Aero Article Grassroots

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Aero Article Grassroots

For all the NASA racers this months Grass Roots has a interesting aero article.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:40 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too Late!!!!!!!! I just did my aero. Picked up 2 secs a lap within two test sessions. Can always add more stuff and just got my copy GRM.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

2 seconds a lap??? Maybe on a really fast track with long high speed sweepers like RA, Mosport or RAtlanta

I would bet that you only lose 1 second a lap if you now, pulled ALL of it off.

I rememmber a race with Kleinubing in WCT, where he backed into a wall, his crushed hatch with wing, was up, and his wing was flayling around and for some strange reason, he didnt lose a beat and was hanging with his gagle of cars, running near the exact same times. Generally, what I have found, is that aero (sans tracks like RA) generally, makes the car more controlable , especially at near the edge. There are a lot of guys that pick up 2 seconds a lap, but generally its due to their driving, not the changes to the car.

Originally Posted by bobt993
Too Late!!!!!!!! I just did my aero. Picked up 2 secs a lap within two test sessions. Can always add more stuff and just got my copy GRM.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

What kind of tips did the article mention? I let my subscription run out.

Mk

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
For all the NASA racers this months Grass Roots has a interesting aero article.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:58 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, I'd be really shocked if you could truly gain 2 secs a lap. Gotta go with Kibort on this one. Consensus understanding is that aero is nothing more than a second-order effect for cars like ours.

Of course, that won't stop me from putting a humongous wing on our new race car.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:14 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fast guys in GTS 2 in the Great Lakes are running wings and are running some fast times (1:38 Mid O pro course). I don't know about 2 seconds a lap but I upgraded my "aero".
Old 03-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
2 seconds a lap??? Maybe on a really fast track with long high speed sweepers like RA, Mosport or RAtlanta.
You know not of what you speak. I was there pre-aero and talked with Bob yesterday about his data post aero. It's for real.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I think if some of the guys around here taped their mouths shut they would pick up a few tenths!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:48 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

throw us a bone here.. what were the "upgrades" ??
Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by bsztanko
Drill holes in your brake pedal
Old 03-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rememmber a race with Kleinubing in WCT, where he backed into a wall, his crushed hatch with wing, was up, and his wing was flayling around and for some strange reason, he didnt lose a beat and was hanging with his gagle of cars, running near the exact same times.
Those cars didn't have "aero"...those little wings were mostly for looks. Wouldn't be surprised if those little things netted slower lap times as a result of drag and didn't make up for it in increased grip. The teams seemed to run them in lowest drag possible mode, often angling them "up" with regards to the track surface in order to put them in line with the air flow off the rear hatch/window.

Generally, what I have found, is that aero (sans tracks like RA) generally, makes the car more controlable , especially at near the edge. There are a lot of guys that pick up 2 seconds a lap, but generally its due to their driving, not the changes to the car.
If it's only making the car more controllable/comfortable, your aero is acting more like a spoiler. If the rules allow you to do more, you should. A good wing and splitter should make real downforce, and thus, GRIP. GRIP = speed. 2 seconds doesn't sound all that unlikely for a really good wing that is positioned up in relatively clean airflow as Bob's seems to be.

Let me throw out another possibility to your suggestion that any time gained is mostly from driving. It takes more skill to drive a car at the edge with downforce because the added grip is somewhat sensitive to the attitude of the car. Perhaps if you put on a really nice aero setup and don't gain significant time, you just aren't capable of pushing to the edge?

Similar example: There are plenty of folks who don't see a speed increase when switching from Toyos to Hoosiers simply because they aren't pushing the Toyos to the limit, so adding more grip isn't going to make them any faster. DE Joe Schmo may get slower on Hoosiers because they don't offer much feedback compared to Toyos while Randy Pobst would probably drop 2-3 seconds off his laptimes when making the switch.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bsztanko
Undertray...
Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

It is a good article. My take away - run without side mirrors
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Those cars didn't have "aero"...those little wings were mostly for looks. Wouldn't be surprised if those little things netted slower lap times as a result of drag and didn't make up for it in increased grip. The teams seemed to run them in lowest drag possible mode, often angling them "up" with regards to the track surface in order to put them in line with the air flow off the rear hatch/window.

If it's only making the car more controllable/comfortable, your aero is acting more like a spoiler. If the rules allow you to do more, you should. A good wing and splitter should make real downforce, and thus, GRIP. GRIP = speed. 2 seconds doesn't sound all that unlikely for a really good wing that is positioned up in relatively clean airflow as Bob's seems to be.

Let me throw out another possibility to your suggestion that any time gained is mostly from driving. It takes more skill to drive a car at the edge with downforce because the added grip is somewhat sensitive to the attitude of the car. Perhaps if you put on a really nice aero setup and don't gain significant time, you just aren't capable of pushing to the edge?

Similar example: There are plenty of folks who don't see a speed increase when switching from Toyos to Hoosiers simply because they aren't pushing the Toyos to the limit, so adding more grip isn't going to make them any faster. DE Joe Schmo may get slower on Hoosiers because they don't offer much feedback compared to Toyos while Randy Pobst would probably drop 2-3 seconds off his laptimes when making the switch.
Logical - flawlessly logical.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
It is a good article. My take away - run without side mirrors
Mine came off a few years ago

Quick Reply: Aero Article Grassroots