Sponsored by:

Ugh - sorry Mark

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Thanks guys, Its been a tough couple of day, and this helps!
Ill take the advice and get another check up this week. VR, you are right, it was really dumb to go out there without the H-N restraint. I have a lot of neck muscle pain right now, and I bet there would have been none if I was wearing one yesterday! I just hope the back pain goes away soon! The whole thing just sucks. Man, what we put ourselves through for the love of the sport. This is going to be a real tough road back though.
Thanks again,

Mark

Mark, just to be clear, I am not saying you are or were dumb. Despite your (and Wayne's) relentless ****/derogatory comments/pictures/etc. towards me regarding ending up in a sand trap as a result of an accident beyond my control, I have no interest in giving you any measure of **** for an accident that apparently was beyond your control. In addition, we all have lapses of judgement. The take-away lesson is clear for everyone here, myself included; the ONE time we don't wear our safety gear is invariably the ONE time we will really need it.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 AM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember seeing you and your car in a segment of a show on Speed Channel. The story of you, your car and your approach to racing have been an inspiration to a lot of low budget racers, definitely has been to me.

I had a huge crash about a year and a half ago. The pain kept me from sleeping for a good month, another two after that to get back to normal. Building a new car was good therapy for me.

Putting it behind me and getting back on track has been very satisfying.

I hope to see you do the same.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
We're all grown ups and accept the risk that every time you go on track it could yours or your machines last time.

Maybe Obama would like to hear about Kiborts issues....
Right, it sucks to help people out. I worked hard for my money, and damn if I will give any to people who need it.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:41 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can only echo the others' sentiments, Mark; sorry about the car, glad you're ok.
Now, time to upgrade the car...

I recall 5 years ago at Road Atlanta, complaining about wearing a Hans, Rick DeMan told me that we all hate it but too bad. I went out for a practice session and had the biggest crash of my life. I was injured, but it saved me for sure. Never give it a second thought since.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you are walking and talking after that one. Sorry about the car. Sounds like you have a good group around you that are ready to help out getting you back on the track. Take that to heart as that alone is priceless.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Nasty looking crash, glad you are okay.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 PM
MLIN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jeez, that totally blows. Glad you are okay though.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:20 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez Mark,

that was one hell of a crash.

Glad you and the other driver came out... O K !!!

Like others have said... get a full "check-up".

Neck & back injuries can show up a week or two later.

Good Luck on getting back to the track.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:30 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by hp18racer
I remember seeing you and your car in a segment of a show on Speed Channel. The story of you, your car and your approach to racing have been an
inspiration to a lot of low budget racers, definitely has been to me.
(First, I am glad Mark is okay)

I'm not sure how many budget racers are "sponsored" by an online forum where entire engines are paid for by dozens of people.
He Finds out his motor is getting weak:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...od-news-2.html

So people start finding money, to give to him through an arbiter, to get another engine:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...ss-report.html
And I mean NEW. Stroker Crank, Rods, Pistons, bores, etc.
He gets sent the new engine, and proceeds to slap old, non-renewed pieces on it, because he is on this “budget” (What budget? The engine was paid for mostly if not all by others time and money)
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...-goodness.html

Now the car (and maybe the engine that was paid for by others) may be done. Racing incident – to be sure –
I think Mark can get his own **** this time guys.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:34 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a bit of an axe to grind do ya Brendan? Mommy didn't buy you that toy you wanted? Sheesh.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Dont worry Dave, I am completely clear on that. After something like this, everyone's true colors come though, so I appreciate the note and message. And what you say now, even after all the bantering and misunderstandings, is perfectly clear so dont worry. Dave, your picture with bent wheels locking up into the trap was obvious for the cause. spinning backwards on the main straight? Yeah, we all know you had some help. I give you a hard time, because you are so damn good with picture-posts when you go on the attack in our discussions

Serously, it was stupid of me to get so comfortable that I felt I could not put on the H-N Restraint this weekend. Mine is a hassle as it isnt like the newer stuff, but regardless and that's no excuse. It will be on next time I hit the track in a race, and probably will upgraded to the new stuff. Its like everyone is saying, the time you DONT use it, is the time that not only will you be in an accident, but its the type of accident where you would need it( like straight into a wall at 100mph.). I almost have tears of joy, thinking how lucky I was that the type of crash didnt leave me more injured. I have video. (not of the crash, battery died 1 lap before), and it shows me lapping that same car in the EXACT same place on the track 5min earlier, yes lapping every 5 mins!. I saw the wall I hit from that video, and it was the only section that had about 60 feet of tires. Im convinced the tires saved me.

The only problem now, is getting the "would have, could have, should have" voices out of my head. (And I wish I could stand up without grunting )

Thanks you guys, I really appriate the concern, help and words of wisdom/perspective.

Mark

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Mark, just to be clear, I am not saying you are or were dumb. Despite your (and Wayne's) relentless ****/derogatory comments/pictures/etc. towards me regarding ending up in a sand trap as a result of an accident beyond my control, I have no interest in giving you any measure of **** for an accident that apparently was beyond your control. In addition, we all have lapses of judgement. The take-away lesson is clear for everyone here, myself included; the ONE time we don't wear our safety gear is invariably the ONE time we will really need it.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-08-2009, 02:22 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schwank
Got a bit of an axe to grind do ya Brendan? Mommy didn't buy you that toy you wanted? Sheesh.
Nope. All above board. I simply want to make sure everyone knows the situation for comments past "Get well Mark" which we all want.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:51 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Brendan,

First of all, thank you for the well wishes! Really.

Its fine if you no longer want to be part of what has been a couple of pretty exciting seasons for the 928 with the Rennlist sponsored motor. Sure, I was blown away with the donations to give the old dog a little more power. Just to cover the accuracy of your post, even though i didnt use "New" parts, the parts I did use were perfectly fine, as proven by the 28th race day the car has participated in. No, I didnt grind off the edges of the heads that bent the excess gasket, and I know you are upset about that, but it didnt seem to effect anything now did it. also, the cost of the motor change was near double the funds that were raised, and If I really wanted to do it, i could have done it for the same cost to me, using Andersons old pistons and rods, a bored block and joes old crank. Instead, the list all got involved and made it their car too. I felt compelled to keep on racing, and not miss a single race out of a commitment I had made to race the car with the new engine, even though I probably should have stopped. This season, runnning near the championship points in NorCal SCCA is all due to the lists' involvement with the motor project.

Now, if the list wants to continue to help with this recent hurdle, I would be very surprised, as I have been by Mark Anderson's Donation of a chassis from 928International, but why do you care? I guess the last sentence and the tone has me a little confused. If it is not important to you that my 928 is back on track or I never race again, or that the list doesnt benefit from any of my quirky racing testing/proving, thats fine. I think from the many emails and posts that there are interest in keeping the Holbert car racing, even if it now will only be in spirit!

Respectfully,

Mark

Originally Posted by BrendanC
(First, I am glad Mark is okay)

I'm not sure how many budget racers are "sponsored" by an online forum where entire engines are paid for by dozens of people.
He Finds out his motor is getting weak:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...od-news-2.html

So people start finding money, to give to him through an arbiter, to get another engine:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...ss-report.html
And I mean NEW. Stroker Crank, Rods, Pistons, bores, etc.
He gets sent the new engine, and proceeds to slap old, non-renewed pieces on it, because he is on this “budget” (What budget? The engine was paid for mostly if not all by others time and money)
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...-goodness.html

Now the car (and maybe the engine that was paid for by others) may be done. Racing incident – to be sure –
I think Mark can get his own **** this time guys.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:00 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I think there are few of the grass roots racers still around to varying degrees out there today. Its pretty satisfying in otherways to do ALL the work with 0 support, and it has been a ton of fun, to race this car while now its a shame that it might be over. To race an entire season on just entry fees and consumables is pretty hard work and a lot of sacrafices to comfort, but if it allows for the ability to enjoy this sport, its worth it to me, even though financially, I probably shouldnt be racing. I know the risks, I have come to terms with the outcome, but its still depressing to have it happen like this. However, getting back in the saddle is important for a few reasons, one you mention.

Yeah, day 3, the pain is still pretty high, though low enough to be off the Advil now.

Mark

Originally Posted by hp18racer
I remember seeing you and your car in a segment of a show on Speed Channel. The story of you, your car and your approach to racing have been an inspiration to a lot of low budget racers, definitely has been to me.

I had a huge crash about a year and a half ago. The pain kept me from sleeping for a good month, another two after that to get back to normal. Building a new car was good therapy for me.

Putting it behind me and getting back on track has been very satisfying.

I hope to see you do the same.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:28 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Brendan,

First of all, thank you for the well wishes! Really.

Its fine if you no longer want to be part of what has been a couple of pretty exciting seasons for the 928 with the Rennlist sponsored motor. Sure, I was blown away with the donations to give the old dog a little more power. Just to cover the accuracy of your post, even though i didnt use "New" parts, the parts I did use were perfectly fine, as proven by the 28th race day the car has participated in. No, I didnt grind off the edges of the heads that bent the excess gasket, and I know you are upset about that, but it didnt seem to effect anything now did it. also, the cost of the motor change was near double the funds that were raised, and If I really wanted to do it, i could have done it for the same cost to me, using Andersons old pistons and rods, a bored block and joes old crank. Instead, the list all got involved and made it their car too. I felt compelled to keep on racing, and not miss a single race out of a commitment I had made to race the car with the new engine, even though I probably should have stopped. This season, runnning near the championship points in NorCal SCCA is all due to the lists' involvement with the motor project.

Now, if the list wants to continue to help with this recent hurdle, I would be very surprised, as I have been by Mark Anderson's Donation of a chassis from 928International, but why do you care? I guess the last sentence and the tone has me a little confused. If it is not important to you that my 928 is back on track or I never race again, or that the list doesnt benefit from any of my quirky racing testing/proving, thats fine. I think from the many emails and posts that there are interest in keeping the Holbert car racing, even if it now will only be in spirit!

Respectfully,

Mark

I think you should get your own **** mark. Thats all. Everyone else does. The "holbert Car" is done now. The free 8k motor may even be done.

All I am saying is that you are on your own now. Anything else you get is charity for you - an amateur racer who doesn't even treat the stuff that you do get through charity that well (not talking about the crash).

It just seems weird and freaky to me that you will take charity to run your hobby.

Its just... weird. YOU crashed the car, though it may not have started in your court. It is now.

You want to race as an amatuer? Fine - but foot your own bills. ALL of them.

Will this sentiment make me look like an ***? Sure. Do I give a ****? nope. I think I will post this on the 928 forum so I can let everyone else over there on my thoughts as well.

PS - do you LIKE basically being propped up by several dozen people to race for a hobby because you may not be able to afford being as competitive on your own?

Sponsors (its a charity for you though) get to make decisions as to the direction of a "team" that they sponsor. You are just a guy racing on the weekends between making money for your family to eat - like everyone else on here.

Quick Reply: Ugh - sorry Mark