Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aero Article Grassroots

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:20 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Now, THAT would qualify as a drag machine. (not drag racing, but drag due to downforce )

reminds me of the car that ran 1:20s at Willow with the wing mounted to the FRONT of the car.

you just need a boat load of HP to make it work!

mk

Originally Posted by cgomez
More ideas for NASA GTS:

Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
I can't remember.... Were those a spec wing?
Yes.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Those cars didn't have "aero"...those little wings were mostly for looks. Wouldn't be surprised if those little things netted slower lap times as a result of drag and didn't make up for it in increased grip. The teams seemed to run them in lowest drag possible mode, often angling them "up" with regards to the track surface in order to put them in line with the air flow off the rear hatch/window.

If it's only making the car more controllable/comfortable, your aero is acting more like a spoiler. If the rules allow you to do more, you should. A good wing and splitter should make real downforce, and thus, GRIP. GRIP = speed. 2 seconds doesn't sound all that unlikely for a really good wing that is positioned up in relatively clean airflow as Bob's seems to be.

Let me throw out another possibility to your suggestion that any time gained is mostly from driving. It takes more skill to drive a car at the edge with downforce because the added grip is somewhat sensitive to the attitude of the car. Perhaps if you put on a really nice aero setup and don't gain significant time, you just aren't capable of pushing to the edge?

Similar example: There are plenty of folks who don't see a speed increase when switching from Toyos to Hoosiers simply because they aren't pushing the Toyos to the limit, so adding more grip isn't going to make them any faster. DE Joe Schmo may get slower on Hoosiers because they don't offer much feedback compared to Toyos while Randy Pobst would probably drop 2-3 seconds off his laptimes when making the switch.
Dat's the muthafukken fact, jack.

2 seconds easy on an E36 M3 using good splitter & high rise wing at TWS and MSR, and extrapolate to Mid O, Laguna, Infineon, Roebling, Autobahn, Hallett, Barber, and Daytona (where the wing hurts a bit on the banking, but really helps on the infield, especially n the kink). 3 seconds IMO at Road Atlanta and Road America.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-31-2010, 04:17 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993

Who said anything about 6 secs a lap? I was figuring a second per corner so on a 12 turn track that would add up to more like 12 seconds if my math is correct. ................ As far as race craft, I think a very wide wing say 10 feet may make it impossible for the car behind you to pass without contact, but if your 12 seconds a lap faster, it won't matter anyways...............................

lololol
Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Bob, cant wait to run up in some NE events. Prolly will do WG and NJMP in Oct. You should come down this way and test your aero at Summit Point in a few weeks

Aero can also take out your competition. Detachable splitters do serious damage at 140MPH (punctured radiator, destroyed headlight, bumper, hood, fender and cracked windshield ) Lets also not forget the STi that just crashed at VIR when his rear wing failed :O :

Old 03-31-2010, 10:19 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moveable Aero.
Sometimes it's a b1tch.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ERic!!!

Did that happen this weekend? I would guess Jeff pushed a button and dumped his wing on the front of the car to keep you behind him.

Looks like you guys had some close races at VIR. The car is a lot more stable, no more straight line speed, but much better in the corners. I am going to try and make SP where you will likely thrash me. Jeff wants revenge from last year. Car has new paint so I hope he does not NASCAR me. Maybe a little rain??
Old 03-31-2010, 11:27 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by bobt993
ERic!!!

Did that happen this weekend? I would guess Jeff pushed a button and dumped his wing on the front of the car to keep you behind him.

Looks like you guys had some close races at VIR. The car is a lot more stable, no more straight line speed, but much better in the corners. I am going to try and make SP where you will likely thrash me. Jeff wants revenge from last year. Car has new paint so I hope he does not NASCAR me. Maybe a little rain??
Yea.. it was in qualifying so I didnt run video. Wish I did. It was scary. The piece was from an Evo and Im still guessing that it was a splitter. It LOOKED like an exhaust pipe when it shot up at me. I was drafting a Mustang down the back straight at VIR and we both crested the hill when the Mustang ran it over. His rear wheels shot the object up and into me. It was about the length of a splitter, but it looked like an exhaust pipe and felt like one. With the damage done to the car, Im glad it wasnt a few inches higher, dunno what it woulda done if it went straight for my windshield...

I was about to pack it in since my radiator is a custom job, but with the help of a few BMW guys we managed to rig in a stock radiator to work. A few zipties later and I was on grid JUST in time.

Would be sweet to see ya at SP. Supposed to be repaved by then also. However, the event does conflict w/ a NJMP race that NASA-NE is having that weekend at NJMP. I assume you'd wanna go kick some NE butt? or would you rather come to SP and run where the real competition is :P
Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by magnetic1
I assume you'd wanna go kick some NE butt? or would you rather come to SP and run where the real competition is :P
I don't know if I would call him out like that. He should be knocking on the 19's at Summit when he gets the big rubber on it.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:53 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I don't know if I would call him out like that. He should be knocking on the 19's at Summit when he gets the big rubber on it.
Trash talking is the ONLY way to get Bob to come down this way...
Old 03-31-2010, 12:21 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

<<<<<That is my goal number for this thing this year. I just need -3 seconds.

All I need is to learn to drove and cut the CoD a bit. The wing and splitter are just for looks, I hooks up the babes wit' em' and the wing makes a great bar for the paddock parties.

another intresting thread heading into head slap land.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:03 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by magnetic1
Trash talking is the ONLY way to get Bob to come down this way...
Haha! I would be happy to follow your tail to the finish with Jiffy Jeff behind me. That is assuming I even qualify well. 1:19? How about anything better than 22 when Eric is running 21's and 20's ( and has the track record ).

Eric, don't you have Lexan? That close call would be my reason to get a 1/4 thick front shield.

BTW, I really want to make the event. I was lucky to even get a couple of races in last year. come on rain!!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kurt M
another intresting thread heading into head slap land.
Sorry, I really wasn't trying to turn this into a bunch of BS. For the record, in fall of 2007 I ran a few 1:21:9s in my RSA with Chris Cervelli's butt in the passenger seat. Bob's 993 has about the same power as my RSA, same suspension, short gears, 400 lbs lighter (lighter car/no Chris) aero package and soon to be 265s & 315s. Seriously, don't you think that it should be able to break into the 19s?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:28 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Sorry, I really wasn't trying to turn this into a bunch of BS. For the record, in fall of 2007 I ran a few 1:21:9s in my RSA with Chris Cervelli's butt in the passenger seat. Bob's 993 has about the same power as my RSA, same suspension, short gears, 400 lbs lighter (lighter car/no Chris) aero package and soon to be 265s & 315s. Seriously, don't you think that it should be able to break into the 19s?
So many factors to consider, from weather to track conditions...and track conditions change at Summit more than any place I've ever raced. You're assuming the track hasn't changed since 2007. I've seen nearly a 2 second swing in a track like VIR from one weekend to the next and looking at past results from Summit for BMW CCA, the laptimes are all over the place from one year to the next for some pretty consistent drivers. But yes, it would seem 19's are possible given the right conditions if Eric is in the 20's and getting faster every time he hits the track.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:49 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Eric found a short-cut at Summit Main. He thinks no one is watching but he drives straight off in T5 and cuts out 6 and 7. I saw it on Youtube so it has to be true. BTW I am running 275's up front not 265's.

Bryan, have you found Summit to be better with more wing considering the layout? Or does the T9-T10 and front straight nullify that? If the track is repaved, it may make it a completely new warm up session Sat morning.

Quick Reply: Aero Article Grassroots