Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for well built cage pictures - 944

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Joel, I thought your original cage was a Safety Devices bolt in?

As far as the Hanksville cage, I will say it fits very well. One benefit of that is that it allowed me to weld the a-pillars into the cage with small plates. You could place the dash bar lower (under the steering column, making a node with the door bars, but that places that bar closer to your legs. My current, custom cage is that way, but there are advantages & disadvanages to it.

This is another nice cage, made by Izzy's custom cages:

Old 09-29-2009, 06:06 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Autopower cages are NASA legal. Not sure what you are talking about with the horizontal. Now that said you correct about fitting with an interior. They may be "ok", but far from ideal.
The diagonal bar behind the drive's head that goes to the floor on the passenger side, and the horizontal harness bar are not connected together on the autopower cage. The diagnonal bar passes about an inch or so in front of the horizontal bar. NASA rulebook says they have to meet and be welded (even shows a diagram in the rule book). Joel tried to get his log book at a race out in Illinois or Indiana, and they told him the cage was not allowed because of this. They would let him race, but would not give him his log book on the new car???
Old 09-29-2009, 06:18 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

From the NASA CCR

Autopower Rollbar (this is not in a race car, but the rollbar in my DE car, but the rear hoop design is the same)

Some clarification on this would be fantastic!
Old 09-29-2009, 06:34 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those two bars intersect and are welded just like any other cage on my Autopower cage.

Maybe those shown not intersecting are old version?
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2009, 06:48 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
From the NASA CCR

Some clarification on this would be fantastic!
That is fine. The horizontal harness bar is not required. The diagrams in the CCRs are for people who have harness bars that intersect the hoop diagonal. If you have a harness bar that intersects the diagonal, the diagonal should be 1 straight piece. If it was incorrectly constructed as 2 pieces, it must be installed as if it was 1 straight piece.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Most autopower cages are like shiner's. Legal. Also a seperate harness bar form the diagonal should not be an issue. The safety devices cage do have an issue the diagonal terminates at the base of the rear stay vs in the plane of the main hoop. For that however I figure you just need to put in a legal diagonal. Not a big deal really.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:08 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FlyingDog
That is fine. The horizontal harness bar is not required. The diagrams in the CCRs are for people who have harness bars that intersect the hoop diagonal. If you have a harness bar that intersects the diagonal, the diagonal should be 1 straight piece. If it was incorrectly constructed as 2 pieces, it must be installed as if it was 1 straight piece.
Just the explanation we needed. Now if the 944 SPEC tech inspectors would read this, lol!

I have been writing a series of articles for our local PCA newsletter about the process of building a spec car, so i have had to amend an article because of this issue.....i guess I will amend it again!

Originally Posted by shiners780
Those two bars intersect and are welded just like any other cage on my Autopower cage.

We ordered 3 cages from autopower early this year, and they all came with non-intersecting bars.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:18 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is not 944 spec issue. NASA CCR's and your local NASA tech guys.

944 spec is not involved with basic cage rules like this.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Gotcha.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Here's mine, built and installed by Mark at Kirk Racing in B'ham. Hard to see the cage well since I have the passenger seat still installed from my last DE that I instructed (like to be able to take my students for a ride).

John, notice how the front a-pillar bar goes to the floor pan but is also welded to the side plate. I've not seen this on other builds, what are you thoughts?
Attached Images      
Old 09-29-2009, 09:43 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have issues with your local guys about something you believe to be legal per class rules and the CCRs, ask NASA National. Your local regional has the ultimate say about safety, but NASA National can help apply pressure if you are right.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:43 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about one of these to replace my safety devices bolt in cage, especially with the current exchange rate http://www.customcages.co.uk/Rollcag...ype=Multipoint

any thoughts?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:20 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a few of mine during the build.Different emphasis , this car won't be racing door to door, more rollover protection.
Attached Images     
Old 09-30-2009, 10:51 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
Joel, I thought your original cage was a Safety Devices bolt in?
Mine was an Autopower weld in roll cage.
Originally Posted by shiners780

I bought the car from Underground Autosport (who is also a local shop) who built it for SP1 and NASA 944 Spec racing. Of the 6 they ordered 2 came without that connected bars (of which I got one of them). Some reason they got a different version and bought the old cage back from me (which I was impressed they stand behind their work and warranty).

I'm not trying to knock the Autopower cages as cheap or unsafe in any way - just my experience with them. I should have stated that the other cages I saw had the intersecting bars but for some reason mine didn't.

In the end I'm far happier I went ahead and had a custom cage built to fit my tall frame (or as Karl says "larger frame") and have more confidence pushing the limit. It gave me several inches more clearance and I now have a knee bar that is underneath the dash and not directly touching my shins / knees.

Plus I can feel the car being slightly stiffer b/c they new cage runs to the firewall giving me better foot protection and the cage is mounted to frame and suspension points rather than plain sheet metal.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:35 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
I always put the header tube IN FRONT of the exisiting roof header, ESPECIALLY if the driver is short. You are looking for more space there (head clearance), so putting your header tube behind the roof header would be dumb.
RedlineMan -- Can you elaborate? I'm not picturing this ... thanks.

Quick Reply: Looking for well built cage pictures - 944