Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wow danica what an interview

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010 | 07:55 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Brian P
Wow. So, I'm just stunned that we are talking about someone who has won an IRL race and taken 3rd in the Indy 500 and calling that person an also-ran.

I guess Dan Marino, Barry Sanders, John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ernie Banks, Carl Yastrzemski, and Ted Williams are also in the also-ran category.

So Danica is one of the best ever at her profession? Because she won one race and finished third at another?

Never consistently dominated as the best at her position (driver) for seasons on end.

Will Danica go into racing hall of fame because of her racing accomplishments as the people you mentioned have gone or are going to their halls of fame because of theirs in their sports?

This is getting to the point of nonsense Danica actually gets compared to actual champions and people who were the best at their profession however being the best individual in a team sport means exactly nothing.

Where would Danica be with a crap crew, or crap car [no defense, or no rest of team (Barry Sanders)]. Where would Danica stand if she were racing against Ayrton Senna (Jordan)???
Old 03-07-2010 | 07:58 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

IF Danica truly has championship caliber talent (pick a series, any series), then by now it should have been evident, correct? Take away the Motegi win and exactly how does her c.v. compare to other drivers?
Ok, I headed over to Wikipedia to see how her c.v. compares...
  • As a kid, she won several World Karting Association championships
  • She moved to England at age 16 and took second place in Britain's Formula Ford Festival
  • In 2002, she moved to the Toyota Atlantic Championships, where she was a consistent podium finisher
  • In 2005, she tied the record for most pole positions by a rookie in the IRL series. She led the Indy 500 at one point and finished 4th in the race. She was also named rookie of the year.
  • In 2006, she had 2 4th place finishes in IRL
  • In 2007, she finished 2nd at Belle Isle. Also, she ran as high as 2nd place in the Indy 500.
  • In 2008, she won the Indy Japan 300. Overall, she finished the 2008 IndyCar season in 6th place - the highest finish by an American driver that year.
  • In 2009, she took 3rd place in the Indy 500. She finished the 2009 season 5th overall, which was not only the highest of any of the Andretti Autosport drivers, but of any non-Penske or Ganassi driver for the 2009 season

No argument that she has not won often, but she is always among the top drivers.
Old 03-07-2010 | 08:01 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Land Jet
If you guys want to attack me for pointing this hypocrisy out, you have at it. I have seen it and will not just brush it off. That's why these PC double standards continue, because most people won't stand up to them. She's the one that made the crude remark, not me. Women always say they want equality, but in many cases it's a smoke screen for "I want control", whether it's the debate, the situation, or the workplace.
Land Jet--haven't you been the one dropping classless bombs, using language I find derogatory to women these last few weeks?? Implying that Danica got her rides because she has a "slit" or "p***y"??? To me it seems you are here unburdening a chip you have on your shoulder toward women, especially those who do not conform to your ideal of what a woman should be. I have sat back and listened to you rag on! Did you get passed over for promotion by the hot chick at work?

https://rennlist.com/forums/7294022-post49.html

Here's a clue for you-- loving pictures of beautiful women and calling Alonso a girl does not make VR a misogynist. I have found him to be encouraging of women at the track here on this forum, whereas you undermine women who may come here, making them feel as if their desires are wrong.... to be who they need to be, in taking on a race car that demands high levels of fitness, they will lose their feminine appeal. She has to have that kind of muscular body to handle the loads put on her physically, how else would she get this far?

I'm no big Danica fan, I've seen her bitchy, but spending my adult working career in a male dominated field, I have a feeling for what she is up against. I don't care if your opinion differs from mine and you are free to express it here in a civilized manor, though you've chosen to be rude. A line in your signature on another forum now takes on new meaning:

No kids, no mortgage, no x-wife, no college bills. HeHeHeHeHe

Last edited by TwentySix; 03-08-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-07-2010 | 08:14 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Arrow

Originally Posted by FredC
God darn... i am dragging myself into this....

What field? Serious question? Really?

She ain't a champion but can hang out with the crowd in IRL. That's the plain truth. It's a fact.
I agree. Not everyone is going to be champion or even win a race. Look at the NASCAR field... it's a tiny handful that win any races. But the other 30 or so deserve to be out there.

To have a race you have to have a field of competitors, not just winners. Even if you're last place in an open-wheel race car, you can still do something that would cause 90% of the population to pass out or throw up on the first curve.

And, yeah, it's about money and marketability more than skill. I guess that's why I've become less and less interested in professional sports.
Old 03-07-2010 | 08:39 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TwentySix
you undermine women who may come here, making them feel as if their desires are wrong.... to be who they need to be, in taking on a race car that demands high levels of fitness, they will lose their feminine appeal. She has to have that kind of muscular body to handle the loads put on her physically, how else would she get this far?
I have gold medals from a national martial arts tournament in which I fought all men. You can't look feminine and sexy when you're yelling, kicking, and bleeding.

You're right, you need muscles, confidence, and "attitude" if you're going to compete in physically demanding sports. It can be interpreted in many different ways. I often found myself trying to balance fitting in with the guys while not giving the impression of trying to be a guy.

Fortunately, all the men I ever dated liked my muscles And apparently I am feminine enough.
Old 03-07-2010 | 09:04 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

What is a "butter face"?
all is good "but her face" = butter face

no thanks needed, I am just happy to contribute

My take on Danica -- clearly she has some skills and chief among them is putting butts in the seats and getting ratings for a variety of reasons...
Old 03-07-2010 | 09:40 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
I was referring to her current ARCA/NA$CAR Nationwide (Busch) series endeavours.

It's a matter of perspective and honest evaluation.
I know parents who routinely say their kid is a consistent top 5 driver...in a field of 6-8 karts. True statement, but put the same kid in a different field and it's a different story.
Hell, I've seen kids win races and put out press releases in a 3 kart grid.

She is an average to slightly above average driver IMHO. Nothing more and certainly nothing close to the hype and expectation that is generated on a regular basis (re: see Earnhardt Jr.).
She can't blame equipment nor teams throughout her career, so if she was even close to the hype, she should have won more races by now. (and we'll leave out good finishes that can be argued were influenced by pit strategy and/or fuel mileage).

I would much rather see far less PR and promotion and more results.
Isn't it a little early to judge her for what she accomplished or didn't accomplish in Arca and Nationwide????????????? And the BS about fuel mileage and pit strategy... come one... it is part of racing, a key part of it.
Old 03-07-2010 | 10:07 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I think that this whole "crisis" about whether or not Danica deserves to be where she is at is nonsense. There are plenty of other racers in the same place as her, getting there through nepotism, or family money, or hollywood fame or like Danica, through other people's money. In fact, there are few other ways to get there. That she can hold her own against the boys is testimony to her skill. Beating them consistently would be above expectations.

Do any of you remember Annika Sörenstam who played against the men in the PCA Colonial tournament in 2003? If there was every a good old boy's club it is the PGA, and I don't remember the slightest negativism. In fact, most seemed genuinely sorry that she just missed the cut. So she went back to beating up the girls. For those of you who don't know her, she was one of the best females to play the game.

I'm sure that if there were a female racing league, Danica would easily be at the top of that show.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-07-2010 | 10:48 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
+1 Brian. I quit trying to make the point a while back. Misogyny is just like racism... See you at the track!!!
Fred,

It's not particularly fair of you to make that comment. Yes, there are people who dislike Danica because of outright or veiled misogyny. But it's inaccurate to paint everybody who dislikes her as sexist.
Old 03-07-2010 | 10:59 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
The illogical concepts that people come up with are quite staggering.

Pete, people that win usually get away with more attitude than those that don't. You dare compare Danica to Tony Stewart? Who has an IRL championship several Nascar titles and nearly 40 wins????

I don't even like Tony Stewart for the reasons you mentioned, but you can't justify that comparison.
My point was that winning more doesn't give one license to be a douche, Tony Stewart included. I respect Stewart more because he's won at every level he's competed, but he's still a dick. Jimmie Johnson doesn't appear to feel the need to be a jerk and no one can question his ability and championships.

Personally, I didn't see anything wrong with Danica's interview that started this thread. Is she abrasive at times? Yes, but imagine getting the same type of sexist people always questioning you regardless of what you do.

You won in Japan? Oh, well someone ran out of gas.

You podiumed at the INDY 500, well, something else must have been the case.

You won an INDY League championship (should it happen), well she had the best equipment. etc. etc. etc.

The bottom line is she is on the 3rd best team in INDY behind Ganassi and Penske. She came in best of her 4 racer team including a well respected racer, Tony Kannan. She gets better and better each year. She would be a fool to turn down the opportunities that are presented to her.
Old 03-07-2010 | 11:28 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TwentySix
Land Jet--haven't you been the one dropping classless bombs, using language I find derogatory to women these last few weeks?? Implying that Danica got her rides because she has a "slit" or "p***y"??? To me it seems you are here unburdening a chip you have on your shoulder toward women, especially those who do not conform to your ideal of what a woman should be. I have sat back and listened to you rag on! Did you get passed over for promotion by the hot chick at work?

https://rennlist.com/forums/7294022-post49.html

Here's a clue for you-- loving pictures of beautiful women does not make VR a misogynist. I have found him to be encouraging of women at the track here on this forum, whereas you undermine women who may come here, making them feel as if their desires are wrong.... to be who they need to be, in taking on a race car that demands high levels of fitness, they will lose their feminine appeal. She has to have that kind of muscular body to handle the loads put on her physically, how else would she get this far?

I'm no big Danica fan, I've seen her bitchy, but spending my adult working career in a male dominated field, I have a feeling for what she is up against. I don't care if your opinion differs from mine and you are free to express it here in a civilized manor, though you've chosen to be rude. A line in your signature on another forum now takes on new meaning:
There is no untruth to what I said above about Danika. And they were said before the *** kicking "lady" made her presence known. I've never been passed over for a job by a woman because I've always been self employed. And the truth is I don't hate women, but I absolutely refuse to be manipulated by them. At this stage of my life, 61, that means being happily single. You have no idea what experiences I have gone through in my life.

Milka has not lost her feminine appeal, that is more an American feminist thing. I'd like to see Milka win, I think she would handle it with grace and charm.
Old 03-07-2010 | 11:49 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I think that this whole "crisis" about whether or not Danica deserves to be where she is at is nonsense. There are plenty of other racers in the same place as her, getting there through nepotism, or family money, or hollywood fame or like Danica, through other people's money. In fact, there are few other ways to get there. That she can hold her own against the boys is testimony to her skill. Beating them consistently would be above expectations.

Do any of you remember Annika Sörenstam who played against the men in the PCA Colonial tournament in 2003? If there was every a good old boy's club it is the PGA, and I don't remember the slightest negativism. In fact, most seemed genuinely sorry that she just missed the cut. So she went back to beating up the girls. For those of you who don't know her, she was one of the best females to play the game.

I'm sure that if there were a female racing league, Danica would easily be at the top of that show.
+1... and this "debate" got started from a crash in which the other driver takes 100% of the blame?!!! (Very rare case among racers, so it makes it more unquestionable whose fault is it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xvzbrVTijY

... what's wrong with some people here? We should do a poll and see how many racers do think they would be faster than Danica in their own car at a PCA race.
Old 03-07-2010 | 11:55 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

More on who does and doesn't have a ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdCZTqDw32I
Old 03-07-2010 | 11:59 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=cgomez;7374423... what's wrong with some people here? We should do a poll and see how many racers do think they would be faster than Danica in their own car at a PCA race.[/QUOTE]

I think VR summed it up when he said Danica jumped into Bill Auberlens M3 at a track she had never been to before, in a car she had never driven before and not only beat Auberliens best time, but set a track record with that car.

She's a paid professional and spends her 8-12 hours a day at her profession, just like some of the CPAs, engineers and business owners do on this board.

This comes up every once in a while and everyone on this board would get mopped up and lapped very quickly.
Old 03-08-2010 | 12:05 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Nobody said we are better drivers than Danika. We said she is an also ran that hasn't won any championships but gets more publicity than those that do. Have you read any of the other posts?

Quick Reply: wow danica what an interview