Sponsored by:

Spec Boxster questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Spec Boxster questions

I'm confused with some of the wording in the rules.

"1. No modification of the shock tower is allowed."

But you are allowed to weld your cage to it?

"Roll cages may not pass through any walls or sills but may pass through front bulkhead to be tied to shock tower."

2. "Camber plates and/or Adjustable A-Arms are not allowed.
(Cars with camber plates/ mono-***** may apply for grandfathered status for the
2009 season with proof of purchase prior to December 2008.)"

Then it goes on to say adjustable A-Arms ARE allowed?

"A-Arms
Approved adjustable A-arms are allowed for the purpose of increasing negative camber in
the front and rear wheels. The approved adjustable A-Arms are Porsche Factory Parts only
for the GT3 “Street"."

Any opinions on the Boxster Spec kit Brad Roberts AG puts out for $14K? Seems pretty darn complete..

Thanks
Old 01-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

don't get any funny ideas there mr. mayor
Old 01-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

WOW! The ink wasn't even dry yet!!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:56 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Brad is one of the most knowledgable people when it comes to Boxster Specs but I believe he's onthe left coast.
There's a great place in C'ville, VA that is also very knowledgable and he'll be at the Zone 2 DE with one of his cars....
Old 01-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, it is pretty darn complete and has all of the "right" bits. He did the homework for you. If you are building a Spec Boxster you owe it yourself to spend a little time on Brad's site boxsterspec.com.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Any opinions on the Boxster Spec kit Brad Roberts AG puts out for $14K? Seems pretty darn complete..

Thanks
Old 01-12-2010, 05:21 PM
BigKraut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the rules are confusing but it is an improvement over last year!

1. Yes, you can weld your cage to them. In the past we were only allowed 6 attachment points for the cage but that has now changed. Most cars only attached their cages to the rear shock towers. The theory being that attaching to the fronts is unnecesssary because there is some bracing already in place and the fact that Porsche didn't do it with the 996 cup cars (therefore not necessary?). You can attach to the fronts and go through the bulkhead BUT some sanctioning bodies bump you into another class if you do (SCCA, I believe).

2. Adjustable A-Arms are allowed. Most people use the GT3 parts. You need them in the front to get enough negative camber but in the rear you can do without them and still get enough camber.

Brad's package sounds very complete and even has a few extras. Not sure about the Cayman S engine mount he includes. If it is the semi solid mount (orange) be aware that there have been about half-a-dozen reports of the mount shifting to one side or the other. Brad is a great guy with lots of knowlegde and passion for the class.

Hope this helps and good luck if/when you decide to take the plunge!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

So if the two bars went from the front hoop to the towers it's ok. How about if the front two bars are tied together with a crossbar a few inches up from the towers? I ask because a cross-brace ON the towers is not allowed...
Old 01-12-2010, 05:36 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Gary-
If you're serious contact Scott or Kenny in Charlottesville at:

http://www.werkstattcville.com/index.htm

Kenny does all the cages and his work is second to none. In fact when he's not busy working on Boxsters he's building cages for the Lizzards...
Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 PM
BigKraut
Instructor

How about if the front two bars are tied together with a crossbar a few inches up from the towers? I ask because a cross-brace ON the towers is not allowed...
Interesting question. I guess it would be allowed according to a strict interpretation of the rules but depending who you're racing with/against or who is teching the car you might have some 'splainin to do. I'm not sure that the car needs the extra stiffness.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BigKraut
Interesting question. I guess it would be allowed according to a strict interpretation of the rules but depending who you're racing with/against or who is teching the car you might have some 'splainin to do. I'm not sure that the car needs the extra stiffness.
Just seems to me if you are tying the rear to the cage you should tie the front also, but what do I know!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Just seems to me if you are tying the rear to the cage you should tie the front also, but what do I know!
Good point, "what do you know?"
Take the previously given advise and contact the guys at Werkstatt. If nothing else then you wont be worried about me having a better cage since they're the ones doing mine. Fact is they're doing my total build and I should be picking the finished car, graphics and all, up this weekend.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Now that you're involved I won't call Werkstatt no matter what ya skinhead bastige!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:22 PM
BigKraut
Instructor

but what do I know!
Probably more than me. I can barely drive the damn thing! In fact, I can hardly find the ignition with both hands and a flashlight.

Seriously, I'm just passing on what I've heard discussed in the paddock. I'm no expert. I know of one local car that has the front shock towers tied into the cage but haven't driven (droven?) it to compare. Take the above advice (talk to the cage builder) and run with it. You can also check out the forums on boxsterspec.com and ask there.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
don't get any funny ideas there mr. mayor
That's what I'm saying.

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Fact is they're doing my total build and I should be picking the finished car, graphics and all, up this weekend.
Tim, what happened to the car in your avatar? And also what happened to your 964??
Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary,
If you go the SP BOX you will love it! We've built 7 Spec Boxsters in the last year and everytime I get out of one of these cars I have a smile on my face. Last time at VIR I thought I was going to ram Tim down the front straight by the tower. I was amazed they didn't black flag us, even after we roughed each other up around Oak Tree. You've got a good bunch up in the New England area this year, welcome to the madness.

Scott

Quick Reply: Spec Boxster questions