Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for well built cage pictures - 944

Old 09-28-2009, 03:57 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looking for well built cage pictures - 944

As the title said I'm looking for well built cage pictures to show a potential cage builder exactly what I want.

The problem with my current cage (a bolt in cage from OGRacing) is that the bars that goes up the A pillar and then the bar that connects them at the top of the windshield are too close to my helmet and pose a potential danger (at least that's the way I percieve them). They are several inches off the A pillar and I'm sure it can be done better.

I'd like to see pictures of the a pillar bars that go through the vent in the dash as well as what you've done across the drivers door.

The cage should meet PCA and NASA specs.

Show me whatcha got !
Thanks.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:03 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...hlight=944+cup
Old 09-28-2009, 05:01 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.brooksbabies.com/porsche/inst13.htm

My cage by Jim Pierce, in Torrance, CA.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:17 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's mine:

.....just kidding.

Mine has a Piper cage, that had been installed under prior ownership. Its got the NASCAR style door bars on the driver's side, with the door gutted. I'll try to snap some pics tonite.

Are you going to be at VIR with NASA in a couple weeks?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Eddie,
Shoot me a PM with your email. I have a bunch of pictures of my cage as done by Piper Motorsports in NoVa. He (Mitch Piper), goes through the top of the dash, above the vent even. Door bars he'll do however you want. It is easier for me to zip them up in a email rather than resize to post here. Some of mine is very similar to Brants, some not.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.hanksvillehotrods.com

Here are their pre-bent 944 cages.
http://www.hanksvillehotrods.com/Pro...1/Default.aspx

here are some they have done
http://www.hanksvillehotrods.com/Pro...6/Default.aspx
Old 09-28-2009, 07:26 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Eddie;

Unsolicited pot shots on other people's work;

Pierce - 1) Absolutely stoooopid to terminate the rear stays on the rear wheel housings. No structural sense in that at all. Might as well be a bolt in. 2) I always put the header tube IN FRONT of the exisiting roof header, ESPECIALLY if the driver is short. You are looking for more space there (head clearance), so putting your header tube behind the roof header would be dumb.

Hanksville - MANY MANY unsupported tube junctures and non-nodal interfaces of critical tubes.... like door bars. Yikes!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:01 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks everyone. Please keep them comming if you have any more.

Chris-
Nice work on the door bars. I'm thinking of going w/ the NASCAR bars on the driver side and the x brace on the passenger side as well.

Joe-
Thanks for the link showing some options to consider.

John-
I was hoping you'd chime in as I know you have done many of these. I'd like to see some pics of your work if possible. If you'd prefer you can email me at eddiefort at gmail dot com. BTW, I absolutely agree with you re. the header tube as that is my main problem with my current setup. I guess I am short...

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:11 AM
M758
Race Director

John,
Hanks cages.... Personally I think the only weak point are the door bars. Specfically the round bend from the main hoop. I realize why it is done as it happens with main hoop is set back in tub. Then trying go into the door forces this odd bend. I am not sure I like that, but one set of door bars was "crash tested" and came out fine. Still how hard was the hit? Unknown.

BTW... I don't have a hanksville cage. I had my done local in Az long before Hank became part of the 944 scene.

Here is mine taken years ago. It only has single door bars that I will be needing to address.

Also the harness bar is a little low. Works for me, but would need to be higher for most other drivers.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:24 AM
M758
Race Director

Here is current door bar and what I have plans of creating. I don't have the elbow room for straight bars and making an X given the current bar does not work. So the idea is to add in the upper bar and two spreaders. The upper bar would have 2 bends and the spreader would attach at the bends connecting to the lower existing bar.
Attached Images   
Old 09-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Weston
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
John,
Hanks cages.... Personally I think the only weak point are the door bars. Specfically the round bend from the main hoop. I realize why it is done as it happens with main hoop is set back in tub. Then trying go into the door forces this odd bend. I am not sure I like that, but one set of door bars was "crash tested" and came out fine. Still how hard was the hit? Unknown.
The door you saw was actually worse before we tried to fix it at the track. Chuck got T-boned right in the driver's door bar and there's no doubt that cage held up exceptionally well. Here is Chuck's car...

And here is the car that hit it...

I'd trust a Hanksville cage.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:31 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Multiple concerns with a rollcage, which many seem to not understand.
First, and most important is safety, ability to handle loads properly and also to potentionally deform and absorb impact.
Second, and can also be included in safety is the clearance issue, this can be for additional space around driver and also for obstruction of vision (A Piller, x bar in rear, header bar too low, etc).
Third and also equally important, is additional structure(chassis) stiffness.

Just because a cage or a certain cage builders cage has survived an incident does not mean it has the best of all worlds.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:12 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

I'll give my 2 cents...I'd stay clear of the Autopower roll cages for racing b/c they were designed to fit in the car with the interior still in tact - meaning the bars are a lot closer to the driver / passenger increasing potential to hit them in a crash. I had an Autopower installed and found that the rear horizontal bar did not connect with the rear diagonal bar (required by NASA). I was allowed to race at a NASA event by exception (but would not get a log book).

I wound up having it completely cut out and a new custom cage installed by www.kcraceware.com (local race shop that supports PCA and SCCA racers). I'm in Kansas City so they are close to me. I like the cage they made as I'm 6'4" and it gives me a lot of clearance. I don't have pics of my cage (car is in my storage unit) but they did a great job extending the cage to the firewall to give me extra protection for my legs and back to the upper frame.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:26 PM
M758
Race Director

Autopower cages are NASA legal. Not sure what you are talking about with the horizontal. Now that said you correct about fitting with an interior. They may be "ok", but far from ideal.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Weston
Racer

Originally Posted by M758
Autopower cages are NASA legal. Not sure what you are talking about with the horizontal. Now that said you correct about fitting with an interior. They may be "ok", but far from ideal.
My car and another car here in my region both have Autopower cages and didn't have that problem with the horizontal bar. If you install it new (ie it's not already drilled), you can adjust the clearance a little so that it's not that big of a deal. I'm more concerned with the mounting points, as it just clamps down onto sheet metal which isn't part of the car's structure. That said, Autopower cages have proven to survive roll overs and such, and I haven't heard of them ever actually punching through the floor (just Internet speculation, since everyone's an expert on the Internet and all), and obviously they meet NASA and SCCA standards.

In any case, our sport is dangerous anyway you look at it... I can spend 10 times as much as the rest of you on safety gear and still do something that causes me to get hurt. If you get on the "safety train", you have to decide where to get off, otherwise it's just going to lead you to sitting on your couch and watching racing on TV, rather than actually being a part of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for well built cage pictures - 944