Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

VR owes him an apology.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

what terms are you refering to?

I understand your frustration, so let me explain:
Ther is car orientation relative to the object or wall you are going to hit. then, there is a path of travel. I was callling that trajectory vs orientation. trajectory, in my loosly correct use of the term is the directon of travel for the car. orientation is what direction the car is pointing when it makes contact. they can be independent. So, I thought I was very clear on NOT mixing up the two, but I guess I was wrong. Sorry about the confusion.

Now, my impact was as I said. I hit the wall at a 45 degree angle and my car's orientation was neutral, meaning it was aligned with its path of travel. subsequently, my impact was at a 45 degree angle and my car hit at a 45 degree angle, spreading the forces across a greater aerea than if I hit a wall that was straight on. that accident, i had no control of it, however, in my brake line failure, I did have a choice to save it, similar, to our Thunderhill accident viewed here. The point is, regardless of the other car, he had a choice to drive straight into the tires and wall, or make a arc'ing turn and hit it at an angle. he did the right thing. The only thing he could have done, would have been to blip, and downshift a gear from 4th to 3rd, and he didnt, but there wasnt a lot of time, where I had a little more time to do that.

I think the decision to go head into a wall vs glancing it really depends on the situation. generally, I would bet that it most always pays to try and angle the impact if you can for several reasons.

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
You're still mixing up terms whcih is why people get frustrated in debating you.

There is the the direction the car is traveling relatvie to the wall and the direction in which the car is facing when it impacts the wall. They are two different things. You mix and match this at will.

You still haven't answered the questions about your impact? Your car was travelling at a 45 degree angle to the wall, but what was the cars orientation relative to your direction of travel.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
VR owes him an apology.
Whatever you say, Mark.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-02-2010, 11:52 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

one hell of a wreck...after seeing the pictures there is no such thing as an "overbuilt" race car.... Prior to this I would have questioned all that bracing in the footwell....NOT NOW.... It makes my 1.75x .120 DOM bar going forward from the down tube look like nothing....

The talk of the paddock was about how brutal the wreck was & the fact that he walked away...due to the well built car and proper safety equipment...I am glad I run the same harness-seat-helmet and hans that he did!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Whatever you say, Mark.

Hey, you are the one that spewed out errors and insults with your assessement. Remember, you said, he ran out of talent first. (wrong, as he did exactly what any of us would have done). second, you said then he locked up his brakes. (wrong, as he didnt have any brakes to lock up. )
You just hate it, because Im the only one that calls you on your BS here!

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
one hell of a wreck...after seeing the pictures there is no such thing as an "overbuilt" race car.... Prior to this I would have questioned all that bracing in the footwell....NOT NOW.... It makes my 1.75x .120 DOM bar going forward from the down tube look like nothing....

The talk of the paddock was about how brutal the wreck was & the fact that he walked away...due to the well built car and proper safety equipment...I am glad I run the same harness-seat-helmet and hans that he did!!!

Actually, its more of a tribute to the thunderhill folks for putting that layer of tires and K-wall to do exactly what it was supposed to do. he hit the tires, at an angle, took out some energy, the car then hurled upward and over the wall, releasing more energy , until the car rested. if you look at the car itself, it didnt take that much of a hit. (EDIT: for how fast he was going) straight in or angled in and coming to an uneventful stop, is the scary stuff. My ribs still hurt after 7 months, and very lucky that my head stayed attached to my neck. . The human body can take a ton of flipping and spinning. Just talk to Joey Hand. . thats a classic example of how I want to slow down from 140mph. (as long as there is no fire afterward)
Old 05-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Mark, I am not going to promote another 5 page verbal barrage by you, but I stand by my original assessment. He went in WAY too fast for the line he was taking, then suffered the consequences when his equipment failed. Thus, as I said, he first ran out of talent, irrespective of how well his car was built.

Now, please by all means defend to the death your point of view. I'm done!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:04 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Having driven that track at about 5 seconds faster than this guy was driving and for having track time on it for over 15 years, i can say you are more than wrong. you can see AND hear when the driver goes for the brake, and that is right where I would go for it, and he is going a LOT slower than our race group drives that straight and the following turn. You are going from guessing, and I, and others, on the thread are going from EXPERIENCE.

No 5 page debate here, this one is pretty clear. you are wrong, and will never admit it. "Too fast"??? Now that is funny! Yeah, just so happens the one time he overcooks the straight, his brake line blows out. sure, whatever VR!

So, you stand by your assessement? based on what? Have you ever driven Thunderhill? do you know where the braking points are in a 120mph, 110, or miata 100mph car? any clue at all? Of course you dont, because you have NO experience and have done NO research other than spouting off crap from the top of your head.

Mark, I am not going to promote another 5 page verbal barrage by you, but I stand by my original assessment. He went in WAY too fast for the line he was taking, then suffered the consequences when his equipment failed. Thus, as I said, he first ran out of talent, irrespective of how well his car was built.

Now, please by all means defend to the death your point of view. I'm done!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3q_Nyv3FBc

anyone wanting to prove that this car didnt suffer (a depletion of talent) just watch my braking point at about 2:15 on the link provided. We run a lot faster than the AI cars down that portion of track and our braking points are just passed the bridge. The AI Camaro, lifted and went from the brakes at the bridge which is BEFORE even the number 4 marker? and your a "professional race coach". Seriously, If you cant review correctly a simple tape of someone racing and having an issue, what other things are you getting way wrong in your paid services. Gezzzz!!
When you lose brakes, all sorts of bad things can happen.

Go ahead, do a side by side video comparison. oh, how about this: watch the car in front, he hits his brakes even deeper than this drivers attemp and has no issues with the turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu0Wt98TT6c

Last edited by mark kibort; 05-03-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a good way to improve my enjoyment of this thread. The bickering between you guys ruins many good discussions.
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick
I found a good way to improve my enjoyment of this thread. The bickering between you guys ruins many good discussions.
LMAO! What bickering? I say 4 words ("whatever you say Mark") and get 500 word diatribes in triplicate in response. Lose the skirt---that isin't bickering.

Actually, whiny thin-skinned folks like you ruin many good discussions. I could not give two ****s if you have me on ignore.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:31 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

VR, I knew you would be back!

Hey, Its all fun here, no one should get their panties in a bunch over any of this

I agree with you VR, and it cracks me up. If you dont want to read the posts, dont read them. Its like someone is holding a gun to their head to read these discussions. i dont know about you, but if Im not interested, I dont read it and surely dont care.

anyway, back to the debate. less filling!

Mk

LMAO! What bickering? I say 4 words ("whatever you say Mark") and get 500 word diatribes in triplicate in response. Lose the skirt---that isin't bickering.

Actually, whiny thin-skinned folks like you ruin many good discussions. I could not give two ****s if you have me on ignore.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:34 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

VR, I knew you would be back!

Hey, Its all fun here, no one should get their panties in a bunch over any of this

I agree with you VR, and it cracks me up. If you dont want to read the posts, dont read them. Its like someone is holding a gun to their head to read these discussions. i dont know about you, but if Im not interested, I dont read it and surely dont care.

anyway, back to the debate. less filling!

45mins and you came back to give me a face palm! ha ha ha.
Hey, you owe camaro-boy an apology. You do! He wasnt passed the normal braking point, wasnt going too fast, and didnt lock up his brakes. thats 3 strikes pal!

Mk

Old 05-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
That looks like one solidly built car.
I agree...anyone have info (or contacts) of who built the cage? I'd like to learn more about the physics of the supports in the foot area as well as the tie-in of the cage tubing to the A-pillar.

This really makes me re-think my own cage...even though my car is much slower (and I'm even slower than my car!), I'm always interested in what I can do to make things safer.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
I agree...anyone have info (or contacts) of who built the cage? I'd like to learn more about the physics of the supports in the foot area as well as the tie-in of the cage tubing to the A-pillar.

This really makes me re-think my own cage...even though my car is much slower (and I'm even slower than my car!), I'm always interested in what I can do to make things safer.

Cheers,

Rick
http://www.blainefabrication.com/

Quick Reply: Thunderhill T14 crash