Sponsored by:

pros vs cons; open vs enclosed trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:49 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default pros vs cons; open vs enclosed trailer

I have always had enclosed trailers but my son is going to start karting and i plan on buying a p car in 10' and just figured on getting one trailer. Or my other option is to buy a 14 or 16' enclosed for the kart and then an open trailex or pace trailer. So give me some pros and cons.

Also since we are on the subject, what is the min trailer length that can fit a 911 or 944. Now i have had everything from an 18' for karting to 40' for drag racing, (and i know the saying you always need more room) but i am just trying to figure out minimums so i can then take it from there.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

What are you going to tow it with?
Old 11-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Open - light, easy to pull so if you have a smaller truck this is your best bet.

Enclosed - storage and a place to get out of the elements at the track.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:53 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Right now i have a 05 GMC 2500 HD pick up truck, but may buy a ford F250 next year. I know the truck can handle either.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Only cons of an enclosed trailer are initial cost, storage room (parking), and truck needed to pull it safely. Ask any of my friends that have an open trailer if, given the choice, they would rather have open or enclosed. My money is on the "enclosed" vote. To me it's an extra garage bay, tools and spares storage area, and paddock hangout when it's too hot, to cold, or too wet...
Old 11-28-2009, 02:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

there is NO downside to a BIG enclosed trailer other than $$$
i went from small open to large enclosed.
get it right the first time would be a LOT LOT cheaper.

you need 18' clear floor space for enclosed trailer to haul 911's. watercooled cars are 17'. so you have slight space left over to wedge yourself in there to tie the car down.

20' clear space you can easily tie it down and then dump a bunch of stuff up front.

but you really want no less than 24" ;-)
Old 11-28-2009, 03:21 PM
JClark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Open trailer and save yourself boat loads of racing money. Park near a friend with an enclosed and mooch off them for free.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:38 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Only cons of an enclosed trailer are initial cost, storage room (parking), and truck needed to pull it safely. Ask any of my friends that have an open trailer if, given the choice, they would rather have open or enclosed. My money is on the "enclosed" vote. To me it's an extra garage bay, tools and spares storage area, and paddock hangout when it's too hot, to cold, or too wet...
As one of those people with an open trailer huddeling into your enclosed trailer at the sight of rain, If I had storage room I would go for an enclosed. You can fit plenty in , hide from the elements and IMO safer to leave parked up.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:04 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

A nice compromise is the Trailex enclosed trailer. It's lighter than most, weighing under 2000lbs and pretty easy to navigate with storage. I've spoken to a few owners and they love them. It's basically the open Trailex with a cover. Extra ceiling height, access points and storage are added bonuses.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2009, 06:09 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
A nice compromise is the Trailex enclosed trailer. It's lighter than most, weighing under 2000lbs and pretty easy to navigate with storage. I've spoken to a few owners and they love them. It's basically the open Trailex with a cover. Extra ceiling height, access points and storage are added bonuses.

Good luck!

the price of those are out the charts arent they?

Right now i am at 90% enclosed.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2009, 06:25 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I have an open trailer and I agree with Gary........

Of course, since I am one of Gary friends', as long as he shows up to the event/race I really don't need to buy an enclosed one ........
Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I have both and I'm completely conflicted. My 28ft enlcosed Pace is great for hot days at the track (what rain?), but pulling my 18ft. aluminum Featherlite is so easy that lately that's all I've used. I have a lockable shell on my truck so I can fit all my containers and wheels/tires in the back. I hauled the open to Miller in salt Lake City in late September without any issues. I can go faster (85 in Utah), and it gets about 4 MPG more than with the big Pace. Last race of the year next weekend so I'll probably take the Pace as it's getting cold...
Old 11-28-2009, 06:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My son's entire karting career was out of the back of an enclosed aluminum Cargopro, 20'box with 4' Vnose. Still have the trailer, tow vehicle was my wife's Excursion PSD.
It also served as the trailer for the Cup car, back when I actually used to drive (just memories now).

It was very nice being able to work out of the trailer, rain or shine, with the fans going and a place for him to sit down and relax between runs. Back in the Cadet days, the entire grid would be in the trailer playing PSP, eating pizza or just hanging out. Secure place to leave everything overnight at races as well.

IMHO, an all aluminum enclosed for both your car and karting would work out well, equipped with RB components or PitPal stuff for both karting and cars.

The one thing I wish I had done was get Etrack on the walls, which makes it easier to transport the karts on vertical stands.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

I've had both and now have an enclosed 24ft. Haulmark. I wish I'd spent the money and bought a featherlight or Trailex. "Mandatory" hauling load of 10K# for a truck really does limit your truck buying options. If I had it to do over again, I'd still go enclosed, for all the reasons others mention, but I'd go aluminum and downsize the truck requirement to something GAS and not diesel.

Mike
Old 11-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I just sold my open trailer and I'm shopping for an enclosed to haul the 7GT3. I can't bring myself to buy a pickup truck as I vastly prefer an SUV as a DD so I'm limited to a 7200 lb towing capacity. My conclusion after struggling with this for some time is to buy a Trailex. High initial cost but great resale compared to any other brand. I'm also looking forward to having the space to store stuff in rather than cluttering up the garage.

Quick Reply: pros vs cons; open vs enclosed trailer