what about the toyo ra 1's or the 888 ?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:48 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by v-tach
what about the toyo ra 1's or the 888 ?
Those have been discussed. Right now getting the RA-1's in our size 245/285X18 is pretty tough. Not many R888 fans. I think the push for the Hoosiers is at least partially due to the fact that since this an emerging class, the guys want to be competitive with other classes that run on Hoosiers. Once we get a large enough population of 996 Spec cars, I'm hopeful that we can get to a tire that is good for at least a couple of race weekends.

Footnote: My experience with Nitto's was more positive than John's. I found them good for much longer than that, and the price is great. They make a really nice DE tire imho, and if everyone were on them, they might not be too bad of a race tire either.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 860 Posts

I have to concur with Mike: while the NT01's are not as purely grippy as brand new R6's, they sure do last just like the RA1's did, especially when properly cycled in & especially if shaved. I am amazed John did not see this. I am also amazed at him getting only 12 total cycles from R6's. This is pathetic (the tire, not John). I have been very very happy with Hankook Z214's. While I don't know if they come in Spec 996 sizes, and am too lazy to check, I get 20-26 H--A--R--D cycles from mine on my ~3000 lb M3, depending on track & ambient temperature mix. And the dreaded R6 fall off just doesn't happen. After about 10-14 cycles, there is a very slight degradation of ultimate grip, but then it plateaus there until cording. Again, very much like the old RA1's....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 12-20-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: 476 typos.....
Old 12-20-2009, 11:24 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,762 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I have to consur with Mike: while the NT01's are not as purely grippy as brand new R6's, they sure do last juust like the RA1's did, especially when properly cycled in & especially if shaved. I am amazed Johhn did not see this. I am also amazed at him getting only 12 total cycles from R6's. This is pathetic (the tire, not John). I have been very very happy with Hankook Z214's. While I don't know if they come in Spec 996 sizes, and am too lazy to check, I get 20-26 H--A--R--D cycles from mine on my ~3000 lb M3, depending on track & ambient temperature mix. And the dreaded R6 fall off just doesn't happen. After about 1-14 cycles, there is a very slight degradation of ultimate grip, but then it plateaus there until cording. Again, very much like the old RA1's....

i like nitto as much as RA1.
hoosiers are great and i am not as fast as JR but those hoohoos are only good for 6 fast heat cycels, then they REALLY down down hill fast. by 12 HC, they are no better than any regular track tires. by 16HC, you are on borrowed time and they are great to learn how to countersteer and saving your life,
Old 12-20-2009, 11:43 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Footnote: My experience with Nitto's was more positive than John's. I found them good for much longer than that, and the price is great. They make a really nice DE tire imho, and if everyone were on them, they might not be too bad of a race tire either.
I am surprised to hear of JR's experience. I don't have the seat time and wheel to wheel experience as most on this forum, but I have been running NT01's for 3 seasons now and they last a long time and get faster as the tread wears.

My understanding of a spec class is to control costs, so why not choose a tire that cost less and last longer than one weekend? Does it really matter, if we are all running the same rubber? Save the expensive Hoosiers for the GTB class and NASA GTS series.

I am very intrigued in this spec class now that the founders have decided to include the 3.6, but if the setup and running costs are comparable to GTB and such; what's the point?

I would love to see this class gain traction on the east coast.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:03 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,321 Likes on 618 Posts

john, I know we already talked about this on the phone- but just because you're actually in shape @ your weight- don't clown everyone else who's over 200...haha somebody might come suplex you like the WWF
Old 12-21-2009, 07:30 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
- don't clown everyone else who's over 200..
Says the pro athlete who is 20 years younger and 40lbs lighter than all the rest of us.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:18 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 262 Posts

My HoHo experience is about identical to John's, though the 12th heat cycle is rarely much more than an exercise in car control. In cooler temps I can go a little longer and maybe make it to 14-15 cycles, but in the Texas summer 12 cycles has been the limit.

Pretty sure CJ's donkey legs weigh more than John's entire body.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,667 Likes on 860 Posts

Says the pro athlete who is 20 years younger and 40lbs lighter than all the rest of us.

Hey now! He only has the 20 years on me. Well, plus all that hair...

Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Tire debate was beaten to death. While I'm still not a fan of Hoosiers as a spec class tire the move to limit tires was a good one.

Is Moton's new non-remote resivoir shock being considered as well or only the JRZ?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:23 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both setups were considered but the value and support of the JRZ made them the choice.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JC3D
Both setups were considered but the value and support of the JRZ made them the choice.
Plus JRZ offered their 2 way dampers while Moton offered their single adjustable. SInce we already had the relvalved PSS10 Bilsteins, the 2 way made more sense...

BTW and FWIW, the PSS10's are a great shock when revalved for the 700/900 springs. I was disappointed in the PSS9's we ran on the Spec Boxsters, I though they weakened during a 30 minute race. The PSS10's however, are a completely different damper and worked really well....
Old 12-21-2009, 01:23 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean the diving penguin?
The Flying Penguin is busy onboarding the wifey... In any case the new spec rules are a good guide as to what upgrades come next: suspension and bumper/wing are first on the list. From thereon I need to mostly take stuff OUT instead of IN.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Good progress- particularly on the inclusion of the 3.6. I have a 3.4 but already looking for my next motor (hint: it won't be a 3.4)

Couple of points (and yes, its been beaten to death, so look away as necessary):

I like the idea of allowing a car to be flexible in meeting meet weight incl. stoopid stuff like lexan/poly windows. I have poly rear qtrs but only for cooling effect- not weight loss. Having to put glass back in for a Spec race seems kind of immaterial (assuming the car otherwise meets weight).

I run Hoosiers/ Yokos so obviously like them but if keeping costs down is the goal, choosing R6s seems to be counterintuitive. Even if it means choosing an inferior tire, which is likely going to be the case.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:27 PM
NAO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave
Just had lunch with Derek and recons he's gonna kick ur *** in the Cockster

Quick Reply: 2010 996 Spec rules are finalized