Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderhill T14 crash

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:31 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Here we go....... another derailed thread........ from behind, I might add......
Old 04-29-2010, 11:39 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I'm about to start a "Jimmy the Greek" thread. Everyone puts up $20 betting I can't hit a 2:15.5 at the Glen. If I don't (and it isn't a rain out) I have to pay back the $20 + 10 points, if I do... it's a wash..
Old 04-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Cool it children.

Somewhat OT, if you were in a situation where you know you're going to hit the wall, how would you hit it? I'd want to hit it head on as most safety equipment works best in that direction, also you've got the biggest crumple zone. Thoughts?
From experience - a good friend of mine lost his brakes going into turn 1 at Thunderbolt. Probably going 130+ in his GT3. He had an option and decided to hit the tire wall straight on. Came away without a scratch and only (only?) $10K damage to the car. Straight in is the best. All of your saftey gear and all of the crumple zones in modern cars are designed for that. If he had hit on an angle, he would probably have bent the car. Who knows if he would have gotten hurt in the process.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Everyone puts up $20 betting I can't hit a 2:15.5 at the Glen.
Are you talking about a lap time or the 2:15.5 sign in the bus stop? If you are talking about the sign, I know that you can do it.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Sign. And I used to like you...

Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Jimmy "the Greek"...... how appropriate Gary.......
Old 04-30-2010, 12:04 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I think this year will be one for the books. A 2:13.x was the D record, look for some new faces in that arena.. glad you are on the ball Paolo and got the behind/Greek thing..
Old 04-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Are you talking about a lap time or the 2:15.5 sign in the bus stop? If you are talking about the sign, I know that you can do it.
Oh, and until you aren't WALKING the track in your hightops, your $.02 doesn't count!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:27 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

all that is very debatable. speed doesnt kill, its the sudden stop.

sure, if you can stuff your car into the tire wall head on and they are all tires and nothing behind it, you might survive. however, put a wall behind it and Ill take an angle, and lose the car any day of the race weekend. my crash, for example would have killed me for sure, had it not been for the slight angle I hit the wall at. an angle will more than likely save your life. our turn 14 friend was able to lose a lot of energy on his approach to the wall and spread out the forces much more than if he hit head on. the more rolling an tumbling, the better.

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
From experience - a good friend of mine lost his brakes going into turn 1 at Thunderbolt. Probably going 130+ in his GT3. He had an option and decided to hit the tire wall straight on. Came away without a scratch and only (only?) $10K damage to the car. Straight in is the best. All of your saftey gear and all of the crumple zones in modern cars are designed for that. If he had hit on an angle, he would probably have bent the car. Who knows if he would have gotten hurt in the process.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:34 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Not at all. I just cant stand someone that insults someone without an clue of a fact and makes their opinion seem as fact. The biggest problem I have with your posts, is that you have to add an insult to the analysis as well. Project much?

The turn 14 drver lost his brakes, did a great job of avoiding the car in front, and hitting the wall until the last possible point by a nice pitch turn around turn 14. a downshift would have been the only thing he could have done to save or dodge the damage.

He didnt run out of talent.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Why do you get SO angry and defensive and hostile if anyone dares to disagree with your "analysis"? Do you feel threatened by any opinion other than your own?

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 04-30-2010, 02:49 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
my crash, for example would have killed me for sure, had it not been for the slight angle I hit the wall at.
...and makes their opinion seem as fact.
What were you saying again?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Oh, and until you aren't WALKING the track in your hightops, your $.02 doesn't count!
Can I drove your car?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

all that is very debatable. speed doesnt kill, its the sudden stop.

sure, if you can stuff your car into the tire wall head on and they are all tires and nothing behind it, you might survive. however, put a wall behind it and Ill take an angle, and lose the car any day of the race weekend.
I'm sure that Dale Earnhardt would not agree with you here. I'm just saying........
Old 04-30-2010, 09:32 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Can't see the vid at work. As to what angle is best for an impact. In an track built car I will take a clean straight in front or rear* impact over an off angle any day. Slight off angle looks like a real killer. There not enough to soak energy but enough to dirty up the G forces and reduce the value of the belting, seating and H&N systems used. Hands and feet off the controls just before impact is good form. Watch the F1 guys. They are trained to go fetal just prior to an impact.

*rear impact with a good seating system, not a 4 bolts only plastic seat.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Cold tires?

Quick Reply: Thunderhill T14 crash