Sponsored by:

2010 996 Spec rules are finalized

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 05:30 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by techtrix
hey John, problem is that your a lightweight a lot of guys are 200+ lbs, so they will have trouble getting to 2800 lbs, so we decided that 2850 would be a good weight to acomidate all the driver sizes.
If you want to run 996 spec and other lighter classes as well, you could swap parts very quickly. FRP hood will save you about 20lbs, you can pop on FRP doors in less than a minute per side that will knock off 40 or so lbs, and pull the lead ballast out as well. Now your down to the 2700lb weigt you need to be for the other classes and it only took you 20 minutes to get there. If you wanted to run a lexan widshield as well, you can have the glass window un glued and attach it with tabs, so you can swap them out in minutes.

Wow! I'm the recipient of Mike Essas's first Rennlist post. Hi Mikey....

Oh and yea I know all that and already plan on switching out the hood. That should get me close to 2750. Now about R3....
Old 12-19-2009, 05:35 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

that's a really interesting class! Will check it closely and i really hope it takes form out east as well.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:09 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,658 Likes on 2,326 Posts

JR, you are only 155lbs.?
you need to hit the gym and get some manly muscle mass.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:23 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
JR, you are only 155lbs.?
you need to hit the gym and get some manly muscle mass.
Yea, yea, yea.... I've lost 10 lbs. this year and have no idea why. Time for some protein supplements I guess....
Old 12-19-2009, 09:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,658 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Yea, yea, yea.... I've lost 10 lbs. this year and have no idea why. Time for some protein supplements I guess....
hum.....
well, once you figure it out, let me know. i like to lose 10 lbs. and i will still be heavier than you
Old 12-19-2009, 09:37 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, I was able to put on 15 lbs this year. I think you should come lifting with me so that I have any chance of catching you next season.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:59 AM
manalex
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work to all that are developing the spec-hope this catches on and is a big hit!

I agree with the higher weight, I think it will make it easier for more to get into the class and hopefully get it all off the ground much faster. Ditto for the 3.6L acceptance into the class-the more participants we have the better it is for the class.

However, I do not understand why there is such an issue is with respect to CF/FRP/Lexan body parts. Assuming the parts have the same OEM shape and you have a minimum weight requirement (including ballast) what's the harm in putting on a FRP hood or CF roof or lexan windshield? There may be some benefit by lowering the CG a bit, but that can only be considered minimal at best. Cost is also a minimal concern in this case because there is no performance enhancement. If someone wants to waste time and money on something that's not going to improve performance relative to other competitors why keep them from stimulating the economy? What am I missing?

Again, great work on the Spec-keep it up.

Alex
Old 12-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mglobe
Competitors are only allowed to use one set of tires per event.
I don't get this. I assume you're getting about 2 weekends on a set, what happens when you cord a tire on Sunday morning on your second weekend?
Old 12-20-2009, 05:54 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I don't get this. I assume you're getting about 2 weekends on a set, what happens when you cord a tire on Sunday morning on your second weekend?

"New Tire Maximum

Maximum, four (4), new tires per competitor per event. An Event will be defined as "Up to: two (2) each, qualifying, time trials and up to (4) sprint races." Any tire may be used for practice sessions. A damaged tire can be replaced .

Not applicable to Enduros."
Old 12-20-2009, 02:07 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

What's the price on JRZ shock package?
Old 12-20-2009, 02:25 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Because the spec tires are Hoosiers, with their particular fall-off, there was concern that folks with big $ would run one set of stickers for qual, and another for racing. So... we instituted the one set per event rule. We figure people will practice on scrubs, and qual and race on stickers. One event's stickers becomes the next event's scrubs. Down the road, we will continue to look at tire options that may give longer life and lower operating expenses. I've been experimenting with BFG's, and have been very happy so far.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:40 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mglobe
Because the spec tires are Hoosiers, with their particular fall-off, there was concern that folks with big $ would run one set of stickers for qual, and another for racing. So... we instituted the one set per event rule. We figure people will practice on scrubs, and qual and race on stickers. One event's stickers becomes the next event's scrubs. Down the road, we will continue to look at tire options that may give longer life and lower operating expenses. I've been experimenting with BFG's, and have been very happy so far.

Have you considered the less costly and long lasting Nitto NT01's?
Old 12-20-2009, 02:44 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Do we have any specs cars running on the east coast?
Old 12-20-2009, 02:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CornerCarver
What's the price on JRZ shock package?
$3,750. with 700/900 springs, tenders, dividers, sway bar brackets, and adapting hardware to the stock top mounts. It's about a substantial discount from list...
Old 12-20-2009, 02:50 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CornerCarver
Have you considered the less costly and long lasting Nitto NT01's?
I tested the Nittos and found they just didn't last any longer than the R6's and didn't have anywhere near the grip. I'm getting 6-8 healthy HC's from the Hoosiers R6's with another 6+ practice cycles after that....

Quick Reply: 2010 996 Spec rules are finalized