Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometimes its just the track.... VIR let us do it for the first time this year
Old 06-15-2010, 09:20 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
MORPCA goes short sleeve when the temps rise in the 80's. Its a trade off. The risk of a fire in a stock car is way less due to DOT standard vs. a race car. Not many fires at DE's. but heat exhaustion and dehydration can happen at a DE just as in a race. so we allow it.

I was not aware the level of car prep, was considered when determining the safety equipment required at a DE.

personally, I think any driver on a race track, at race speeds, should have full safety equipment...

But,I also feel it should be strictly a personal decision. -Just like wearing a PFD on a boat.

It should be up to the driver to determine what level of safety they feel is needed for themselves. Whether that is 6pts, H&N, rollbars, or a fire system, it should remain up to the participant.

Otherwise you get lawyers arguing the organization was at fault when something bad happens...
Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
There is no valid reason to mandate long sleeves IMO.
I think you'd be surprised;

I've seen burn photos. It's a bit surprising what even a thin cotton layer will do for you. Having said that, there is a tipping point between protection, and driver comfort. Being on fire really sucks, so I am told, but there is a point where comfort begins to weigh on concentration. I HATE hot weather. I'd never make it down South. I try real hard to stay in longs, but some days.... it sure is nice to go short.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

Given the miniscule risk of fire in a DE, in generally street cars, versus the very real risk of heat stroke in out of shape non-racers learning track driving for the first time, driver comfort becomes (IMO) a much greater safetty issue.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-15-2010, 10:04 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Given the miniscule risk of fire in a DE, in generally street cars, versus the very real risk of heat stroke in out of shape non-racers learning track driving for the first time, driver comfort becomes (IMO) a much greater safetty issue.
well said!!
Old 06-15-2010, 10:29 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

"Given the miniscule risk of fire in a DE, in generally street cars, versus the very real risk of heat stroke in out of shape non-racers learning track driving for the first time, driver comfort becomes (IMO) a much greater safetty issue."

+100.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

I concur with VR but I am a big proponent of PPE and therefore always wear the bunny suit. Another consideration is working on the car in the pits. In several cases my long pants and/or sleaves have protected me from burns while changing pads/rotors, or otherwise crawling under or around the car.

Ultimately fitness and hydration solve many of the heat related issues. Besides if it wasn't for the heat I couldn't grind down my weak opposition.....
Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I find it nearly impossible to wear Nomex in a DE setting, whereas I generally wear Nomex when I coach, regardless of the type of car.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:50 AM
renntech
Advanced

Lets do it Bob
Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

The option of short sleeves =
Old 06-15-2010, 11:13 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those who think an extra few inches of fabric from their elbow to their wrist will cause them to pass out and crash, there's always...

Kidding aside, I think it should be a personal choice for each driver as long as they understand the ramifications of their decision (which all new drivers might not).
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DDun911
Though I think it should be your choice. I always wear a fire suit since I saw what happened to my brother in law from a fire on the street, 2nd degree burns on his arms and legs which ended at his t-shirt line and the line of his shorts. The hell he went through is not worth the short sleeve.
+1

I wore long sleeve shirt and long pants in DE's for that above reason, just regular cotton does offer some fire protection.

I now have decided to wear a suit and will wear that no matter how hot it is, even the hottest Florida day is nowhere near the temps of a fire.

Heatstroke risk getting that much higher between wearing a short sleeve or a long sleeve cotton shirt?

Please, if that's the deciding factor, a person suffering a heatstroke from a 30 min. DE session wearing a long sleeve cotton shirt in a car with open windows should stay home in air conditioned climate and have her wife get the beer from the fridge.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 AM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

I generally wear Nomex when I coach, regardless of the type of car.

Good choice...I hear you kind of have a reputation...
Old 06-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

I have an inexpensive one-layer Sparco suit that is actually cooler than jeans and a LS cotton shirt, I should wear that at DE's but usually don't..
Old 06-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TedA
Good choice...I hear you kind of have a reputation...
Unpossible! Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear.

Quick Reply: Short Sleeves For PCA DE?