Spec Boxster questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:34 AM
BigKraut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Any tall drivers in these cars?
We have a number of drivers that are 6'3" and taller in SPBOX. You would be more comfortable mounting your race seat directly to the floor but some tall guys use sliders and still fit.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:28 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Avatar

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Good point, "what do you know?"
Take the previously given advise and contact the guys at Werkstatt. If nothing else then you wont be worried about me having a better cage since they're the ones doing mine. Fact is they're doing my total build and I should be picking the finished car, graphics and all, up this weekend.
Maybe then you will change your Avatar!?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:32 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spec Box Driving

Originally Posted by Werkstatt
Gary,
If you go the SP BOX you will love it! We've built 7 Spec Boxsters in the last year and everytime I get out of one of these cars I have a smile on my face. Last time at VIR I thought I was going to ram Tim down the front straight by the tower. I was amazed they didn't black flag us, even after we roughed each other up around Oak Tree. You've got a good bunch up in the New England area this year, welcome to the madness.

Scott
Just take a look at this video of Scott and Tim. Out of control I tell ya!

http://www.youtube.com/user/vb996#p/a/u/1/2bgAAKmhkSA
Old 01-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 174 Posts

My neck hurts, was that the "gangsta" camera angle? Nice thing about the 888's, good wet and dry. Thought for sure that Spec Piniata was gonna cause a problem at the end..
Old 01-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for the info, and I'm glad to know it can be done. Put me down for a spec Cayman in about 10 years.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

New question - TC or no TC? I would think no, but as Tim would say, WTH do I know?
Old 01-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to find a car without, but they are somewhat hard to find at the correct price point. With does not matter, just turn it off each time you go out on the track.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

So it will allow complete disabling and not come back on if high threshold parameters are met like upside down while left foot braking?

No way to just perm. disable it or would that require ECU work (illegal)? I would think you could reverse a switch to do the opposite (turn off) when the ignition is switched on somehow.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:46 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 284 Posts

I have TC and kind of like it. I turn it off when needed and it does not intervene, though it can if you are not smooth. Took me a little while to figure that out and adjust my driving style. In the rain I turned it on and was glad to have had it. If you are truly good in the rain it might be a bad thing, but in many rain races the guy who does not spin does quite well. TC will keep you pointed in the right direction.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Werkstatt
Try to find a car without, but they are somewhat hard to find at the correct price point. With does not matter, just turn it off each time you go out on the track.
Wouldn't TC stay on the background or is that only with PSM
Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
Wouldn't TC stay on the background or is that only with PSM
It does, but I have found that it is a non-issue. If it comes on, you are over driving the car and slowing yourself down to begin with. It was a nice training device actually the first couple of times I drove it. If it came on, I was screwing up. Never comes on now.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:17 AM
dingle
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
It does, but I have found that it is a non-issue. If it comes on, you are over driving the car and slowing yourself down to begin with. It was a nice training device actually the first couple of times I drove it. If it came on, I was screwing up. Never comes on now.
PSM can be disarmed for good and still allows the ABS to work.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:52 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dingle
PSM can be disarmed for good and still allows the ABS to work.
Spec Boxsters have Traction Control, not PSM which came out later. But you are correct, I was able to disconnect the PSM on my 996 completely.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Spec Boxsters have Traction Control, not PSM which came out later. But you are correct, I was able to disconnect the PSM on my 996 completely.
What needs to be done to disable PSM?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:48 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian P
What needs to be done to disable PSM?
There is a single wired harness with a platic plug that goes from the brake M/C into the PSM module. All you have to do is unplug it. You'll get PSM error messages but everything else, like ABS, is working normally.

The pump is located on the left hand side of the front trunk if you are looking down into it. If you have a street car, it's under a plastic cover. In a race car that's been stripped, it will be obvious what the PSM pump looks like.

Have not driven my 996 in the rain yet, but I've wondered if pugging it back in might be a good thing in those cases. Will need to do some before and after testing the next time we get some good rain fall. The fastest rain driver I know still does not like driver aids in the rain, but for us normal people my theory is it will help.

Quick Reply: Spec Boxster questions