Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is Alonso on the backside of his career?
Yes, he will not get any better as a driver than he is now
39.51%
No, Alonso will only get better with Ferrari.
32.10%
Too early to tell.
13.58%
He will make more mistakes than in the past, but still win a WDC or 2
14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Is Alonso on the backside of his career?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
11 days 12 hrs 12 mins 33 seconds to the Canadian GP where the drinks are on Herman
Too bad you won't be there to collect.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
And his car is decreasingly potent.

Every car that he's been in has gotten better while he was in it.
I can't follow your self contradiction.

"If ever car that he's been in has gotten better while he was in it" (presumably based on the assumption that he is the best development driver on the grid)
then how can his car be "decreasingly potent" ?

Surely, Luca and Ferrari have given him # 1 status within the team and disposal to everything that Ferrari has to offer, in addition to the opinion that the FIA will always side/assist with Ferrari.

So, how do you explain this contradiction?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...IMO the speed of the Renaults this year are a direct result of his input from the last two years. I don't know what's up at Ferrari, they are trippin'...
Originally Posted by ltc
Or perhaps the team is just simply better now that she is gone.
Chemistry, environment, morale, strategy, lawyers, FIA investigations, team principal/managers/engineers banned for "strategy", etc....

How much of this year's Renault is a result of how many hours of testing performed by Alonso under an FIA testing ban?
Alonso took Renault to WDC twice, and then took them from a miserable team two years ago to pretty competitive by the end of the year. Had he started with a car as good as the one they built this year, he'd be in good shape.

Every car that he's been in has gotten better while he was in it. I'll take all of the full years of him driving over this slight slump by a team that's not keeping up with the updates any time.
-In 2007 Renault finished 4rd in the Manufacturer's Championship with Kovalainen & Fisichella in 7th & 8th respectively.
NOTE: Renault officially finished 3rd because of the points were taken out from McLaren.
-In 2008 Renault also finished 4th with Alonso & JR. in 5th & 12th respectively.
-In 2009 Renault finished 8th with Alonso & JR. in 9th & 21st (only two teams behind were Force India and Toro Rosso...)

Yeah, Alonso really took a miserable team and turned into a competitive team... If going from 4th to 8th means that.

And things really seem to be improving at Ferrari as the season is progressing...
Old 06-02-2010, 01:06 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I already have a bet with you remember? I picked LH for WDC in 2010, you Fernanda. I'm liking my chances better right now that yours
You and I had no such bet .... please enlighten me . out bets were around Schumacher !.

1. He would not win the WDC .. you picked schumacher !
2. He would win no races this year
2. he would finish 5th and worst in the WDC

I notice you now have amnesia regarding this , but go ahead show me our bet with Hamilton .

Old 06-02-2010, 01:09 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Too bad you won't be there to collect.
Don't look now Larry ......... are you sure !

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
-In 2007 Renault finished 4rd in the Manufacturer's Championship with Kovalainen & Fisichella in 7th & 8th respectively.
NOTE: Renault officially finished 3rd because of the points were taken out from McLaren.
-In 2008 Renault also finished 4th with Alonso & JR. in 5th & 12th respectively.
-In 2009 Renault finished 8th with Alonso & JR. in 9th & 21st (only two teams behind were Force India and Toro Rosso...)

Yeah, Alonso really took a miserable team and turned into a competitive team... If going from 4th to 8th means that.

And things really seem to be improving at Ferrari as the season is progressing...

Still hurting over Kimi huh ! .. what fired from F1 ..........
Old 06-02-2010, 01:17 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by ltc
I can't follow your self contradiction.

"If ever car that he's been in has gotten better while he was in it" (presumably based on the assumption that he is the best development driver on the grid)
then how can his car be "decreasingly potent" ?

Surely, Luca and Ferrari have given him # 1 status within the team and disposal to everything that Ferrari has to offer, in addition to the opinion that the FIA will always side/assist with Ferrari.

So, how do you explain this contradiction?
Oh come on now, a little common sense should preside over the sake of argument.

#1 The season isn't over yet. What team/driver doesn't have ups and downs over the course of a season? It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

#2 Ferrari hasn't done much to improve the car while everyone else is working frantically.

#3 This is Ferrari, who have some ********* of their own, so maybe they don't take as much input from the drivers, where Renault would do whatever he said.

#4 Even if the car doesn't get any better this year. It's STILL pretty much 8 seasons where this has been the case vs 1 season where it wouldn't have been.

Who wouldn't take those odds? Is Schumacher remembered for the 8 (soon to be 9) WDC's he DIDN'T win, or the 7 that he did?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Don't look now Larry ......... are you sure !
Oh, I welcome the opportunity, trust me.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,969 Posts

You and I had no such bet .... please enlighten me . out bets were around Schumacher !.

1. He would not win the WDC .. you picked schumacher !
2. He would win no races this year
2. he would finish 5th and worst in the WDC

I notice you now have amnesia regarding this , but go ahead show me our bet with Hamilton .

Wayne,

Are you backing out of a bet again? After your shift is over at White Castle, go back to your house and check your facts. We've had a running bet the last two years.

Because of your underhanded ways, I put my pick in '09 in moderator escrow WAY before your pick. As it turns out, we both failed miserably thinking FA would win.

In 2010, your pick for WDC was FA again. I never picked MS for the WDC. I picked Hamilton and it's on here in the RL forum somewhere prior to the start of the season. For 2011, ltc should lock up everyones pick at the top. When I get time I'll find it and bring it to your attention.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:22 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Show me the Hamilton Bet Pete , I'm sure it is in print, if it is as you say
Old 06-03-2010, 02:24 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

ahhhh Pete still waiting , where is this bet !!!!

In the time being , some evaluation :

Oh, BTW, SCHUMACHER IS GETTING CLOSER TO THE FRONT OF THE GRID IN CASE YOU DIDN'T NOTICE

Ohh Really ... Hmmmm!!!!.............

2010 FORMULA 1 CHINESE GRAND PRIX
Pos No Driver Team Laps Time/Retired Grid Pts
1 1 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 56 1:46:42.163 5 25
2 2 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 56 +1.5 secs 6 18
3 4 Nico Rosberg Mercedes GP 56 +9.4 secs

2010 FORMULA 1 TURKISH GRAND PRIX
Pos No Driver Team Laps Time/Retired Grid Pts
1 2 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 58 1:28:47.620 2 25
2 1 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 58 +2.6 secs 4 18
3 6 Mark Webber RBR-Renault 58 +24.2 secs 1 15
4 3 Michael Schumacher Mercedes GP 58 +31.1 secs 5 12
5 4 Nico Rosberg Mercedes GP 58 +32.2 secs 6 10

Yes Schumacher has brought the team forward ... LOL.........
Old 06-04-2010, 04:06 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Schumacher hasn't brought the team any closer to the front of the grid, but he's defintely closed the gap on Rosberg. I expect Rosberg to beat MS with less and less consistency until it rarely happens. Schumacher's poor start to the season is to be expected. I'd say look for Mercedes to give up hopes on this year's car fairly soon. They've got to know that Red Bull and possibly Mclaren are going to run away with this. Hopefully MS will be back to normal and ready to drive a more competitive car next year.

Anyone want to guess as to how many more mistakes Alonso will make this year?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:30 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enduro911
Schumacher hasn't brought the team any closer to the front of the grid, but he's defintely closed the gap on Rosberg. I expect Rosberg to beat MS with less and less consistency until it rarely happens. Schumacher's poor start to the season is to be expected. I'd say look for Mercedes to give up hopes on this year's car fairly soon. They've got to know that Red Bull and possibly Mclaren are going to run away with this. Hopefully MS will be back to normal and ready to drive a more competitive car next year.

I fail to see how you reach the conclusion that MS hasn't brought Mercedes closer to the front of the grid. Is MB still 30 seconds behind the Red Bulls? The answer is yes. But, they have leap frogged Ferrari and are now the 3rd quickest on the grid after only their 5th or 6th race this year.

Canada will be their 8th race and I'm hoping for the gap to RB and McLaren to close up more, but make no mistake, the experience and technical feedback a driver of his caliber, coupled with Ross Brawn at the helm cannot be matched anywhere else on the grid.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enduro911

The team is further from the front with MS input than before.... MS is not Yet ahead of Rosberg, take a look at the avg and how much of his gain on Rosberg is from Brawn assistance (if Brawn had pitted Rosberg first in Turkey, he would have shot in front of schumacher) and even after such Both drivers finished nose to tail in turkey, there is no clear Schumacher advantage yet.....

Pete found your glasses or that bet yet !

Last edited by A.Wayne; 06-04-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is no comparison of how MS drove in the first few races and now. He seems to be extracting the most of what the car will do and the fact that Rosberg cannot beat him (although is close) vs. how the season started is saying something.

Wayne, I don't have the time to go back to threads 3 months ago, however, the bet still stands, that is is you still have faith in Alonso. Bottle of Patron, you have WDC going to Alonso, I've got it going to Hamilton. What do you say?
Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

There is no comparison of how MS drove in the first few races and now. He seems to be extracting the most of what the car will do and the fact that Rosberg cannot beat him (although is close) vs. how the season started is saying something.

Wayne, I don't have the time to go back to threads 3 months ago, however, the bet still stands, that is is you still have faith in Alonso. Bottle of Patron, you have WDC going to Alonso, I've got it going to Hamilton. What do you say?

You are not allowed to pick Hamilton, Remember ?

Well not after your 2008 WDC outburst and the fact that you were working with Scotland yard in an attempt to get both Hamilton and Timo Glock prosecuted........

I have you Picking Schumacher in the first thread where we were all giving our WDC pick . I think your exact quote was :

F it ! Schumacher for heevar !!!! So we already have an Alonso vs Schumacher pick !!!!

Quick Reply: Is Alonso on the backside of his career?