Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aero Article Grassroots

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shhhhh stop telling people how to go faster!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:31 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great article. I would love to spend a weenend wth the author tuning my car. I think that would get me 2 seconds easily.

I would also like to have a real suspension expert spend two days with me too just tuning the car and teaching me what to do in different situations. Antother 2 seconds.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:30 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

now, its 4 seconds for aero plus tuning with a pro. How about another 2 seconds for the pro driving, thats 6 seconds! I ran a stock car in WCGT, with NO aero, and was only 6 seconds off the leader. So, you tell me that with aero, proper set up, (which all of the top cars had) and a pro driver, that my car would be just as fast? Hmmm, do you think the extra 200hp that the leaders had, made any difference? Oh yeah, thats 2 more seconds, SO, with all the things that are worth 2 seconds, my car could have won speedGT and beat the field by 2 seconds if it only had the power everyone else had. thats funny.

Look, I was trying to make a point that I didnt think the time was there for 2 seconds on most tracks. even with Bobs response, his time at the track included set up and instruction. I dont know the track, Thunderbolt, but I imagine if he saw real gains in lap time, i bet there were a few 80-100mph turns where grip was important, and could be helped by some nice aero mods.

Im a big fan of aero and have done a lot of testing with most all the standard mods. (ie, splitter, hood vents, fender vents, wings, but not underbody trays or diffusers yet)

I have a replica of my race car ready to go, but missing all the aero. Im going to make a point to get out to a faster track, and bolt on stuff to see the difference, on the same day. Ive always wanted to do that.

mk

Originally Posted by 911racer
Great article. I would love to spend a weenend wth the author tuning my car. I think that would get me 2 seconds easily.

I would also like to have a real suspension expert spend two days with me too just tuning the car and teaching me what to do in different situations. Antother 2 seconds.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
Ah, No Mark. Chris and have worked on several occasions, but prior to this event. He has driven the car and the track. These improvements were his suggestion when I asked him if I should have him go over the engine before this year. My current engine is completely stock and from a LA Dismantlers junkyard smog machine. The engine has been fine, just down on power and top end. No leaks. Chris was very honest and said you could gain maybe a second with engine work and a big money expense (which would be in his pocket). Keep in mind the car must dyno to meet class rules. Chris said I could invest a fraction in aero and widen the track with easily 2 secs off my time at Tbolt. I ran the fall race there and finished 2nd out of 15 cars in class so this is not a revelation in my driving level. Ironically the car in front of me was a 993 with the aero package I was looking at. I still have not run bigger tires, just what was left over in the garage from 09. I will go out on a limb and bet that I pick up closer to 3secs once the car is fine tuned and running on wider tires.
Like I said, Chris is credible with this kind of advice, It is just a little knee jerk reaction from me, because I get so sick and tired hearing of everyone's 2 second a lap gains from rubbing magic powder into the paint.
Like I said, it really depends on the track. I dont think you can give the 2 second qualifyier at tracks that might not benefit from aero near as much.

Originally Posted by cgomez
I also have some data of back to back testing/racing with and with/out wing. Same driver, same car, same conditions. In a 2min lap the difference is 2secs + despite having lower top speed (more drag) with the wing up. At LimeRock the difference is around 1sec (59.5 vs 58.5)

At a track like Road Atlanta (just ran this weekend) the difference was 1.2 secs "only" but I know I took a LOT more risk with my recent lap without the Wing. The Winged lap in December was my first time at RATL at a long 9hr Enduro, so with fresh tires and time in between sessions to digest the telemetry should have gone faster than the 1:34.9 (vs. 1:36.1 in h Stock wingless trim).

What would you guess the difference is at a Track like Daytona? Despite the long flatout Nascar section, the Wing helps a LOT in the busstop, braking stability into T1 and some in the infield. That accounts for a 2secs difference in my car! (I credit Larry for replying to me that I would be better off with the Wing)

I agree that is harder to get that ultimate limit laptime with downforce, and you end up working your tires harder in a race, so the avg. laptime difference might be smaller.
Thats a great point you bring up last as well. for a time trial, maybe, for a race, the difference might be less. Track layout is a huge factor. You speak of back to back laps with and without a wing, and all I can say is that if you are tuned for a wing and you just rip it off, then, what you have done is more than just remove a wing, you have changed the aero balance of the car, unless you removed the splitter too. also, spring and shocks might need to be altered to really quantify the difference. Do you know the difference in speeds of a track like Road Atlanta vs tracks like Sears and Laguna. put it this way, I just saw a video of a guy in the rain at RA, that goes faster than we do on our tracks in the dry. . Point is, looking at RA, sure, all those very high speed sweepers, S's, and carocels? (even Limerock, albeit short, has a long straight and some fast turns) Absolutely, I can believe some big time to be gained there. Laguna, Sears, even Thunderhill, not so much.

How much slower were you going down the main straight, and how fast? a huge factor of drag due to downforce is speed. Again, generally, the drag loss might be 5hp at 100mph for most wings we see at the track, however, it might feel like 3x that at 150mph.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

My cat's breath smells like cat food.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:17 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Thats a great point you bring up last as well. for a time trial, maybe, for a race, the difference might be less. Track layout is a huge factor. You speak of back to back laps with and without a wing, and all I can say is that if you are tuned for a wing and you just rip it off, then, what you have done is more than just remove a wing, you have changed the aero balance of the car, unless you removed the splitter too. also, spring and shocks might need to be altered to really quantify the difference. Do you know the difference in speeds of a track like Road Atlanta vs tracks like Sears and Laguna. put it this way, I just saw a video of a guy in the rain at RA, that goes faster than we do on our tracks in the dry. . Point is, looking at RA, sure, all those very high speed sweepers, S's, and carocels? (even Limerock, albeit short, has a long straight and some fast turns) Absolutely, I can believe some big time to be gained there. Laguna, Sears, even Thunderhill, not so much.

How much slower were you going down the main straight, and how fast? a huge factor of drag due to downforce is speed. Again, generally, the drag loss might be 5hp at 100mph for most wings we see at the track, however, it might feel like 3x that at 150mph.
Obviously we setup the car optimally (at least to my liking; shocks, etc) setup the car for each condition, including lowering the front end a bit to balance the aero effect of the front splitter with the bigger wing.
Speed loss was around 3-4mph at 140mph aprox (accelerating out of slow corner were the aero doesnt help). On a straight (like before T1 at Daytona) after a fast section the speed loss is minimal because there's compensation due to the fact you exit faster the fast corner thanks to the Wing.

I don't know why the big fuzz around this fact of science. Aero downforce has one of the largest effects on performance after tires. Its public knowledge (wikipedia stuff). That's why all rulebooks (but NASA GTS classes) put a restriction on the size of Aero aids you can use.

NASA GTS "free aero" rules are a joke. This would be the future GTS cars if they only regulate power and weight:

Old 03-29-2010, 07:31 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I hear you and you were on a track that was pretty fast. We, unfortunately, dont have tracks out west that pay that type of dividend here. I can remember putting my new wing on and playing with 2 degree increments, and running around the Sears Point carrocel expecting the car to be firmily planted in the rear. It helped, but it wasnt breath taking, I could still get it to step out on the exit, although much more controlable. (probalby 65mph sweeping turn, Ill have to check the guys I was running nose to tail with to see their telemetry output) didnt help times much, but it sure was a little safer on the edge.

I agree, that GTS will eventually go that way, heck, after all, Redline Time trial cars are loolking a lot like that picture you posted of the euro racers. forget about regulating only power and weight, what about absolute weight? probably more of a factor. what would you rather run, 3000lbs with 8:1 HP/weight or 2000lbs, 8:1 HP/weight? I think that they have a great thing going and Hope to do a few races this seasons with the NASA GTS group.

Originally Posted by cgomez
Obviously we setup the car optimally (at least to my liking; shocks, etc) setup the car for each condition, including lowering the front end a bit to balance the aero effect of the front splitter with the bigger wing.
Speed loss was around 3-4mph at 140mph aprox (accelerating out of slow corner were the aero doesnt help). On a straight (like before T1 at Daytona) after a fast section the speed loss is minimal because there's compensation due to the fact you exit faster the fast corner thanks to the Wing.

I don't know why the big fuzz around this fact of science. Aero downforce has one of the largest effects on performance after tires. Its public knowledge (wikipedia stuff). That's why all rulebooks (but NASA GTS classes) put a restriction on the size of Aero aids you can use.

NASA GTS "free aero" rules are a joke. This would be the future GTS cars if they only regulate power and weight:

Old 03-29-2010, 10:00 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Gomez, DTM would certainly be interesting, but I think the tube frame moves them up one class..............

Who said anything about 6 secs a lap? I was figuring a second per corner so on a 12 turn track that would add up to more like 12 seconds if my math is correct. ................ As far as race craft, I think a very wide wing say 10 feet may make it impossible for the car behind you to pass without contact, but if your 12 seconds a lap faster, it won't matter anyways...............................
Old 03-30-2010, 01:22 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw that article and thought that parts of it were pretty interesting, but it was largely sophomoric. Further, it misses a few points, like the Pikes Peak car that is shown with enormous wings; the real reason being because it goes into very thin air.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Hey, I love the discussion, but through this media, this discussion gets to be more of a bash fest for anyone taking apart, or questioning, the "numbers".
In the end, you can see my point, if you have any experience doing this stuff.

6 seconds a lap you say? How about 14.2 seconds a lap? This can be "proved" you go by everyones tried and proven ways of going faster, all of which have been argued to death here. I was just thinking about those discussions and here are where all that time comes from, including the 2 seconds for aero and 2 seconds for set up talked about here.

aero - 2 seconds
instruction- 2 seconds
pro set up - 2 seconds
hoosiers vs toyos - 2 seconds
PFCs vs Pagid -.8 second
motons - 2 seconds
stoptech - .2 seconds
smaller/lighter wheels - 1 second
pro driver, driving - 2 seconds.
More torque, same HP - 1 second

There, do all of the above, and you can take your 2:32 Road America, or 1:37 Road Atlanta racer and run 2:17 /1:22 respectively and now nearly win your class in GT2 PCA. (or 1:40 to 1:25 at Laguna Seca and beat the ALMS GT2 top pros! )

Thats where I was going with my comments. Its great to add the areo and it certainly helps, but to what extent, it really depends on so many factors.

Originally Posted by bobt993
Hey Gomez, DTM would certainly be interesting, but I think the tube frame moves them up one class..............

Who said anything about 6 secs a lap? I was figuring a second per corner so on a 12 turn track that would add up to more like 12 seconds if my math is correct. ................ As far as race craft, I think a very wide wing say 10 feet may make it impossible for the car behind you to pass without contact, but if your 12 seconds a lap faster, it won't matter anyways...............................
Old 03-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

You forgot this...

Old 03-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by gums
I saw that article and thought that parts of it were pretty interesting, but it was largely sophomoric. Further, it misses a few points, like the Pikes Peak car that is shown with enormous wings; the real reason being because it goes into very thin air.
Thin air is not really the reason for the huge wings (thin air IS the reason for the turbo motors)...maximizing low/medium speed grip for acceleration on a slippery dirt surface, often at large yaw angles, is the reason for the very large wings on a Pikes Peak car.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

agreed you would want more low speed grip on a slippery surfaces like dirt, etc, but keep in mind, at pikes peak, you do have 20-30% less air to push through, and if you want the same grip as you had at sea level, you need roughly the same increase in wing size. Turbos surely help fight the lack of air, by craming more air to help make up the difference, especially absolute boost designs.

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Thin air is not really the reason for the huge wings (thin air IS the reason for the turbo motors)...maximizing low/medium speed grip for acceleration on a slippery dirt surface, often at large yaw angles, is the reason for the very large wings on a Pikes Peak car.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

More ideas for NASA GTS:

Old 03-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Those cars didn't have "aero"...those little wings were mostly for looks.
I can't remember.... Were those a spec wing?

I read an article in Race Car Engineering a few years back about a BTCC team that didn't expect a small wing to do much. They put on a small element from a F3 car and were amazed at the improved performance. Wish I could remember the issue that was in.

Also, a few years back Race Car Engineering had a nice primer on aero, including explaining exactly how and why splitters work and had CFD data/images to illustrate. A must read IMHO.

Quick Reply: Aero Article Grassroots