Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traqmate Display Mount Location?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 06:49 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traqmate Display Mount Location?

I have a couple of options where to mount my Traqmate Display.

Anyone velcroed theirs to the tach?

I'm not sure if there will be any issues with blocking the tach. I'm a little reluctant. Can you think of any downsides?
The other option is mounting to a bracket I had made for the Cool Shirt Controller. 2nd picture.

These are my options
Attached Images   
Old 01-17-2010, 06:59 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try this

http://www.stableenergies.com/Displa...fo/TM-8900029/
Old 01-17-2010, 07:35 PM
smarlow2
Advanced

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I have a couple of options where to mount my Traqmate Display.

Anyone velcroed theirs to the tach?

I'm not sure if there will be any issues with blocking the tach. I'm a little reluctant. Can you think of any downsides?
The other option is mounting to a bracket I had made for the Cool Shirt Controller. 2nd picture.

These are my options
I think it is largely a matter of personal preference, but I have mine mounted on the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. This lets me quickly check the display without having to look down much and the display does not block my vision of the track. I ran the cord from the data logger to the display up the firewall and through a vent to the display unit.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:38 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Would you post a pic please?

Originally Posted by smarlow2
I think it is largely a matter of personal preference, but I have mine mounted on the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. This lets me quickly check the display without having to look down much and the display does not block my vision of the track. I ran the cord from the data logger to the display up the firewall and through a vent to the display unit.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:51 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

I have mine glued to the ashtray. I don't want it in my line of site or be distracted by it. When I don't want it in the car, I just pop in a spare ash tray.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:05 PM
smarlow2
Advanced

Originally Posted by dan212
I have mine glued to the ashtray. I don't want it in my line of site or be distracted by it. When I don't want it in the car, I just pop in a spare ash tray.
Like I said, it is personal preference. I like the lap counter and predictive lap timer, particularly in qualifying mode when it is really helpful to know if you are ahead or behind your fastest lap and consequently if you need to stay out. I don't run a Blind Apex or other in-car instrumentation.

As you can see from the pic, I just have it velcrod onto the dash.
Attached Images    
Old 01-17-2010, 09:06 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine stays on the tach. No problems.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine's around the center of on my dash; I wouldn't have it anywhere else. Even there, I don't like glancing that far over, and I certainly would never glance down somewhere.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:42 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's a thread with pics of my display. And I didn't even drill holes or anything, so it wont mess up the dash.
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...with-pics.html

Last edited by TheOtherEric; 01-19-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:18 PM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Mine's around the center of on my dash; I wouldn't have it anywhere else. Even there, I don't like glancing that far over, and I certainly would never glance down somewhere.
Same here. I have a big tach mounted on the dash and my traqmate is velcroed directly beneath it.

For me it's good to be able to see the predictive lap timing when I'm qualifying.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

That's a slick install Eric. Thanks for the post and the link.

I have issues with a dash mount because my eyes are almost at dash level when buckled in.

I'm liking Kary's setup in front of the tach since that is what I think would be the easiest for glance down viewing. I guess I'll PM Kary to see if that template works for 911s.

I have big doubts about the Miata mount fitment. Anyone tried it on a 911?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:48 PM
TR6
Drifting

I bought the $25 roll cage mount so I could mount it to the header bar at the top of the windshield. It's high enough not to block my field of view, but easy to glance at while keeping my vision "heads up".
Old 01-19-2010, 04:55 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Whose mount is it and what did you do with the cable?

Would you post a pic, I'd like to see how that looks. The easy view and limited glare is what I'm after. Thanks.

Originally Posted by TR6
I bought the $25 roll cage mount so I could mount it to the header bar at the top of the windshield. It's high enough not to block my field of view, but easy to glance at while keeping my vision "heads up".
Old 01-19-2010, 05:09 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Whose mount is it and what did you do with the cable?

Would you post a pic, I'd like to see how that looks. The easy view and limited glare is what I'm after. Thanks.
It is this one:
http://store.traqmate.com/ProductDet...uctCode=890027
I don't have a photo and it will probably be this weekend before I can get one. I just installed it so I haven't had it on the track yet, but just sitting in the car, I think it will work well. The only negative I thought of is that I gave up roll bar padding just where the display itself mounts, so if I get in a nasty wreck where my helmet goes far enough forward to contact the header bar, then it could be a hard hit (not to mention smashing the display unit). But if I get loose enough in the car that my head goes that far forward, I've probably got bigger problems anyway.

The wire will run along the header bar of the roll cage (secured with zip ties) and then down the A pillar tube of the cage and into the bottom of the dash where it can be routed back along the transmission tunnel to the sensor unit. An alternate route is to run the wire along the top of the cage above the passenger door and then down to the sensor unit on the trans tunnel.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Tom N
Instructor

Randy,

I just picked up my car today from 3G, with a new (to me) OMP Corsica wheel and Traqmate installed.

The Traqmate is mounted on top of the steering column cover in front of the tach, using the snap off mount from Traqmate. The cable comes up from the side of the forward center console cover.

Have not driven this set up yet, but will be at Roebling this weekend with Florida Crown for my first track outing for the year.

Quick Reply: Traqmate Display Mount Location?