Sponsored by:

Video from Maverick PCA DE at ECR 5/29/2010

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
who here doesn't make mistakes every single lap?
DLS makes mistakes????!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,561 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
DLS makes mistakes????!!!
LOL all the time

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 06-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,561 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
The ones at ECR, or the ones in your avatar?
Yes.

I prefer the technical term "compound curves".

Old 06-02-2010, 01:22 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes.

I prefer the technical term "compound curves".

A word association thread! Cool!

Anatomically improbable compound curves.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:54 PM
KurtC
Instructor

Hey, 10 GT3, can you post an image of your mph over one of your laps? I'm curious how I compare. Were you at the May 8th track day? I was in the black Supra. Wish I could have made the PCA event.

Here's my best lap of the day, still reacclimating after a year break! Don't pay attention to the timeline on the bottom, that was a 2:06 lap. I'm using my aftermarket ECU to capture data but the internal clock seems to be slightly off. Edit: That lap starts at the 500yrd marker infront of the start/finish line.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, I am just starting to learn how to use the software with the Performance Box. It took me over a day to get a good circuit layout for ECR. The guys at VBOXUSA helped and are adding the completed circuit track file to their database. This is a 2:02.36 lap from Session 2 on Saturday (first video in the thread). I haven't figured out how to adjust the scale (Y-axis) yet. Average MPH is 71.08. Start/Finish is set according to the white line on the image on Google Earth. Here is also the map plot that goes with it. Over the next couple of weeks I will be setting up segments and comparing times/lines to help figure out places to improve.

Originally Posted by jsh
"The first video is pretty boring as I spent about half the session running solo catching up with the back of the pack (i.e. putting them a lap down)."

10GT3 --- Dude, wonderful accomplishment when you're at 400hp and some of them are at 118hp (maybe?).......
I am sorry if this got taken the wrong way, I did not mean to be offensive. I just meant to say I cut the laps out running solo at the start of the session since I was the first one out. When I started passing traffic, I was on my 5th lap and they were on their 4th. BTW, don't kid yourself on those 140hp or less (due to restictor plate) cars. Greg did a fantastic job driving on Sunday. He kept a good pace with people running 2-3 times more power. I believe he was actually faster than Siggi Meissner and Doug Bridges in their GT3s.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 10 GT3; 06-02-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:08 AM
KurtC
Instructor

Thanks, good info! One thing that stands out to me is the entry into turn 8. I'm having to slow quite a bit there or my car will just understeer pretty badly. Looks like you're able to turn in at a lot higher speed there.

Here's a couple of my laps from May 8th. That data goes with the first one. I really need to get back over there and work on several things!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:53 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KurtC
One thing that stands out to me is the entry into turn 8. I'm having to slow quite a bit there or my car will just understeer pretty badly. Looks like you're able to turn in at a lot higher speed there.
Might be all of that iron underneath your hood

Hey, how about all of the great racing our DE fees were funding? I saw some awesome driving in every class.

(BTW, there's an eventual winner somewhere in this pic)
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Go, Toby; GO!!!
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KurtC
Thanks, good info! One thing that stands out to me is the entry into turn 8. I'm having to slow quite a bit there or my car will just understeer pretty badly. Looks like you're able to turn in at a lot higher speed there.
You're turning in and apexing way too late. Look at how much track you're leaving at track out.

Late apex turn 7 and get back track left, turn into 8 somewhat aggressively and earlier than you are now. Wait until you've got the car pointing where you want it(apex and beginning of track out curbing line up, roughly) and get back on the gas aggressively. Don't be afraid of the track out curbing there, it's shaped like a bowl and will catch you. You shouldn't be driving the car to the track out curbing, you should be releasing it and letting it go where it wants to go.

http://vimeo.com/2013439
Old 06-03-2010, 03:09 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
BTW, don't kid yourself on those 140hp or less (due to restictor plate) cars. Greg did a fantastic job driving on Sunday. He kept a good pace with people running 2-3 times more power. I believe he was actually faster than Siggi Meissner and Doug Bridges in their GT3s.
Thanks, Loren! I appreciate the compliment. Now that I've gotten home and analyzed some of my traqmate data, I still see a couple of places where I'm braking a little too early. Especially at the end of the back straight before T7 where I could probably go another 100 feet at full throttle.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:08 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
Especially at the end of the back straight before T7 where I could probably go another 100 feet at full throttle.
Don't be so hard on yourself Greg. I'd be pretty happy with being able to put that fine a grain on my braking point for T7. I just kind of look for the 400 ft marker and think "I need to brake somewhere between here and there". Where I actually brake depends on things that cannot be known, measured or understood
Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 PM
KurtC
Instructor

Might be all of that iron underneath your hood
:lol: Definitely not a light car.

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
You're turning in and apexing way too late. Look at how much track you're leaving at track out.

Late apex turn 7 and get back track left, turn into 8 somewhat aggressively and earlier than you are now. Wait until you've got the car pointing where you want it(apex and beginning of track out curbing line up, roughly) and get back on the gas aggressively. Don't be afraid of the track out curbing there, it's shaped like a bowl and will catch you. You shouldn't be driving the car to the track out curbing, you should be releasing it and letting it go where it wants to go.

http://vimeo.com/2013439

Thanks, Greg. I'll work on that next time out.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:17 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be so hard on yourself Greg. I'd be pretty happy with being able to put that fine a grain on my braking point for T7. I just kind of look for the 400 ft marker and think "I need to brake somewhere between here and there". Where I actually brake depends on things that cannot be known, measured or understood
For T7, I was braking at the 300 ft marker last weekend. But then I compared my data to a much more advanced driver who recorded data in my car last Fall and he was going as deep as the 200 ft marker there. It will take some cojones on my part, even in a miata, to go that deep. The car would definitely be on the limit of locking up the brakes with no room for error. But I was finally successful in pushing my T1 braking point deeper, so I need to work on doing the same thing at T7 (and T11 also). But that's why this hobby is so fun. We always have things we can improve!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started analyzing my run data. I am hitting T1 really good, but about half my laps I am turning in too early into T2. I need to pause slightly longer before turning in. I don't believe displacing the entry on T3 and T6 is helping me. It just looks like I am taking up more distance. I am going to try a tighter line next time. For T5 I can't tell if I am turning in too early or turning out after apex too early. It is deceptive because I've already experimented with this turn before and if you wait too late to turn in, you can't climb down to hit the apex.

Originally Posted by TR6
For T7, I was braking at the 300 ft marker last weekend. But then I compared my data to a much more advanced driver who recorded data in my car last Fall and he was going as deep as the 200 ft marker there. It will take some cojones on my part, even in a miata, to go that deep. The car would definitely be on the limit of locking up the brakes with no room for error. But I was finally successful in pushing my T1 braking point deeper, so I need to work on doing the same thing at T7 (and T11 also). But that's why this hobby is so fun. We always have things we can improve!
Russell and Kurt,

You should both be able to brake later. I was braking at the 300' marker. T7 is faster than people think if they start their turn in early, let the car load up as it crest the hill rolling in throttle to keep the back end from getting light and hit a late apex. Look the speed plots comparing Kurt's and mine. This is the most key difference between out plots that I slow down a lot less going into T7.

Greg,

I don't know how well your brakes are working, but I suspect with the lower speed you have on the straight that you could brake in the 250-200' range and still make T7.

Quick Reply: Video from Maverick PCA DE at ECR 5/29/2010