Sponsored by:

Roll Bar padding

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Roll Bar padding

My replacement racer for the one taken from me last season, is almost done.
Just needs paint and some minor tweaks, but it could be ready in a week or two if needed.

Anyone know the rules for roll bar padding ? is it just the area that could come in contact with your head or legs, and does that mean, all the bars near you, including the nascar wannabe side bars?

Here are a couple of pics. let me know, as I couldnt find that part in the SCCA rulebook.

there is an event at the Club Autosport, and the SCCA folks will be there to do tech inspections. I think I might wan to go to get this thing a log book. now, got to find some temp numbers, as I still need to paint this thing RED.

Also, there is a head restraint bar, which I really didnt want, but its there and I have to deal with it. what kind of padding should I wrap this with. I heard they make the hard padding, in 1" diameter, which I think this tube is that size. obviously the rest is 1.75" Does anyone think those added bars are a bad idea? I certainly dont need them on the passenger side, but now, until I get a full restraint seat, is it better to have them there?
Attached Images   
Old 03-29-2010, 09:03 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always used the SFI rated stuff, 45.1, I think it is. Its pretty firm, but when you hit it with your helmet on you don't even notice its there. Its a bit rough for other areas of the body (knees, elbows, etc) but doesn't leave any bruises usually just a bit tender after a weekend. The other thing you have to consider is how it will hold up in an incident. The firm stuff might be uncomfortable in normal conditions but is safer if you hit it with any serious force. The soft stuff will compress too much and it will be as if it wasn't even there.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I agree. I got away from all the soft stuff a long time ago. (ive only used the SFI stuff, but maybe a little strip of the soft stuff by the feet area of the cage)

My question is where the padding is required to go. can the door bars be naked, but the A and B pillars have to be covered . would the front A pillars have to be covered, or only the horizontal bar around your head, and behind in the head area. I cant find the ruling and it seems silly to put the padding down the A pillar area, because your head could never touch that, unless it came off . maybe they want pads for your hands too. anyway, whats the rule?

thanks

Mark

Originally Posted by 2BWise
I've always used the SFI rated stuff, 45.1, I think it is. Its pretty firm, but when you hit it with your helmet on you don't even notice its there. Its a bit rough for other areas of the body (knees, elbows, etc) but doesn't leave any bruises usually just a bit tender after a weekend. The other thing you have to consider is how it will hold up in an incident. The firm stuff might be uncomfortable in normal conditions but is safer if you hit it with any serious force. The soft stuff will compress too much and it will be as if it wasn't even there.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I agree. I got away from all the soft stuff a long time ago. (ive only used the SFI stuff, but maybe a little strip of the soft stuff by the feet area of the cage)

My question is where the padding is required to go. can the door bars be naked, but the A and B pillars have to be covered . would the front A pillars have to be covered, or only the horizontal bar around your head, and behind in the head area. I cant find the ruling and it seems silly to put the padding down the A pillar area, because your head could never touch that, unless it came off . maybe they want pads for your hands too. anyway, whats the rule?

thanks

Mark

From the PCA rule book:

"Any portion of the assembly which may come in contact with the driver’s helmet must be covered with high density foam 3/4" thick held securely in place with zip ties, electrical tape or duct tape. Foam must be equivalent to SFI 45.1 or FIA 8857 standards for hardness."
Old 03-30-2010, 08:51 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For NASA, and I suspect SCCA, any bars that could come in contact with the body must be covered. This includes door and knee bars.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:05 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I seem to recall that SCCA only required it to be the helmet-related bars.

Why would you not pad the **** out of it, though? I know guys who have broken bones on cage bars - like legs...
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default SFI Rollbar Padding

SFI padding will not melt if it catches on fire. Although if there's an issue where the rollbar padding catches on fire, I think you have more problems that just that!

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...t.asp?scat=320

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

My replacement racer for the one taken from me last season, is almost done.
Just needs paint and some minor tweaks, but it could be ready in a week or two if needed.
See ya at Miller for NASA Nationals?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paradisenb
For NASA, and I suspect SCCA, any bars that could come in contact with the body must be covered. This includes door and knee bars.
NASA:

15.6.4 Padding
All roll cage surfaces that may come in contact with the driver should be padded with high-density padding such as Ethafoam or Ensolite. It is recommended that padding meeting SFI specification 45.1 be used.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! now, it seems likethe side bars might not need to be padded as if my legs did touch those, i would have bigger problems than that. However, i guess if you have belt failure and were bounced around the cabin, you might be able to hit the front over head bars.
so, is the concensus, the bar around the top of your head , even the front bar, which you cant reach with your head, even in a frontal crash, unless your head comes off, or your belts break?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:15 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Yeah, if my "Ride" comes through to get the car out there.

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Old 03-30-2010, 02:30 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks guys! now, it seems likethe side bars might not need to be padded as if my legs did touch those, i would have bigger problems than that. However, i guess if you have belt failure and were bounced around the cabin, you might be able to hit the front over head bars.
so, is the concensus, the bar around the top of your head , even the front bar, which you cant reach with your head, even in a frontal crash, unless your head comes off, or your belts break?

I would pad anything that may potentially come in contact with your body. Better off doing it right the first time than not passing tech and not being able to run for the weekend.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:24 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

What do you think of the car? stock 928 tub , just stripped and my engine bolted in and a cage welded in.

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Old 03-30-2010, 03:29 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks guys! now, it seems likethe side bars might not need to be padded as if my legs did touch those, i would have bigger problems than that.
???

Leg was snapped against an a-pillar bar. Yes, there were other injuries, like broken ribs etc. Hit a concrete block with an M3 so hard as to snap the concrete block in half, lay it over flat on the backing armco, and shatter the engine block of the car. He was on crutches all summer.

Tell me again, WHY NOT?!?
Old 03-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I worry more about the sheet metal coming in than me hitting the cage with my legs. My front cross-braces are way away from my feet though.

Quick Reply: Roll Bar padding