Sponsored by:

value of my 911? How to judge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:55 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by speedread
I've decided to retire from the track,.... It was worth it. I've been able to run with some of the GT3s, ...
Maybe, you should go back to the guys your run/ran with, who know the car and you, to see if there is anyone there (friend of a friend maybe) is interested and to see what the local market will bear... Agree with the other posts on value. I also think that a buyer from afar will have tons of questions and hedge bets by low-balling (in protection). Someone that knows you and the car, or can vouch for same, may be more comfortable offering more $ .. Just a thought. GL.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ironically, the engine swap hurts the value in my (non expert) opinion. If you had swapped the engine for an original engine, there would be some guys interested in it for spec 996. But not with the 997 engine. It's not worth the cost and pain in the *** of swapping back given all the other donor 996's on the market.

Someone should sticky this thread as the posterchild example of why it's never a good idea to go nuts modding a street car for DE's instead of just buying an already built race car that is legal in some class.

I agree that the target buyer is an advanced DE driver who has no intention of ever racing. This car could dominate the podium at DE's.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Problem is there are probably less than a handful of people in the country who would have any interest in that car for the issues mentioned. It's not a daily driver and it's not a race car. It's in no man's land with paint work and an engine transplant. If you can find one of those people they might pay $25K but I think you will have the car for sale for a VERY long time at that price.
BTW, this would be true even if the economy was doing well. Cars that have been modified to do well in a DE but are no longer race legal typically don't sell well as there is a very limited audience for them. You need to find a white run group driver (or above) who has crashed and totaled his car.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Craig T.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don’t you schedule a “Thelma and Louise” day at some local cliff, pack the bonnet with gas cans, and then post a “Fall Funds Drive” (forgive the pun) for donations from all the Rennlist Forum members. I’d bet you could get $20,000 in donations if you did a live web-cast.

I knew a guy who wrecked his 360 Ferrari. The insurance totaled it. He bought it back, glassed it up, and sold it to a Hollywood studio that wrecked it in a movie. That’s a second option.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:01 PM
DanR
Drifting

to give you some hope, there are plenty of people out thee who want to DE and have no intention of ever racing. This may be a good car for them. Just need to find the right person, good luck.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
to give you some hope, there are plenty of people out thee who want to DE and have no intention of ever racing. This may be a good car for them. Just need to find the right person, good luck.
Right, you need to find this person when they are tired of their own car (or have crashed it beyond the point of fixing) and have decided that they also want a car that is only a DE car and not a race car.

I knew someone that was in a similar situation and it took him about 2 years to sell it, and this was when the economy was extremely good.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:46 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

If you can't find a DE buyer you could pull the cage, plug in the A/C and restore the OEM harness, yielding a warmed-over street car for a much larger market.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:11 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Boy I'd love to see the $62k itemized. I'm guessing $20-22k for the 997 motor. That leave $40k for the other stuff. Doesn't compute?

I think the car is easily worth over $15k. $20-23k is my guess. Lots of nice parts. I'm guessing the 997 motor alone is worth $7-8k, seats and harnesses $2k, cup parts plus lwf have to be worth $4-5k, trans w/LSD has value too. Sell all that and you still have a caged tub that a spec 996 racer may buy for another $4-5k. Is the cage a bolt-in or good KMR welded cage?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:12 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amjf088
First of all, I am not a big expert in 996 values, so keep in mind this advice should be qualified.

It seems the general consensus here is that $25K is the upper end of what you may get, but $20K might be more realistic. If you want to find a non-racer customer that is willing to pay $25K, I think you will have to have some issues addressed on the car (from what you describe) that will likely eat up that $5K difference.

First is the paintwork: Since the car already has some (presumably quite a bit) non-original paint, you already are taking that hit. The only way to mitigate that is to ensure that the paint on the car is outstanding. Very nicely done work that is fresh and backed up by receipts from a reputable shop will help. You mention it is looking tired in the lower areas, so this might be something to consider. Non-original paint that needs to be renewed hurts twice.

The AC… This car is not like a modified ‘80s 911 where the owner has deliberately deleted the AC for performance reasons. There are a fair number of people who don’t care for AC on those older 911s, and if done properly on a nice car, an AC delete does not necessarily turn off everyone (although this depends a lot on the climate!)

On a 996, disconnected AC just shouts “corner cut, job left un-done”. From a buyer’s perspective, I would be suspicious of the attention to detail that was taken with the rest of the work on the car.

I think to get top dollar you really have to present a no-issues car.

Although not in the same dollar range as you, I too have bought an (older) 911 and have spent too much on it and will NEVER see any $ return if I sell.
One thing you guys are forgetting. ALL the work, including the paintwork, was done by the top notch group at Kelly Moss. As a DE car it is fantastic. As a DD it is a pain that I have, until now, gladly put up with. No, it doesn't look like a Peble Beach winner, but it does look like a runner up. I emphasised its faults to be honest. (Ok, I get it. My mods were over the top as I pushed on to have a great DE car, and I can't expect to get any real return on the $ spent).
Old 10-22-2009, 05:15 PM
speedread
Racer

Originally Posted by jakermc
Problem is there are probably less than a handful of people in the country who would have any interest in that car for the issues mentioned. It's not a daily driver and it's not a race car. It's in no man's land with paint work and an engine transplant. If you can find one of those people they might pay $25K but I think you will have the car for sale for a VERY long time at that price.

NASA GTS-4 is where this car would be headed, but with lots of work still. I think you could sell it much faster at $20K if you target either an individual or a shop looking to build for that class. Start here in the GTS forum and the for sale section: http://www.nasaforums.com/index.php

I know a couple of people who are interested in a 996 donor. If you are willing to take $20K, I can pass this lead along.

I would also try and find some shops that look to build this kind of stuff for their customers, but then you are probably talking $15K if they buy direct. May get more if they are already actively helping a customer find a donor and you transact with the customer directly.
Thanks, I will keep your offer in mind.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:22 PM
speedread
Racer

Originally Posted by TR6
......Someone should sticky this thread as the posterchild example of why it's never a good idea to go nuts modding a street car for DE's instead of just buying an already built race car that is legal in some class.

I agree that the target buyer is an advanced DE driver who has no intention of ever racing. This car could dominate the podium at DE's.
You are rigth, at least when it comes time to sell. I never intended to race. DE only.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:25 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by speedread
One thing you guys are forgetting. ALL the work, including the paintwork, was done by the top notch group at Kelly Moss. As a DE car it is fantastic.
You're correct.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:31 PM
speedread
Racer

Originally Posted by JR944
Boy I'd love to see the $62k itemized. I'm guessing $20-22k for the 997 motor. That leave $40k for the other stuff. Doesn't compute?

I think the car is easily worth over $15k. $20-23k is my guess. Lots of nice parts. I'm guessing the 997 motor alone is worth $7-8k, seats and harnesses $2k, cup parts plus lwf have to be worth $4-5k, trans w/LSD has value too. Sell all that and you still have a caged tub that a spec 996 racer may buy for another $4-5k. Is the cage a bolt-in or good KMR welded cage?
The cage is a hybrid developed and made by Kelly Moss. It comes out. and would fit another 996. Bolted together with strong halfpipe and plug connections and welded anchor plates. Full sixe, and KM felt it was as strong as their welded.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:38 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

My cousin just sold his 2001 996 cab three weeks ago, he went to 3 different dealers in the Charlotte, NC area. He brought the car 2yrs ago for $38,000 with 22,000 miles on the odometer.

Carmax offer him $19,000, Hendricks Porsche offer him $20,000, he ended selling it to an Independent Dealer out at Lake Norman $23,000. His car only had 32,000 miles on it and was in excellent condition.

A 1999 996 in todays market even with a number of modifications is not going to warrant what you are trying to get. I wish you the best on selling your car.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:47 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=wpriller;7009409] not going to warrant what you are trying to get. /QUOTE]

I think the OP was asking for opinions. Don't recall him saying what he wanted to get. Maybe I missed it?

Quick Reply: value of my 911? How to judge?