Sponsored by:

Cheap trailers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:48 PM
rcarpen22
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheap trailers

I've been pulling a featherlite for a few years now and I am about to buy an enclosed trailer. I know this has been discussed a lot, but most of the threads I found are fairly outdated. It seems like there are a lot of lesser-known manufacturers out there offering great deals on trailers. I am looking at MTI and Cargo South right now. I would like to hear opinions on these (or other cheap) brands. The MTI trailer I'm looking at has 5,000# torsion axles, electric brakes, internal electrical package, and is all aluminum. It's $8,000 brand new. The Cargo South trailers are steel frame, but have Dexter alxles and offer a lot of nice options and they are even cheaper. It just doesn't seem like you have to pay a lot for a trailer to get a good one. Thoughts?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Find an unfinished aluminum trailer, preferably 24' V-Nose, and you will have a good long-lasting basis to work from. If you can find a used one already outfitted (or not) that's your best bet. Titan seems like it would be marginal towing a fully loaded steel enclosed trailer but you know what it can do better than I..
Old 04-26-2010, 02:08 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many more details to a trailer than steel/alum and axle sizing.

If you arent careful, you'll end up w/ a budget landscaping trailer rather than a car carrier :P

Look for how many steel posts there are, dovetail rear section, interiors, etc.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:31 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one from team spirit. It is a 24 footer and was their "racer" line. I am the scond owner and have been very happy with it. Basic, but effective and nice price. Good when new and a seal 1 year old. (PO had to get out of racing).

http://www.teamspirittrailers.com/newsite/index.html

It is thier "racer" model.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:45 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I have a Pace 24' enclosed and it's been decent although the roof edges need a lot of tending too since it sits out and the weather takes its tole on the cauking. Otherwise I like it.

Tom
Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

My friend has two set up trailers for sale now. Search on rennlist for INVERTERMAN and send him an email or PM for details.

Good luck,

Joe
Old 04-26-2010, 03:49 PM
rcarpen22
Racer

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, Titan is probably not suited for an enclosed steel trailer, but I really don't want to buy a giant deisel truck. That's why I was so interested in that all aluminum MTI. Will definitely look up INVERTERMAN.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:14 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the Titan would be ok for a 20ft box (steel) with 3500lbs axles. Then you would be a 7000lbs max load and if you pack light you will be ok. Not great, but probably fine.

Going bigger than 20 ft on 1/2 ton is less than ideal. I know one 944 racer that tows a 24 Vnose (really a 20footer with 4 ft V) with an Expeditions (no not the excursion). Not that I would do it, but it can be done. No need to go aluminum for Titan. That thing is rated at 9k I think. Keep the trailer under 7k and don't pack too much and you should be ok.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with an unconventional solution that I've been very happy with.

It's a United UXT 7'x18', lowered to 6' interior height, with an escape door on the left front, extended lip on the ramp. It's steel, 2,750lbs empty with 16" OC side supports. The narrower width requires that I fold in the side mirrors to get in, but with the escape door, it's not hard to get out, and it's much easier to see around and easier to tow. With an appearance package including aluminum wheels, sealed bearings (no more repacking bearings!), and oversized 225 tires, it was still well under $6K new. I get 3 more MPG towing than my old 8.5' x 16' full height trailer as well. About 12 Sq. foot less frontal area. Makes it easy for my Q7 to tow, which is rated for a lot less than your Titan.

Slightly harder to get in & out, but otherwise all upsides to the narrower width.

Last edited by Sterling Doc; 04-26-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:03 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

I picked up a 24ft steel RC trailer last year~$6500 made to my specs. The funny thing with the trailer industry they are all grouped in pockets of the country. I went to pick mine up at the factory, Haulmark was the next build and Pace was across the street, they say the guys just move from one to the other. So they all are pretty much made the same.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:55 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by pmason
I picked up a 24ft steel RC trailer last year~$6500 made to my specs. The funny thing with the trailer industry they are all grouped in pockets of the country. I went to pick mine up at the factory, Haulmark was the next build and Pace was across the street, they say the guys just move from one to the other. So they all are pretty much made the same.
Made by same workers doesnt mean made to same specs. Just goto a track event and walk around the paddock. You'll see the differences.

Honda, Hyundai and BMWs are made in same general areas of the southeast, I guess they are all made the same too. :dunno
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rcarpen22
Thanks for the feedback. I agree, Titan is probably not suited for an enclosed steel trailer, but I really don't want to buy a giant deisel truck. That's why I was so interested in that all aluminum MTI. Will definitely look up INVERTERMAN.
Titan tows just fine assuming it has the tow package options. I tow a 24ft. Get a load stabilizer. We have at least 4 guys in our club towing 24s with Titans. The only issue is the engine can easily tow up hill at 2500rpms which is hard on the external trans cooler. Most guys just throttle up hills locking the torque convertor to keep the temps lower. I would prefer a diesel for the gas mileage.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I looked at MTI before order a Pace but was not impressed with the build quality, fit, or finish of the MTI so I steered clear.

Marc
Old 04-27-2010, 01:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

if you come off featherlight (one of the best open traielrs), i am not sure u be too happy with a cheapie enclosed. and you really want to over built it. i have a triple axle with 5000# axle (15000#) but i will never go over 10k. but i like safety. i dont know why some trailers are much more $ than others. but when my friends who have towed for years, towed my trailer, they wont give it back. invest in a good box and build from there
Old 04-27-2010, 08:23 AM
rcarpen22
Racer

I agree Mooty. I'm going to specify tandem 5,000# axles, but will never load it more than 4,000# total (plus the weight of the trailer). My car is under 2500# so plenty of capacity left for other stuff.

Quick Reply: Cheap trailers