Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is Alonso on the backside of his career?
Yes, he will not get any better as a driver than he is now
39.51%
No, Alonso will only get better with Ferrari.
32.10%
Too early to tell.
13.58%
He will make more mistakes than in the past, but still win a WDC or 2
14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Is Alonso on the backside of his career?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What is this by now, 3rd or 4th MAJOR mistake Alonso has done this season? Complete unforced driver errors that has cost him hugely.

That's a lot from any driver, let alone the one who doesn't make any...
Originally Posted by ltc
...Who will be blamed for the blasphemy committed by his team against "he who brought the big sponsor to the team" ?...
It was the other way around, Santander brought the big bucks and with those bucks, demanded Alonso to be the driver.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:30 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Driving for his "dream team", driving "the best car I've ever had", driving for the most famous (and some would say most favored) team in Formula One history, driving with a very large sponsorship package ... and this is what you get?

Completely unacceptable.

Put Sato in the seat NOW
Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,328 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
+1 this is a very elementary thing.... just ask Petrov.

I'm a big Alonso fan and have enjoyed watching him over the years as he is a great talent, but I have to admit the shine is off the star this year.

I hate when Pete brings this up after each snaffu, but in reading this entire thread from start to finish, it cronicles the troubles Alonso has had this year and I can't help but wonder where he might be sitting in the WDC points race had he not made so many mistakes. Regretfully, I think Alonso is now out of contention with this latest DNF.
I just report the facts. Alonso is a nightmare this year and this is coming from a die hard Ferrari fan.

Finn is correct. Santander paid to have Kimi removed, paid Kimi's salary and Alonso's at the same time and didn't cost Ferrari a dime. In the end I'd like to be a fly on the wall of a Sandander Board of Directors meeting when they review their "RETURN ON INVESTMENT" with Alonso at Ferrari -- especially considering the sad state of affairs Sandander is in financial in the EU.

Finn is also correct when he says Alonso never used to make mistakes. He just started this year with the blunders. I can't help but wonder if it is the expectations of him stealing...er I mean earning so much money in salary or the hopes and expectations of not only the most storied racing name in all of motorsports, but the entire country of Italy!

Then there is the constant comparisions of Alonso to Michael Schumacher and Ferrari trying to recapture the absolute magic they had with MS as their #1 driver. I believe Alonso is starting to realize he can never be Michael Schumacher and all that goes along with being the most visible driver in the world. There can only be 1
Old 08-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Finn is also correct when he says Alonso never used to make mistakes. He just started this year with the blunders. I can't help but wonder if it is the expectations of him stealing...er I mean earning so much money in salary or the hopes and expectations of not only the most storied racing name in all of motorsports, but the entire country of Italy!...
Alonso made mistakes before too but not when he won his 2 WDCs and there's a good reason for no mistakes then, and mistakes now:

Alonso always got a but lucky and had a nice lead after just handful of races so from then on, he could just take it easy and make sure he finished. And in multiple occasions he then benefited even more when Kimi's rear wing would fly off or some other freak technical he had.

This time he doesn't have that comfortable lead but instead it's him who is trying to catch and guess what? Mistake after mistake follows...

Quick Reply: Is Alonso on the backside of his career?