Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Bar padding

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

I was talking side bars, so if my legs touched those, they would have to be pulled out of my torso. . A pillar, i can see that in some cases. mine barely protrudes, but it could hit a leg in a high speed rollover, so yes that would get a little foam padding like my old cage had.

Ouch for the guy you knew with the M3. I know about high speed impacts, but not one that has multiple impacts, and I dont want to know (or experience). so yes, Ill try and put the pads on areas that count.

Originally Posted by 924RACR
???

Leg was snapped against an a-pillar bar. Yes, there were other injuries, like broken ribs etc. Hit a concrete block with an M3 so hard as to snap the concrete block in half, lay it over flat on the backing armco, and shatter the engine block of the car. He was on crutches all summer.

Tell me again, WHY NOT?!?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:09 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Actually - his case was a single hit, perfectly sideways! And not particularly high-speed... just hard...
Old 03-31-2010, 09:40 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Thanks guys! now, it seems likethe side bars might not need to be padded as if my legs did touch those, i would have bigger problems than that. However, i guess if you have belt failure and were bounced around the cabin, you might be able to hit the front over head bars.
so, is the concensus, the bar around the top of your head , even the front bar, which you cant reach with your head, even in a frontal crash, unless your head comes off, or your belts break?
If you have to ask you know the answer. You are a rag doll when you are in the middle of a wreck. Your legs, arms and body will try and hit whatever is on the other end of the energy. Watch the VIR-subbie video that is making the rounds, it too was a hard drivers side hit. The subbie guy busted the wheel with his legs from a drivers side hit. The good padding is what, $13 a 3 foot stick? I installed padded leg boards to help prevent fulcrum breaks but even they can't stop your body from deforming and moving around a lot more than folks might think.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:35 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
From the PCA rule book:

"Any portion of the assembly which may come in contact with the driver’s helmet must be covered with high density foam 3/4" thick held securely in place with zip ties, electrical tape or duct tape. Foam must be equivalent to SFI 45.1 or FIA 8857 standards for hardness."
Thread revival. What portions of a bar would this entail exactly? I only have a half bar, so all the tubing is behind the seat. Is any of this worth padding? i.e. B-pillar, any portion of the main hoop? From the pics I've seen, I don't recall anyone padding any portions of a cage behind the seat??
Old 03-17-2012, 01:15 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not unless any portion of your body could come in contact with it- usually just a-pillar, side and head bars and knee bars.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:20 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
not unless any portion of your body could come in contact with it- usually just a-pillar, side and head bars and knee bars.
Thanks! What I figured but wanted to be sure.

Quick Reply: Roll Bar padding