Sponsored by:

iRacing and mac?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 02:48 PM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
Default iRacing and mac?

I'm interested in running iRacing, but the Intel 950 videoprocessor in my macbook (about 3 years old) won't work. Anybody running a mac and iRacing successfully?

Thanks!
David
Old 01-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Tom '74 911
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I run it on my MacBook Pro (2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB ram) w/Bootcamp. It works OK, but I have to set the graphics options to as minimal as possible to get reasonable frame rates if I'm doing anything but solo testing. I bet it would run just fine on a later model Mac Pro tower.

Tom
Old 01-15-2010, 09:06 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom, you have Window's XP installed? I bought Window's 7 buy Apple has yet to issue drivers for it, so I'm screwed until they do. Afterwards, I be iRacing!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 PM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

I emailed iRacing, and they said they do not officially support mac, but have customers that run it. She recommended boot camp, and 2GB of RAM partitioned for bootcamp/xp. My friend just built a computer using the nvidia 9600 card, 2.5 ghz for about $450. I could trade up my macbook for about that probably, but it might be nice to have a standalone, dedicated unit that's easily upgradable over time.

He's also using the G27 Logitech wheel/pedal set, and says it's amazing. That's what they used as the demo at PRI (the older G25), but w/ a much faster computer, surround sound, flat screen, etc. What wheel set, and setup is best?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:14 AM
CoGT3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also run iRacing on an intel based Mac. I have one the original Intel iMacs. I use bootcamp with windows XP installed. The biggest problem is the weak video card built into the iMac, otherwise it works like a charm.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

...so I gues my new MacBook Pro will run iRacing just fine???
Old 01-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes, a new MBP running a boot camp partition will play most PC games without an issue.

I have an older MBP and I'm running a Win 7 boot camp partition. I've played games on this with less headache than my PC. Win 7 is great because it senses all of the Mac hardware (iSight, expansion ports, video cards).

Also, a nice feature of the Mac OS is that you cam create or wipe the boot camp partition without any effect to your main Mac partition. You CAN NOT make it larger though, without deleting the partition... So pick a reasonable size at the start. I used 50gb, but I have a 500gb drive...

Once you have made your boot camp partition, you can access it when booted up in Mac OsX using either Parallels or VM Ware Fusion. The latest VMware is ESP nice... They say you can play games this way too - but you can't (at least on a MBP) - it's way too slow.

Just my $0.02. Have fun
Old 01-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by David Edwards
I emailed iRacing, and they said they do not officially support mac, but have customers that run it. She recommended boot camp, and 2GB of RAM partitioned for bootcamp/xp. My friend just built a computer using the nvidia 9600 card, 2.5 ghz for about $450. I could trade up my macbook for about that probably, but it might be nice to have a standalone, dedicated unit that's easily upgradable over time.

He's also using the G27 Logitech wheel/pedal set, and says it's amazing. That's what they used as the demo at PRI (the older G25), but w/ a much faster computer, surround sound, flat screen, etc. What wheel set, and setup is best?
If you can build a system (or have your friend do it) I just put together a fairly good 2.5gz Intel based system on Newegg for around $650 including a 640GB HD, Sony 24x DVD, 22" flatscreen, 4GB memory, 1GB ATI 4670 video card and a MS wireless mouse/KB included. Comes with a free Belkin 6 outlet surge protector too!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:53 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Anyone running iRacing with Parallels? Thats my preferred mode when I absolutely positively have to endure windows.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Anyone running iRacing with Parallels? Thats my preferred mode when I absolutely positively have to endure windows.
Yeah, it's awful to have to endure things like being able to maximize a window with one click.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Tom '74 911
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Tom, you have Window's XP installed?
Sorry for the late response. I guess my settings here don't include email updates. . . anyway, yes I run XP through bootcamp on my older MBP.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 PM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Well, my computer was stolen over the weekend, so now I've got several new (unwanted) options. I talked to a mac friend, and he said the laptop (even pro) video cards were not the same or as capable as what would come in, say, an imac because of sizing limitations. He thought the cheapest route would be to build a dedicated computer to run iracing, or get an imac, rather that getting a mbp capable to run iracing very well. As an experiment, I'm borrowing my mom's imac that has the nvidia 9400, and am going to install bootcamp/xp on it and compare it to my friends purpose built system.

I think I'm going to get the smallest mbp, but w/ 4gb ram, for my day to day stuff, and aim data software, and and try iracing on it. Then knowing what my friends system is like, make the decision then whether to build or use the mbp. One thing he also said, was that there is a way to increase the graphics capability setting, which is by default set lower to conserve power and speed for everything else, when you want to do heavier gaming.

Quick Reply: iRacing and mac?