Sponsored by:

Uh Oh! They're racing a Cayman!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:37 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
What about the issue with those engines. Cayman, Boxsters, some 996s, that had continued to self destruct for want of a better term?
Napleton porsche claim no/zero/none drivetrain issues with the new dfi block in the croc.2's first year of racing; a rather remarkable introduction of Porsche's putative racing block of the future.

jack
Tampa
Old 01-23-2010, 01:29 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Napleton porsche claim no/zero/none drivetrain issues with the new dfi block in the croc.2's first year of racing; a rather remarkable introduction of Porsche's putative racing block of the future.

jack
Tampa
Correct. I ran my Interseries Cayman at all of the races this year, and I don't know of any car that has had any motor or trans problem. No failures, no heat issues, no performance issues. They've been rock solid, even in Atlanta heat and humidity in August.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:48 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick E
If the Caymans beat up on the 911s it will be Porsche's worst nightmare...
This just might be the old paradigm ....

One can hope. Piech has always been iconoclastic. I, for one, am hoping this to be the case. There is no reason, other than marketing - as Larry has pointed out, for Porsche not to fully develop this platform.

God speed .......... as I want a GT version of the Cayman, badly.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:13 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
This just might be the old paradigm ....

One can hope. Piech has always been iconoclastic. I, for one, am hoping this to be the case. There is no reason, other than marketing - as Larry has pointed out, for Porsche not to fully develop this platform.

God speed .......... as I want a GT version of the Cayman, badly.
I'll be in line right behind you ordering one..

I did hear in the latest issue of Pano that they will be comming out with a Cayman version of the soon to be launched Boxster Spyder...
Old 01-23-2010, 08:21 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ Yep, but still overweight and with denuded power. The car would absolutely rock with the 3.8 9A1 and would absolutely kill with the GT1 3.8 (hell, I'd take the 3.6 GT1) ...
Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Kerrigan Smith
Advanced

Porsche will not recognize anything that is going on in the Conti Challenge. Since they are street cars and not what Porsche puts forward as a Motorsport product they ignore it. The guys like BGB who develope these cars do it totally with out any support. It is true testament to the guys who race these cars with out any Porsche support what so ever. Especially now when all information is only available online through the PIWIS to certified dealerships.

I wish John Tecce and the boys at BGB all the best!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:03 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Ladies and Gents,

We greatly appreciate the positive support and feedback. We hope that the Cayman will eventually be a race winning platform. However, for right now, with the car's lack of available parts and the fact that there's no "Cayman Suspension Tuning For Dummies" at Barnes and Noble, it will take some time. It took us nearly an entire year to begin to be as competitive with the 997 as we were with the 996. ECU flashes are few and far between, pulley kits are currently in design, exhaust headers had to be specially made for us, etc. etc. etc. The car is still in its infant stage.

And as for the politics surrounding Porsche, neither Porsche Cars North America nor Porsche Motorsport have ever endorses the racing of the street car in the Grand-Am series in North America; and they never will. They would prefer that we not race their street cars and will always maintain that. A racing division was created, founded and funded for the purpose of providing customer support in North America. HOWEVER, as evidenced by the feedback we get from fans and customers, I don't care what anyone says. People that drive 911s on the street like our series because that's their car we're running. The same will be true with the Cayman. It's not a turn-key, roll cage included, sequential transmission, no ABS having, purpose built race car like the GT3 Cup car. It's a street car being raced among other street cars; and yes, all of our Continental Tire Porsches still have the OEM cup holders in the passenger side dash. Why? Because we want them there!

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
However, for right now, with the car's lack of available parts
This has always interested me about Porsche racing. Folks seems to depend on parts that are developed by Porsche Motorsport (at least when it comes to Pro racing) rather than just developing them in their shop. Given the limited amount of modification allowed in Continental, it seems like it would be fairly 'easy' to turn out a built to the limit car from a good race shop with a lathe and a decent fabricator. Just seems a different philosophy from what I'm accustomed to.

ECU flashes are few and far between
Not going with the Bosch? That will make it hard to be competitive from the start I would think.

Good luck! Look forward to seeing the Cayman out there in a few days.

Last edited by Bryan Watts; 01-25-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Ladies and Gents,

We greatly appreciate the positive support and feedback. We hope that the Cayman will eventually be a race winning platform. However, for right now, with the car's lack of available parts and the fact that there's no "Cayman Suspension Tuning For Dummies" at Barnes and Noble, it will take some time. It took us nearly an entire year to begin to be as competitive with the 997 as we were with the 996. ECU flashes are few and far between, pulley kits are currently in design, exhaust headers had to be specially made for us, etc. etc. etc. The car is still in its infant stage.

And as for the politics surrounding Porsche, neither Porsche Cars North America nor Porsche Motorsport have ever endorses the racing of the street car in the Grand-Am series in North America; and they never will. They would prefer that we not race their street cars and will always maintain that. A racing division was created, founded and funded for the purpose of providing customer support in North America. HOWEVER, as evidenced by the feedback we get from fans and customers, I don't care what anyone says. People that drive 911s on the street like our series because that's their car we're running. The same will be true with the Cayman. It's not a turn-key, roll cage included, sequential transmission, no ABS having, purpose built race car like the GT3 Cup car. It's a street car being raced among other street cars; and yes, all of our Continental Tire Porsches still have the OEM cup holders in the passenger side dash. Why? Because we want them there!

Thanks.

Thanks for the report! It sounds like Porsche is not interested in a grassroots type racing support program (a la Mazda).
Old 01-25-2010, 01:20 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
This has always interested me about Porsche racing. Folks seems to depend on parts that are developed by Porsche Motorsport (at least when it comes to Pro racing) rather than just developing them in their shop. Given the limited amount of modification allowed in Continental, it seems like it would be fairly 'easy' to turn out a built to the limit car from a good race shop with a lathe and a decent fabricator. Just seems a different philosophy from what I'm accustomed to.

Not going with the Bosch? That will make it hard to be competitive from the start I would think.

Good luck! Look forward to seeing the Cayman out there in a few days.
We had great success running our own DME program and not running the Bosch Motorsports piece in our series. The Bosch ultimately provides tuneability but with a Grand-Am mandated rev limit and a serious investment in time, money and parts, we made the decision NOT to run the Bosch and proved that we could still be competitive. As for parts not existing, the trans comes from an Audi, so no clutch and flywheel kit existed until Aasco was kind enough to develop one and there's no decent cold airbox for the car, along with a small list of other things. The Porsche Motorsport suspension pieces that do exist for Cup cars and other 996/997 based cars are NOT legal in Koni. You can't run sphericals so that's why companies like TRG and BGB have begun to create products that would be used by teams running these cars. You're stuck mixing and matching things like dealer supplied 2 piece control arms from the GT3. It's mostly anything related to the DFI engine and the trans that doesn't exist for the car.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:24 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

John: Good to hear of your efforts and good luck !! As to headers for the 2009 croc.2, I've just installed the capristo headers and am quite pleased.
Jack
Tampa

Ladies and Gents,

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:06 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

good luck with the project!!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:35 PM
techno99
Racer

Originally Posted by pedsurg
John: Good to hear of your efforts and good luck !! As to headers for the 2009 croc.2, I've just installed the capristo headers and am quite pleased.
Jack
Tampa
Sounds like it time to update your signature...
Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The Cayman

1:44 - 2:57

Old 01-28-2010, 10:22 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

The fastest Porsche in qualifying was...

the CAYMAN!!!

wow.... I wonder if it was Craig Stanton driving, usually the pro doesn't qualify so he can finish the race. But he could both start and finish it.

Great going, but 2 seconds back is going to be tough to get up front when you are down on power to all the Mustangs (6) and BMWs (4) and a Camaro that are starting out ahead of you. With some more development work, the Cayman could be kicking some V8 butt soon.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Uh Oh! They're racing a Cayman!