us a great time (and thanks for riding with me).
Short sleeves felt odd, but I think people liked the option.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:36 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loved the short sleeves, minus the left arm burn.
Thanks Bob, great idea to have the option.

+1 on another great event with perfect weather.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by early_grayce
Loved the short sleeves, minus the left arm burn.
Thanks Bob, great idea to have the option.

+1 on another great event with perfect weather.
+2
I lucked out and had Rick as my instructor!
Dwane

Quick Reply: Short Sleeves For PCA DE?