Sponsored by:

value of my 911? How to judge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:19 AM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lipamax
If you're really looking to get most $$$ out of it - PART IT OUT and sell by pieces...
Otherwise you will need to drink a lot of water to prepare yourself for big pill to swallow.
I am not able to do the work myself. Do you think it would pay to hire it done? Seems the only way it would pay would be if I were able to do the work myself, which I can't do.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:23 AM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
GTS is strictly power to weight, so yes it would fit, but it would need a lot of further prep, and fine tuning to make it a competitve GTS-(4?) car.
Think someone might want it as a GTS-(4?) start? How much would it be worth that way? If it could be done, how would I market it?

Overall, how best to market it too?
Old 10-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I was thinking $25K as well.
You are an optimist!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:16 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speedread
Any chance it would work for NASA GTS class? I know nothing about it, it was someone else's suggestion.

Yes, but it will be a back marker without a better suspension. PSS9's won't be competitive in GTS4 where most cars are max'd out with full race Motons and trick suspensions and gearing. I agree about parting it out. The engine with the proper track mods is worth some money. 25-30K max. Ironically, if it was raced, had a log book and some podiums, you may get a little more.

We feel your pain...................
Old 10-22-2009, 09:41 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 252 Posts

Problem is there are probably less than a handful of people in the country who would have any interest in that car for the issues mentioned. It's not a daily driver and it's not a race car. It's in no man's land with paint work and an engine transplant. If you can find one of those people they might pay $25K but I think you will have the car for sale for a VERY long time at that price.

NASA GTS-4 is where this car would be headed, but with lots of work still. I think you could sell it much faster at $20K if you target either an individual or a shop looking to build for that class. Start here in the GTS forum and the for sale section: http://www.nasaforums.com/index.php

I know a couple of people who are interested in a 996 donor. If you are willing to take $20K, I can pass this lead along.

I would also try and find some shops that look to build this kind of stuff for their customers, but then you are probably talking $15K if they buy direct. May get more if they are already actively helping a customer find a donor and you transact with the customer directly.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

First of all, I am not a big expert in 996 values, so keep in mind this advice should be qualified.

It seems the general consensus here is that $25K is the upper end of what you may get, but $20K might be more realistic. If you want to find a non-racer customer that is willing to pay $25K, I think you will have to have some issues addressed on the car (from what you describe) that will likely eat up that $5K difference.

First is the paintwork: Since the car already has some (presumably quite a bit) non-original paint, you already are taking that hit. The only way to mitigate that is to ensure that the paint on the car is outstanding. Very nicely done work that is fresh and backed up by receipts from a reputable shop will help. You mention it is looking tired in the lower areas, so this might be something to consider. Non-original paint that needs to be renewed hurts twice.

The AC… This car is not like a modified ‘80s 911 where the owner has deliberately deleted the AC for performance reasons. There are a fair number of people who don’t care for AC on those older 911s, and if done properly on a nice car, an AC delete does not necessarily turn off everyone (although this depends a lot on the climate!)

On a 996, disconnected AC just shouts “corner cut, job left un-done”. From a buyer’s perspective, I would be suspicious of the attention to detail that was taken with the rest of the work on the car.

I think to get top dollar you really have to present a no-issues car.

Although not in the same dollar range as you, I too have bought an (older) 911 and have spent too much on it and will NEVER see any $ return if I sell.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
You are an optimist!
+1.
A 2000 996 in pristine factory condition with 30K miles, maybe as high as $25K. A car with this history? $20K would be a lot of money.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:31 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as a point of reference, a local (Orlando) dealer is asking $19.9k for a stock 2000 in excellent condition.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:58 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Well ... I'd agree this car is a DE candidate. Highest and best use.

As a DE car, it is a LOT of car for 20 IMHO. Good bits and pieces. You just need to find the right buyer. He's (she's) certainly out there.

Rennlist, Pelican, local and national PCA are good places to advertise.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:00 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Just a thought but, could the car be shoe-horned into GTB? I am thinking the engine change might be fatal but not sure?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by amjf088
The AC… This car is not like a modified ‘80s 911 where the owner has deliberately deleted the AC for performance reasons. There are a fair number of people who don’t care for AC on those older 911s, and if done properly on a nice car, an AC delete does not necessarily turn off everyone (although this depends a lot on the climate!)

On a 996, disconnected AC just shouts “corner cut, job left un-done”. From a buyer’s perspective, I would be suspicious of the attention to detail that was taken with the rest of the work on the car.
Good point on the AC. You have the worst situation in that there is no functioning AC (issue for the street/track combo car crowd), but you are still hauling the weight of the AC system around the track (issue for the track/race only crowd).
Old 10-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Find large, busy construction sites. Leave it parked behind running bulldozer or payloader...leave a 6-pack on the seat of the dozer.....
Old 10-22-2009, 12:25 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You asked for it. The Truth with no sugar coating- $20k on a bright sun shiny zipidy dodah day. I have bought and sold my fair share of track cars and am constantly keeping an eye on the market. As stated before, your car is in between a lot of things without being something. If you strip it, you are going to pay someone to take it out, pay someone to put it back, and maybe get .30 for the parts- which really means you got .15. As a daily, the cage is a paperweight. Either way, PSS9's barely more than a paperweight. SS lines, brake pads, SSK, are of no value either way. GT3 seats can be sold. Your control arms and suspension pieces are the only parts of any value, and that is not alot. Twice damaged raises some flags for any buyer. A white group DE driver or a high school kid looking for a poser race car are your likely exits with this car.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, I am of the opinion that most of the people replying to your post are trying to let you down nicely and accordingly, are at least $5k too high. At this time of the year in the Midwest you'll be lucky to get $15k. Next spring, perhaps $19K.

A better tactic would be to confirm current theft insurance coverage and leave it unlocked in certain areas of Milwaukee, with the keys in plain view. Even then the thief might refuse to steal it as the first thing they'll check is to make sure the AC is working "****, man, this piece of carp doesn't even blow cold air"

All of us on the list feel your pain as early on, we all likely did something simliar to what you did, before we knew better.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Is keeping it an option? What daily driver are you going to get that you will enjoy for what you could sell this one for?

If you need cash and have another car, sell that one and drive this one.

Quick Reply: value of my 911? How to judge?