Formula 1 in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:38 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
How are they going to get a gun rack to stay on the rear wing?
F-Duct with some Duct tape
Old 05-25-2010, 06:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, at least USF1 will have a home field advantage...
Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Build an FIA certified circuit/paddock/facilities in 2 years?
Highly improbable IMHO.
I believe South Korea is doing it.

Announced 09 for race this fall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_...tional_Circuit
Old 05-25-2010, 09:19 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Seems odd to me that Tavo Hellmund, the managing partner of the operation "bringing" F1 to the States is so little known. I know it's on the F1 web site, and is an official announcement, and I'm probably wrong, but somehow this doesn't pass the smell test.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100525/F1/100529832
Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 PM
micahbones
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Press release excerpt below:

Formula One returns to the United States

Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited (together, the F1 Commercial Rights Holder) and Full Throttle Productions, LP, promoter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™, announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.

"We are extremely honoured and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights Holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event," stated Tavo Hellmund, Managing Partner of Full Throttle Productions, LP.

Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group stated: "For the first time in the history of Formula One in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event. It was thirty years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, NY (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success. Since then, Formula One has been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all on temporary street circuits. Indianapolis joined the ranks of host cities in 2000 when they added a road course inside the famed oval. Lewis Hamilton won the last Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in 2007, signalling the end to eight years at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This however, will be the first time a facility is constructed from the ground up specifically for Formula One in the US."

Mr. Hellmund added: "This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the 'it' cities in the United States. Austin features that rare combination of ideal geographic location and beauty. Its fine dining, world-renowned hospitality and excellent transportation infrastructure make Austin ideally suited to host and manage an event of this magnitude. Few cities if any in America could rival the connectivity of all the key elements needed for hosting a Formula 1 event as well as Austin. Now, many people around the world will have the opportunity to experience a world-class event, facility and city."

"We are pleased Texas has the opportunity to be involved with Formula 1 and that an event of this magnitude is coming to Austin," said Susan Combs, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. "It has been a pleasure working with Full Throttle Productions, LP and Mr. Hellmund on this project. Their tradition of producing successful major events coupled with a thirty year relationship with Mr. Ecclestone has us looking forward to this worldwide event and the benefits it will bring, including local job creation, increased tourism and a significant economic impact added to our state economy. The visibility and prestige of this event will spotlight our state on an international stage."

Texas Governor Rick Perry conveyed his enthusiasm for the project, explaining "Texas' relatively strong economy continues to draw both national and international attention and I commend Comptroller Combs for her work in bringing this exciting event to the Lone Star State."

City of Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell continued the positive sentiments, adding "The City of Austin will be proud to host this magnificent event and I look forward to welcoming the participants and fans of Formula One to our City."

Full Throttle Productions, LP acknowledges with great appreciation the efforts of all parties involved including Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group, and the local and state officials of Texas.

"It has been a shared vision and monumental task to reach this agreement. We realize that over the last 30 years there have been one or two missing pieces from the previous editions of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™. We have a tremendous opportunity at hand to do it right - to feature Austin as the backdrop and produce the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ as one of the great sporting events in the world," stated Hellmund.

Full Throttle Productions, LP is an Austin, Texas, special event and sports production company that provides event conception, event project management, day of event oversight, staffing and volunteer services, venue planning and logistics support.

More information on the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ will be forthcoming shortly. In the meantime, all queries should be directed to info@fullthrottleproductionslp.com.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

This is very cool
Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

C'mon, VR. You mean to tell us you've been aware of these ramblings for awhile now, and you didn't even throw us a bone? I for one could never have...
Old 05-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
C'mon, VR. You mean to tell us you've been aware of these ramblings for awhile now, and you didn't even throw us a bone? I for one could never have...
I gave my word.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-26-2010, 12:59 AM
KurtC
Instructor

Damn, I'm excited!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:30 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,321 Likes on 618 Posts

there better be a HUGE rennlist party here. I just want to drive the track at some point!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 AM
JBreckeen
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We will see . . . .

Sorry to be a pessamist, but judging by the British Grand Prix over the past 20 years . . .

On again, off again, 10 year contract - no contract, different venue, update Silverstone, update Brands Hatch, update Donnington, cancel all updates, sack head of the BRDC, get a new one, fire him, get a new one, cancel the British Grand Prix, save British Grand Prix, cancel the British Grand Prix, save British Grand Prix, cancel the British Grand Prix, save British Grand Prix . . .

And the same for the French GP as well . . .

Like it was said before, I will believe it when they throw the flag . . . .

But still hoping . . .

JBreckeen
'88 951
Old 05-26-2010, 09:35 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, if they build a new track, and it's up to that standard, then I don't really care if they keep hosting the GP or not; we'll have another great track for the rest of the year!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:48 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more I read, the more crackpot idea this seems. The promotor is still considering three possible sites. Two of the politicians quoted in Bernie's press release were only vaguely aware of the effort.

I've gone from being exicited but skeptical to thinking that this is nothing but Bernie getting a nice check from the promotor to give him the rights with the promotor thinking unrealistically that he can raise big money and support for the effort. Bernie now has a way to quiet the teams and sponsors who wanted a U.S. race while he can pursue other venues who can pay the big money he wants.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 AM
dp35
Pro

Government money? Could be that the state is paying Bernie's fees, leaving the promoter to "only" have to deal with the usual challenges of building a track, etc.

Saw this posted elsewhere:

JoeSaward wrote:
A state tax-incentive programme – known as the Texas Major Events Trust Fund – was revised last year by State Senator Kirk Watson. This return portions of state tax revenue generated by an event to the city or county hosting the event. Senate Bill 1515 opened the fund to all municipalities and counties regardless of population and shifted the focus of the fund away from athletic competitions and specifically mentioned a United States Grand Prix.
JamesAllan wrote:
In addition to the promoter Full Throttle Productions, the event seems to enjoy some backing from state government, possibly along the lines of the “shared risk” business model which has worked well in Singapore where a local government works alongside a promoter and underwrites the major expenses, to the point at which it becomes profitable.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
Government money? Could be that the state is paying Bernie's fees, leaving the promoter to "only" have to deal with the usual challenges of building a track, etc.

Saw this posted elsewhere:
From the Austin American Statesman:
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...in-709355.html

Excerpts: ""This is bigger than national buzz. This is international buzz," said Bill Dollahite, a race car driver and president of Driveway Austin. "We've now got a pin at the center of the map that says we're the capital of Formula One racing in the U.S."

Dollahite said his phone was ringing off the hook Tuesday — and he isn't even connected with the project, merely with racing enthusiasts through his local driving school."
...and...
""I can tell you this facility cost about $250 million," Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage said of his NASCAR track. "(An F1 track) would exceed that.""

That's serious coin...

Quick Reply: Formula 1 in Texas?