Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pads wont stop squealing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:26 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake pads wont stop squealing...

Ok, this isnt porsche related but I figured it's a general question and a bunch of guys here will know the answer.

My dad got some new pads (hawk hp plus) on his A6 2.7t. Rotors are a couple of years old with good life on them.

Like the title says, the squeal wont go away at all. Its downright obnoxious. I personally bedded the pads once, he said he did it before that (seemed like a half assed attempt upon explanation), and he also did it the other day (Don't know anything about that attempt). Once there's a lot of heat in the system there's no squeal (as expected).

Anyways... I know new rotors will cure the issue, but is there a way to keep the old rotors?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:07 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never had rotors causing squealing, it's always the compound of the pad. Why HP + for a street car? I'm guessing that's the problem and the solution is probably a set of street pads.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HP+ pads squeal in my experience. They aren't track pads, but they aren't a super silent street pad either. New rotors won't solve anything.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had those along time ago on a street car and they did make noise. You can belt sand the edges to reduce the squeal.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:33 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did u get the rotors turned? or at least sand the face of the rotor down with some rough sandpaper?

the old pad transfer on the rotor face most likely did not allow the new pad to bed in. also, did u put some high temp grease on the back of the pad?

i got HP+ on my 944 and it barely squeels.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Some brake systems require shims that take the slack out of front to back movement, may want to check the box. Also try applying grease to the backing plate, it sometimes takes a while for the piston to wear a pattern in the backing plate. If all else fails apply the grease directly to the pad and have some one you don't like take for a high speed run.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:13 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I haven't used Hawk pads before, but my experience with Pagid Yellow/Black is that you need to hammer them now and then if driven on the street where really hard braking is not the norm. Not exactly the same as bedding them in - just one or two really hard applications.

But weather right now might be a factor.

I notice from your profile that you are in PA. Cold weather time.. The HP Plus pads are an aggressive pad. If they are anything like the Pagids Yellow/Black that I use, they might not be well suited for cold winter driving (Yellow/Black in the cold can be terrifying). Did you have the same squeal in hot weather? If not, change the pads out for normal street pads, save your rotors and use them when it gets warmer or track season starts.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:42 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HP Plus will squeal. They arent true street pads.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2006 F250 that developed a brake squeal worse than my track car. Infact this fall when pulling up to the gate at NJMP the gate worker asked me if I had race pads on the truck. I took the truck to Ford dealer and they said they would have to cut the rotors to get rid of squeal. That did not work and the Ford technical people got involved and determined that the rotors had hard spots in them and would need to be replaced. I had never heard of such a problem in a brake rotor but so far this seems to have been the fix. Still on the original pads with a little over 20K on them.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:30 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is like no squeal i have heard. Its basically deafening. I'm gonna try to sand the rotors a little because the transfer layer from the old pad is definitely still there. I hope that will fix it.

Quick Reply: Brake pads wont stop squealing...