Sponsored by:

DRIVERS EDUCATION EVENT with Mardi Gras Region PCA

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Default DRIVERS EDUCATION EVENT with Mardi Gras Region PCA

Drivers Education Event at No Problem Raceway Park.
This event is for both certified solo drivers and students driving with Instructors in their passenger seat.
Classroom instruction is provided for students and all other drivers are welcome to attend.
Students and solo drivers are placed into run groups (Green, Blue, Blue Solo and Yellow) based on their driving skills.

At this event we will have a "Ladies Only" run group.

This group will have classroom and track time until 12 noon and then go to a plantation for lunch and a tour.

The $75 registration fee for this group is for the DE only.

Pay your own way for the lunch and tour.

NOTE: Payment at the track will be $25 more.

Save your $ by registering and paying before registration closes on 9/22/09.

More information on our Drivers Education (DE) event is available at www.mgpca.org.

Only $125......!

T
Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 951and944S
This event is for both certified solo drivers and students driving with Instructors in their passenger seat.
T
I am certifiable, does that count?

I'm in and looking forward to it!
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:12 PM
87_944s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already signed up

Originally Posted by ervtx

Too bad you missed out on crawfish season

Eon S.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:24 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 87_944s
Already signed up

Too bad you missed out on crawfish season

Eon S.
NP, I'll get boudin in Lafayette
Old 09-04-2009, 12:14 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Heh heh...., erm, no comment....

You'll be soloing but we do have some very good instructors.

Construction on the new circuit is set to begin right away so you could come back in 9 months or so and drive a completely different track Russell.

Don't worry on the pace of the sign-ups on CR.....most people around here flood the event right towards the end....very different situation to a track like TWS where if you don't have your finger on the mouse to click "register" the minute the event opens, you just might be on a wait list.

We were just doing some lap comparisons just the other day and a car like yours will cover the S/F straight from T14-T1 a full2 seconds quicker than our NA 944s so have mercy on us eh...?

Eon has a few vids up on Vimeo, even 1-2 with me in them too but with a car like your new one, maybe you should be watching Cory Friedman's record lap instead of lowly 140hp 944s...

Round up some more Texans Russell....if any have been waiting for a reason to come, there might not be many more opportunities to run the old NPR layout.

T
Old 09-04-2009, 12:23 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do you have links to those videos? I would definitely like to see them in advance.

Yes, I'll want an instructor for as many runs as available! Don't let the car fool you, it's not that fast when I'm in it. I look great in neutral, however!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Do you have links to those videos? I would definitely like to see them in advance.

Yes, I'll want an instructor for as many runs as available! Don't let the car fool you, it's not that fast when I'm in it. I look great in neutral, however!
Here's Friedman in the Autometrics car - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYcmkakaCW0

You'll find all of Eon's vids here - http://vimeo.com/6057327

If you see a gray 944 pass or get passed.....that's me...

I'm emailing 1-2 of the instructors early for you.

T
Old 09-04-2009, 07:56 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, T. Much appreciated!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:00 AM
87_944s
Addict
Rennlist Member

As I'm sure you can tell from the first video, mine are in no way representative of a record setting lap.

Eon S.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:19 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 87_944s
As I'm sure you can tell from the first video, mine are in no way representative of a record setting lap.

Eon S.
Ha! I'll wait until I've put a few laps down before commenting on anyone else's

Looks like T4 would be one to respect (counting the left hander at the end of the barrier as T1?). It looks like it's not far enough past T3 to get any further braking done in between T3 and T4. So is T3 entry speed the key, and maintenance throttle only for the T3/T4 transition?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:32 AM
87_944s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ha! I'll wait until I've put a few laps down before commenting on anyone else's

Looks like T4 would be one to respect (counting the left hander at the end of the barrier as T1?). It looks like it's not far enough past T3 to get any further braking done in between T3 and T4. So is T3 entry speed the key, and maintenance throttle only for the T3/T4 transition?
The left-right at the end of the straight is actually just considered T1... T2-3 is the right left just before the sharp right(T4) I think you are really talking about T3 then??
Some people actually do save the braking/downshift till between T2-T3, I am just not that comfortable with it and it doesn't seem any quicker to me. I think the most time to be saved is if you can be quick through T1, T2-3, T4-5, T8-9, and T14 (quick exit leading onto the straight)

Eon S.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:07 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, then yes, I'm talking about T3. Funny, I wasn't thinking in terms of lap times, I was thinking "now where am I likely to go off if I'm not careful?"
Old 09-05-2009, 12:38 PM
951and944S
Race Car

OK, then yes, I'm talking about T3. Funny, I wasn't thinking in terms of lap times, I was thinking "now where am I likely to go off if I'm not careful?"
The fastest point on the track after you get used to it should be arrival at T2.

You'll be a bit timid through T1 at first.

The amount that you lift/brake before turning into T1 and the reluctance to get back to WOT after the second apex will greatly affect your arrival speed at T2.

There is also a hump between T1 & T2 that will sap your confidence a little at first.

Key for me at least, don't be so far over left using all the road to enter T2/3.
Your instinct might make you use too much of an arcing angle to enter T2 than is necessary and this puts you on a compromised trajectory for T3, the second part of the complex.
In race conditions, alot of passes are made between T3 & 4 or at turn-in at T4 because of this.
Think about the last 3 turns at TWS in CCW direction......you can over arc those in the same way but what really leads to faster S/F straight speeds is to just touch the curbs and straighten the turns out as much as possible.

T's 5 & 6 are basically a chicane but you want to enter early so you don't run out of road getting through T6......this avoids the bumps and and doesn't kill your arrival speed at T8 because it is a fair piece of WOT to there, being that T7 is a negligible kink.

The only place that you can really get in trouble at our track, in my opinion, is T8/9. You can also lose alot of time there being too conservative.
You don't want to lose the rear when the car is loaded just after T8 turn-in because there is an immediate transition back to the left for T9.

In this instance like T4 entry, you do want to use the full track width to set up for both T4 (momentum) and T8 (need to apex early to transition for T9 and stay out of the wide marbles).

You move from there using a WOT short straight bit, car placed wide, tires on the edge of the road to the right from unwinding T9 exit.
Entry to T10 will be from that same attitude, slightly angular toward the inside curbing..... and there is a faint, barely recognizable friendly camber that you use through T10 by keeping your left tires on/near the curb.

You can carry unexpected speed through there and I sometimes lock the unloaded inside tire at T11.

You'll need to find whatever is comfortable for your own style through T11-14 but I can tell you that between T13 and T14, you need to jab s much throttle as possible taking an unorthodox line towards T14 by getting the car as straight as possible there.

The way you exit T14 onto the straight, like any track, will reward or compromise your speed before T1.

You want to unwind the corner and not bind the car up there, carrying out to the concrete drag strip barrier and wait until the car is well and truly straightened out on the S/F straight before moving over to the extreme right to set up for the T1 entry.

T
Old 09-10-2009, 07:12 PM
4master
Advanced

T,
Where you been? I've sent you a couple of emails with no response. PM please - got a question.

4master
Old 09-11-2009, 02:51 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by 4master
T,
Where you been? I've sent you a couple of emails with no response. PM please - got a question.

4master

Hey, you could have PM'ed me through the GCRS forum...., but...anyway, I changed cable internet provider so I have a new email.

Must have not attached you to the list when I sent out an update.

Look for an incoming....and byw, meet Russell V., right here in this thread, he's coming from Texas for the DE and is green to the track but a regular TWS and surrounding tracks solo runner.

Can you possibly commit a session or two with him for me....?

New GT3 car to ride along in....

T

Quick Reply: DRIVERS EDUCATION EVENT with Mardi Gras Region PCA