Short Sleeves For PCA DE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:53 AM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Unpossible! Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear.

We are not parking it we are abandoning it...
Old 06-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by TedA
We are not parking it we are abandoning it...
Pfftt. It's Chechoslovakia. It's like going to Wisconsin. We zip in, we zip out.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-15-2010, 12:19 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use to wear 'short sleeve shirt' and 'shorts' during my initial days at DE/TT events. Then after attending DE Instructor school, I deiced to wear a 'full 2 layer driving suit' at all DE/TT events because now I'm at the mercy of students and ultimately this brings about more peace of mind. For those who see no need for 'fire protection' in DE/TT events, you obviously have not been exposed to fire and the posibility of being burned. Accidents (both mechanical and contact) can happen and the extra protection would deem necessary then.

Ultimately, the choice belongs to you.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:26 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I too have a single layer suit; mine is by Momo. It was $180 bucks or so at a year end sale at Lime Rock. I know its not as effective as a multilayer but still its better than shirt and pants.
On a warm day its actually cooler than the long sleeve/long pants; I wear a t-shirt under it and so around the paddock can drop the upper half of the suit and just have the t-shirt.
Not sure why I don't wear it more often (perhaps its the poseur image that I don't like); after this discussion I think I will wear it each event.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:34 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Right.
It would be nice to hear encouragement from CI's and Event organizers to wear nomex, just as the H&N is encouraged.... vs the wannabe racer label.

Single layer suits are used at Skippy and Bondurant events. seems appropriate for DEs too.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
Right.
It would be nice to hear encouragement from CI's and Event organizers to wear nomex, just as the H&N is encouraged.... vs the wannabe racer label.

Single layer suits are used at Skippy and Bondurant events. seems appropriate for DEs too.
I agree, I just find it hard to shake the poser thing... even though chances are my jeans and shirt cost damn close to what I paid for this old suit! I get funny looks when I toss on my balacava w/o a suit, but i'm actually using it as a washable helmet liner, it being nomex is an extra! Ever see (or smell) the inside of Mike I.'s mushroom farm... errr I mean helmet?

Fabreeze this!
Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I agree, I just find it hard to shake the poser thing... even though chances are my jeans and shirt cost damn close to what I paid for this old suit! I get funny looks when I toss on my balacava w/o a suit, but i'm actually using it as a washable helmet liner, it being nomex is an extra! Ever see (or smell) the inside of Mike I.'s mushroom farm... errr I mean helmet?

Fabreeze this!
That's a common but funny view. I know racers who don't want to look like posers when in a DE!!! As a wannabe racer, I definitely worry about that. Should probably get over it.

I also use a balacava for hygenic purposes. I also wonder if there is any major benefit to having a skin of nomex on the top of your head, when there's already 2" of helmet. It's probably mostly for the face and neck since the helmet will provide protection.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:26 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

"Given the miniscule risk of fire in a DE, in generally street cars, versus the very real risk of heat stroke in out of shape non-racers learning track driving for the first time, driver comfort becomes (IMO) a much greater safetty issue."

+1

I think drivers should be informed of their options and risks and be allowed to make their own decisions. There is nothing in the PCA National Standard or insurance requirements calling for long shirts OR long pants.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Given the miniscule risk of fire in a DE, in generally street cars, versus the very real risk of heat stroke in out of shape non-racers learning track driving for the first time, driver comfort becomes (IMO) a much greater safetty issue.
I do agree with this in principle. I have a real hard time wearing my suit if it is even 70*. And yet... the following sage quote is what I was driving at;

Originally Posted by DDun911
Though I think it should be your choice. I always wear a fire suit since I saw what happened to my brother in law from a fire on the street, 2nd degree burns on his arms and legs which ended at his t-shirt line and the line of his shorts. The hell he went through is not worth the short sleeve.
You have to weigh all factors and make informed decisions. Not knowing what can happen if there IS a fire is not being informed. We all know that most people in most avocations like this never grasp the true consequences of what is afoot until... God forbid, it happens.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys, thanks for the input. I plan to tweak our rules to allow short sleeves when it is hot. Some of you refer to the heat in the car. There's more to it than that. Last event we had heat in the 90's and in the paved paddock, way over that. I am more concerned with fatigue and loss of concentration caused by heat than I am about the risk of fire. This is DE and the vast majority of cars are street legal, i.e. no cages. Those who drive cars with a cage which might make getting out of the car a bit difficult are free to wear Nomex. There are no rules about being too safe

Best,
Old 06-15-2010, 02:17 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why not use a graduated system? Require long pants and cotton shirts for the advanced run groups; allow shorts and T-shirts in the novice run groups. That way you won't scare off the novice drivers with fears of the unlikely fire, and you educate the advanced drivers that they are no longer simply learning to enjoy their daily driver on the track, and that they are truly incurring increased risks that they may not be aware of.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Regarding the choice issue: What about helmet? Seat Belts?

If the short sleeve should be driver's choice because it's for his/her own safety, why mandate helmets & seat belts?
Old 06-15-2010, 04:07 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Because those items are total no-brainers AND required by insurance company.

if you believe we should require long shirts and pants because they're safer, why not also mandate H&N systems, roll cages, harnesses, race suits, and fire systems?
Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The heat is why my race car has and will continue to have AC. I sit in grid with it on max and pull on to track comfortable which I think it is worth more time than the extra weight.
Though if you are passing out from a thin layer of cotton on your arms you probably should not be driving anything with a motor anyway.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:21 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 392 Likes on 227 Posts

"I toss on my balacava w/o a suit, but i'm actually using it as a washable helmet liner"

That's exactly what I do and the helmet is still wringing wet by the end of the day.

Quick Reply: Short Sleeves For PCA DE?