Sponsored by:

Video from Maverick PCA DE at ECR 5/29/2010

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:53 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Video from Maverick PCA DE at ECR 5/29/2010

I am working on converting the rest of the video. From the Solo DE, I got 5 of the Advance Group SE sessions on video. The new JVC camcorder quality came out very nice. Crystal clear HD with no jitter. This was also my first time to use the PerformanceBox. With the hot weather, track and tires were hot and slipper all weekend. GT3s were out in force in the advanced group: 3 997.2s (2 black and 1 grey), 3 997.1s (blue, silver and white) and 1 997.1 RS (white). This is Session 2 from Saturday.

Part I:

Part II:

Last edited by 10 GT3; 05-31-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

What tires are you using?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-31-2010, 06:39 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been reading Speed Secrets 1 & 2 and your video seems to be a great example of riding on the edge of the traction circle. You seem to trail brake nicely and get on the power early. I'm no expert but.......nice driving!!! Boy those tires certainly squeal!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:05 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice vids! Great camera footage! Have you been to ECR before?

Also, do you notice that you shuffle steer?

-td
Old 05-31-2010, 07:08 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

OEM Corsas and yes they communicate a lot. I had about 3700 miles with 5 previous track days before this weekend. There were no where near as noise when it was 20-25 degrees cooler when I drove the same track in March. It really didn't seem to matter if you were running Corsas, MPSCs or R888s as everyone seemed to be traction limited and times across the board were significantly higher/slower as a result.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:33 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
... There were no where near as noise when it was 20-25 degrees cooler when I drove the same track in March. It really didn't seem to matter if you were running Corsas, MPSCs or R888s as everyone seemed to be traction limited and times across the board were significantly higher/slower as a result...
You are lucky it is May and not later! We've had 130+ tarmac temperatures [100+ ambient!] at ECR in the past! And in the winter, we've actually had ice on the track!

IMO, ECR is a lot like TWS in that breaking the 2:00 barrier is what people shoot for. If you can break 2:00, you are hauling the mail. Under 1:55, and you are cooking the mail

-td
Old 05-31-2010, 07:53 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I recognize that red spec miata for the brief instant it takes you to blow past me!

Here's the same view but with 300 less horsepower. Takes me a little longer to get around the track...

http://vimeo.com/12187427
Old 05-31-2010, 07:55 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, it was plenty hot. I haven't pulled down my pbox data yet, but if we weren't cooking the mail, we were certainly cooking tires and brakes. I saw someone from the intermediate DE group run right over his camera bag and damage a 1-day old HD camcorder because he lost his brakes as he returned to his parking spot.

And Lauren cooked those Corsas... he and I had a great time exchanging leads and really pushing each other over the course of several laps on Saturday afternoon. I was on R6's, so kudos to Lauren for some great driving. I almost lost it twice in one lap and immediately headed to the nearest water bottle, so Lauren also beat me in the endurance category too:

Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by ervtx
Oh, it was plenty hot. I haven't pulled down my pbox data yet, but if we weren't cooking the mail, we were certainly cooking tires and brakes. I saw someone from the intermediate DE group run right over his camera bag and damage a 1-day old HD camcorder because he lost his brakes as he returned to his parking spot.

And Lauren cooked those Corsas... he and I had a great time exchanging leads and really pushing each other over the course of several laps on Saturday afternoon. I was on R6's, so kudos to Lauren for some great driving. I almost lost it twice in one lap and immediately headed to the nearest water bottle, so Lauren also beat me in the endurance category too:
This is now the infamous GT3 battle. Several of instructor staff were working corners while we were out there. They absolutely loved listening to us as we went through 7, 8 and 9. They said we had our skidding noises blended together as a single long skid sound. I got quite a few comments later that day and the next morning. There were actually quite a few places where you were sliding that back end nicely and some good saves. Glad you got data. In the vid, you will see me hit the button on my PBox a couple of times. I didn't realize it, but the power cord came out and I didn't get any lap times that session.

You will see lap times in the other videos. Lap times are displayed on the PBox on the dash.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 05-31-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by himself
Also, do you notice that you shuffle steer?

-td
LMAO....conepackers.

Loren, your driving has improved, good to see. What times were you doing? I am too lazy to subtract video elapsed times.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:01 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
IMO, ECR is a lot like TWS in that breaking the 2:00 barrier is what people shoot for. If you can break 2:00, you are hauling the mail. Under 1:55, and you are cooking the mail
TWS is roughly 7 seconds a lap quicker than ECR, depending on the car. AKA, 2:00 at TWS is slow.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:20 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Got the rest of the video converted. Here are 3 sessions from Sunday. For the first session in the morning, we were the first group on the cold track and I was the first driver in the session. The first video is pretty boring as I spent about half the session running solo catching up with the back of the pack (i.e. putting them a lap down).

Session 1

Part 1:

Part 2:

Session 2

Part 1:

Part 2:

Session 3

Part 1:

Part 2:

As you can see in the videos, a lot of 2:02's and 2:03's. Best lap of the weekend was only a 2:01. What was most noticeable from the heat was turn 6 and the back straight. In March, I was exiting turn 6 as high as 85 mph and hitting 136 mph at the end of the straight. I only hit 78 mph on corner exit this weekend and 129 mph peak at the end of the straight.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:19 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1. The heat was VERY noticeable in my miata's performance last weekend at ECR. I've never felt it so dramatically demonstrated as on the back straight and climbing those damn hills (T5 and T10). I think having the restrictor plate installed when it's that hot multiplies the air density deficit. In other words, my completely unscientific theory is that when the ambient temps are around 72, putting a restrictor plate in the later 1.8 miatas levels the horsepower playing field with the earlier 1.6 miatas as it is intended. But I think when the temps are in the mid 90's and up, the lower air density combined with a restrictor plate makes the performance gap bigger with the advantage going to the non-restrictor plate cars with their open cone air filters. But since rennlist isn't a spec miata forum, I return you to the all GT3 programming...
Old 06-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Just FYI, for what it's worth: your videos show you still adding steering at and/or beyond quite a few apexes. This not only explains the heavy squealing sound AFTER apexes (Ideally, on a noisy tire, you expect and want to hear them alot more at turnin than track out), but is also significantly reducing exit speeds. If you can find a way to turn in with more crispness & authority, you will begin the unwinding-sterring-lock process much sooner & be much faster. Also, in corners such as 3, you are giving away alot of entry speed by not coming into that first apex alot sooner & tighter....

Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
As you can see in the videos, a lot of 2:02's and 2:03's. Best lap of the weekend was only a 2:01.
Yep, my PBOX data says that during our little lead/follow run we had one lap at 2:03 (when I lifted after T5 to give you a turn in front), and the rest were all 2:02's.

Originally Posted by TR6
+1. The heat was VERY noticeable in my miata's performance last weekend at ECR. I've never felt it so dramatically demonstrated as on the back straight and climbing those damn hills (T5 and T10). I think having the restrictor plate installed when it's that hot multiplies the air density deficit. In other words, my completely unscientific theory is that when the ambient temps are around 72, putting a restrictor plate in the later 1.8 miatas levels the horsepower playing field with the earlier 1.6 miatas as it is intended. But I think when the temps are in the mid 90's and up, the lower air density combined with a restrictor plate makes the performance gap bigger with the advantage going to the non-restrictor plate cars with their open cone air filters. But since rennlist isn't a spec miata forum, I return you to the all GT3 programming...
All I know is that I had my AC on full blast the whole time, and turning it off would not have helped me crack 2:00!

Greg, your video is so.... visceral. Looks like you were working hard!

Quick Reply: Video from Maverick PCA DE at ECR 5/29/2010