Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aero - Make a difference at speed? You bet - CODE BROWN.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 04:27 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

good points. Could also be set up as well. too stiff for the short slower areas, while optimized for the more critical areas of the track.

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Power Band, Gearing, Stickiest tires vs. DP spec tires (narrows gap of corner exit speed), ability to put power down (2wd vs AWD), VTEC etc.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:30 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Cd is a meaningless number!!! It was created by ad agencies to sell cars. Put a front spoiler on an Eldorado to increase the frontal area and it can beat a lotus 7 in Cd. Guess which one has less DRAG?? Drag is what counts. Like Torque, right?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:45 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
You tell me how it is slower in the short straight.
I don't need to. Acording to others it is. funny stuff and I am not rying to have a VR-MK type contest. Some reasons that are being offered up for the evo faster in the section in question are the same reasons that are used to say the DP are faster overall. "dp has lots of drag but is faster in the corners- EVO might have sticky tires- DP is high drag but small frontal...

Still can't esplane the 200 mph out of 500 hp.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Its hardly meaningless, as it tells you much about the drag profile of an object, and is dimensionless. However, to OUR point, its about drag. NOT like torque, because that can be at the engine or at the rear wheels, and still not a clear factor until you know the size of the rear tires, but it is more "Like" Force, at the rear tires.

Originally Posted by analogmike
Cd is a meaningless number!!! It was created by ad agencies to sell cars. Put a front spoiler on an Eldorado to increase the frontal area and it can beat a lotus 7 in Cd. Guess which one has less DRAG?? Drag is what counts. Like Torque, right?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:43 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

i think the reasons given are good ones. tires, 4x4 application of power, set up stiffness, but I dont buy the gearing , as the DPs are close ratio and HP curves, as those fast and furious mobiles have probably similar peaky power curves to the DPs, which among themselves have different power curve shapes, but are even in most sections of most race courses.

What cant you explain about 200mph and 500hp? Its about what you need to do it, and they do it all the time at those open road races. I dont have the exact facts in front of me, but at 440rwhp they ran 200mph and I think at 520rwhp they did 209mph.

Originally Posted by kurt M
I don't need to. Acording to others it is. funny stuff and I am not rying to have a VR-MK type contest. Some reasons that are being offered up for the evo faster in the section in question are the same reasons that are used to say the DP are faster overall. "dp has lots of drag but is faster in the corners- EVO might have sticky tires- DP is high drag but small frontal...

Still can't esplane the 200 mph out of 500 hp.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
I wouldn't say it's meaningless but I know what you mean. F1 car has a lot of drag also. Not if you think how much downforce it creates but otherwise.

Simply & roughly put, F1 car's drag is as much as if it had a vertical piece of plywood as wide & high as the car is on it's nose.
Lift a throttle on a F1 car and it slows down as much as regular cars do when standing on it's brakes.

Quick Reply: Aero - Make a difference at speed? You bet - CODE BROWN.