Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aero - Make a difference at speed? You bet - CODE BROWN.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Static aero load simulation is quite simple -- we did it years ago on this car

But back to the original topic, sure glad to see that guy climb out of that thing on his own!!!
How did the driver manage to do that? When I go agricultural, the dirt isn't in bags. Guess that is why I am not a pro.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
right, his speeds listed were pure BS. Bud really sad that it happened.
Just threw the 06 STI gear stack into my calculator and unless he's messed with the final drive or gear stack the numbers he's posting are pretty close to what I got. When I saw the car at UTCC last year it definitely had some serious acceleration, more than the other cars around it's lap time, it just was a bit more of a pig in the corners than the likes of Watts and the other 2 minute lappers. Very striking how the car leapt out of Nascar and towards left hook, only the TransAm, Challenger and Riley really looked much quicker.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Just threw the 06 STI gear stack into my calculator and unless he's messed with the final drive or gear stack the numbers he's posting are pretty close to what I got. When I saw the car at UTCC last year it definitely had some serious acceleration, more than the other cars around it's lap time, it just was a bit more of a pig in the corners than the likes of Watts and the other 2 minute lappers. Very striking how the car leapt out of Nascar and towards left hook, only the TransAm, Challenger and Riley really looked much quicker.
Over on Bimmerforums, he said he shifted between 7500-8000 RPM into 6th (a rather large range) with stock gearing, which would put him at 150-160 when entering the esses. He also posted his R100 tire size, and Hoosier indicates it's a 25.5" diameter, so my numbers should be spot on.

Krause posted the data from the Riley car...it's only doing 140 at the entrance to the esses. I have a really hard time believing he's doing 10+ mph more than the Riley at that point on track. Unfortunately, I don't think he has data, but I suspect he's short shifting into 6th before the esses.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Over on Bimmerforums, he said he shifted between 7500-8000 RPM into 6th (a rather large range) with stock gearing, which would put him at 150-160 when entering the esses. He also posted his R100 tire size, and Hoosier indicates it's a 25.5" diameter, so my numbers should be spot on.

Krause posted the data from the Riley car...it's only doing 140 at the entrance to the esses. I have a really hard time believing he's doing 10+ mph more than the Riley at that point on track. Unfortunately, I don't think he has data, but I suspect he's short shifting into 6th before the esses.
Yeah I think I have the data from the Riley on the memory stick somewhere in my office I need to dust it off. I don't have the GRM data issue handy though.

I've asked multiple times for data and received no reply at all over on NASIOC.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

You know +/- 10 mph really isn't the point.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:10 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I am 3 seconds a lap faster than him and my data shows 125 max speed into the esses. No way he's that fast, I can tell just by the video.

He shows 104 MPH at the exit of T5 and my car (which must handle better) is at 77mph. He also missed the shift to 5th (twice?) which loses speed into the esses.

Does not compute.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Well here's a video from another STi with similar HP. 145 before slowing for the esses.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow...personally speaking, I dig STi's. Great cars. They can really be setup really well to run rather quickly.

C.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 AM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

As someone that has seen the Redline Time Attack cars run out here on the west coast, I can attest that the well developed cars will blow the doors off most everything any of us are used to seeing at a club race. Bear in mind that these cars are built for one fast lap and one lap only. I know that a certain Scion TC runs up to 54psi of boost that is dash adjustable and when the wick is turned up he has a lap and a half or so before the motor is done. I do not know anything about the STI in question but if it is competitive with the cars we see here on the west coast, I have no problem believing that it is significantly faster than a Cup car in strait away speeds. I was crewing for a ~500hp 2600lb Nissan 350Z with a xtrac gearbox and everything else you put into a real race car and we were getting absolutely destroyed down the straightaways by the boost buggies.

Watching the Mod class 4wd cars rocket down the pit strait at Spring Mountain, you really get an appreciation for the corner exit speeds possible when you can put down ~600hp 50ft before the RWD cars.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:40 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Here's a picture of the failed part:

Revised pre-crash mounting:

Original no-issue mounting:

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Old 04-07-2010, 08:16 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Not sure if I'd call that kind of installation prudent... a huge wing mounted WAY high in the airflow with zero lateral support, screwed to the EDGE of a CF trunk lid no less ... The trunk mount would've failed under lateral stress anyways if the wing didn't...

I'm glad the driver walked away, but there's a sore lack of common sense behind all this...
Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

so, in the end, it was less than 50lbs of rearward force that tore that part to pieces. sometimes good old aluminum is the way to go. that decklid probably could handle it with some good backing plates. there seems to be extremes in all areas of wing mounting. some use 1/2" steel welded to the chassis (unneeded due to the rearward forces in sports car wings) and some do what the STi Did. I use a 3/8th inch aluminum sheet, bent at the bottom and two grade 8 bolts. why, because thats what the cup cars come with . (at least the aluminum part). if you can pull your car out of the garage by the wing, you have enough strength. (and not hear cracking noises. )

This was my first test with adding weight. (no soil bags around, so I used the gym weights. ) I ended up putting 200lbs on there and it seemed to be stable. its been run to 150mph, but not much more. who knows what would happen at Cal Speedway. I might add a few more bolts.
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Do you think it was rearward force or was it lateral force because of the lack of lateral stability because the uprights were made taller? If that mount was shaking back and forth wouldn't the carbon fiber mounting tab eventually fatigue? Especially since it flexes more than the aluminum upright would, wouldn't the upright act like a lever on that tab?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:43 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I guess that could be a factor, but I havnt seen too many wings, even the ones that are way up high, have any real lateral forces on them. (unless you get into a slide ) . but yes, a little vibration, that would be a non issue for metal, might be a huge factor for CF. we saw this with a CF intake that was used on a 600hp 928 engine. it cracked due to the slight swelling over and over again, and then, it blew, leaned out a cylinder, caused detonation and the engine was toast. anyway, that could have been the factor, lateral forces, but the forward and back forces of slow vs high speeds could have done it too. at that front point, its just a tear point waiting for a little fatique and material breakdown, to give way. once it starts, it just tears away, as you saw.

Originally Posted by Darren
Do you think it was rearward force or was it lateral force because of the lack of lateral stability because the uprights were made taller? If that mount was shaking back and forth wouldn't the carbon fiber mounting tab eventually fatigue? Especially since it flexes more than the aluminum upright would, wouldn't the upright act like a lever on that tab?
Old 04-07-2010, 03:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

HP is HP (along with thier ratio to weight). Ive seen them as well, and have run with them as well as compared them to others on the track. The redline time attack out west at laguna seca, put the evo 4x4 evo right near the front at 1:31 on DOTs. The NSX was the fastest and there was a 600hp Sti, not too far back and a couple more that blew up. anyway, the point is, down the straight in a WC race, they had no advantage over anything there. the WC cup cars were faster all the way around, and when at laguna, they would be destroyed. destroyed being by over 3 seconds a lap, and these are cars that run an hour, not one lap. (i.e. 1:29s at Laguna WCGT). Sure, if one has 600-800hp as rumored, they will run away if both were coming off a turn at the same speed. since that rarely happens, its hard to compare, but we all have seen the new cup cars run at a track near us. at laguna, stock cup cars run 1:29 as well, without all the motor, but a little lighter and with slicks. Seeing the telemetry of a common 4x4 turbo'ed time attack like car, showed me top speeds very close to what all the other hopped up cars see, porsche NA or other. Now, this is speaking from a track like laguna or Thunderhill with speeds rarely over 140 by most. And, watching the well sorted cup cars vs the turbo boost cars in WC, it sure didnt seem like anyone was pulling on anyone out of the corners, in fact, it always seemed like the cup cars were getting the jump on the boost buggies, from the in car clips Ive seen. The car that is posting winning time attack times, or would win time attacks now, is the NSX by billy and might be by Kip in his NSX as well, and they are boost and rear wheel drive.

Originally Posted by Evan Fullerton
As someone that has seen the Redline Time Attack cars run out here on the west coast, I can attest that the well developed cars will blow the doors off most everything any of us are used to seeing at a club race. Bear in mind that these cars are built for one fast lap and one lap only. I know that a certain Scion TC runs up to 54psi of boost that is dash adjustable and when the wick is turned up he has a lap and a half or so before the motor is done. I do not know anything about the STI in question but if it is competitive with the cars we see here on the west coast, I have no problem believing that it is significantly faster than a Cup car in strait away speeds. I was crewing for a ~500hp 2600lb Nissan 350Z with a xtrac gearbox and everything else you put into a real race car and we were getting absolutely destroyed down the straightaways by the boost buggies.

Watching the Mod class 4wd cars rocket down the pit strait at Spring Mountain, you really get an appreciation for the corner exit speeds possible when you can put down ~600hp 50ft before the RWD cars.

Quick Reply: Aero - Make a difference at speed? You bet - CODE BROWN.