Sponsored by:

2010 996 Spec rules are finalized

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:37 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
Good progress- particularly on the inclusion of the 3.6. I have a 3.4 but already looking for my next motor (hint: it won't be a 3.4)

Couple of points (and yes, its been beaten to death, so look away as necessary):

I like the idea of allowing a car to be flexible in meeting meet weight incl. stoopid stuff like lexan/poly windows. I have poly rear qtrs but only for cooling effect- not weight loss. Having to put glass back in for a Spec race seems kind of immaterial (assuming the car otherwise meets weight).

I run Hoosiers/ Yokos so obviously like them but if keeping costs down is the goal, choosing R6s seems to be counterintuitive. Even if it means choosing an inferior tire, which is likely going to be the case.

I concur! This spec stuff is all new to me, but my interpretation is that this class was created to control costs and create a level playing field. With that said, the decision on a hoosier tire confuses a newbee like me. I think most people running at our level would be very satisfied and some will be surprised on how well the NT01 performs and the additional heat cycles at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by CornerCarver; 12-21-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Good comments guys, and FWIW, there has been a LOT of debate about the tire issue. There were enough things to iron out this year on the rules and a lack of consensus on tires, so the tire usage limit was put in place without a change in spec tire. I expect that next year tires will be looked at very carefully.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:09 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, tires were tricky and the topic has been beaten to death over the last year. Next year there will be a lot of discussion over it with what we learn from this year.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:16 PM
manalex
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NAO
Dave
Just had lunch with Derek and recons he's gonna kick ur *** in the Cockster
Not to hijack, but "NAO" are you NEIL ORTON?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:00 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Says the pro athlete who is 20 years younger and 40lbs lighter than all the rest of us.
Originally Posted by jakermc
My HoHo experience is about identical to John's, though the 12th heat cycle is rarely much more than an exercise in car control. In cooler temps I can go a little longer and maybe make it to 14-15 cycles, but in the Texas summer 12 cycles has been the limit.

Pretty sure CJ's donkey legs weigh more than John's entire body.
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Hey now! He only has the 20 years on me. Well, plus all that hair...
Professional Racing and Driving Coach
I'm 29 y.o. and weigh about 206-215, but as Rob points out most of that is in my lower half for CG purposes!

But hey when I retire from baseball my first goal is get down to 180lbs.

I'm bummed I'm never available to run either spec boxsters or spec 996 with you guys...I'm actually selling my SPBOX since it just sits there. might as well just get a sim and start iracing instead!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:46 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm actually selling my SPBOX since it just sits there. might as well just get a sim and start iracing instead!
Turn on the headlights and go out for a few laps....
Old 12-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm 29 y.o. and weigh about 206-215, but as Rob points out most of that is in my lower half for CG purposes!

But hey when I retire from baseball my first goal is get down to 180lbs.

I'm bummed I'm never available to run either spec boxsters or spec 996 with you guys...I'm actually selling my SPBOX since it just sits there. might as well just get a sim and start iracing instead!

Wow, I was nearly 100% correct. I am 48 and weigh 200-205, which is exactly what I have weighed since my senior year of college.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by NAO
Dave
Just had lunch with Derek and recons he's gonna kick ur *** in the Cockster
He only says that because he's a faster driver and the Boxster is a better car.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:06 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Turn on the headlights and go out for a few laps....
this past summer I would actually do skidpad exercises and practice drifting in my CGT, spbox, and 993tt. especially in the wet! great car control clinic to drive a simulated autocross course in the wet with a 600hp car.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
3.6L cars are now included in the Spec with a weight penalty
Great news on the 3.6 cars Mike. This may be a perfect retirement for my car after it's done serving as a daily driver.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.8
Good progress- particularly on the inclusion of the 3.6. I have a 3.4 but already looking for my next motor (hint: it won't be a 3.4)

So what are the rules on an engine swap. I was reading but it didn't seem like it was allowed. Building a 3.4 spec and blowing the motor - putting a 3.4 back in seems to be a waste.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:49 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jaholmes
So what are the rules on an engine swap. I was reading but it didn't seem like it was allowed. Building a 3.4 spec and blowing the motor - putting a 3.4 back in seems to be a waste.
Unfortunately it's not as easy as it appears...
The ECU was upgraded in 02' along with the 3.6 motor to DME 7.8 which requires a complete new wiring harness including new instrument cluster, gas pedal, fuel lines, etc....
Old 12-23-2009, 04:11 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

The ECU was upgraded in 02' along with the 3.6 motor to DME 7.8 which requires a complete new wiring harness including new instrument cluster, gas pedal, fuel lines, etc....
And, if we get the rules right, there will be no performance benefit to the 3.6.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

So then how did Karl Poeltl do his upgrade, or is that the secret sauce. It looks like he started with a 2000, which is e-gas and updated it to 2002 spces. There is probably less involved when you start from an e-gas car.

I understand the weight penalty will even things out, just looking at options.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:28 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jaholmes
So then how did Karl Poeltl do his upgrade, or is that the secret sauce. It looks like he started with a 2000, which is e-gas and updated it to 2002 spces. There is probably less involved when you start from an e-gas car.

I understand the weight penalty will even things out, just looking at options.
It's definitely easier to make the switch from a e-gas 3.4 car (200-2001), but you still have to activate the variocam plus+ and timing. It can be done with a few RPM activiated switches, but it's not as smooth or as effective with the 5.2 DME which is why Porsche developed the 7.8 version.

I believe it's also possible to integrate the 7.8 DME into the 5.2 wiring harness but I've only heard of a few who've been able to make that work. One is Todd Holyoak who frequents the 996 forum at Renntech.org

Another idea I've been exploring is using the 3.6 crank, rods, & pistons(may not be necessary) in the 3.4 cases with the 3.4 cams and 5.2 ECU. It's easily done though I don't think it's legal in 996 Spec. I know of one being built right now here in So Cal that will be a lightweight racer at around 2650 w/driver. Look out....

Quick Reply: 2010 996 Spec rules are finalized