Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which cellphone should I get (please read the post before responding)
iPhone
70.69%
Pre
5.17%
Android platform
3.45%
Stick with my Blackberry
20.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

OT: iPhone, Pre, Android, or stick with Blackberry?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:34 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had both: iphone is wicked cool and has great web/sms/attachment interface. BB has superior data entry, contact managment (can store lots of contacts without choking) and battery life plus lots of nifty security measures and remote kill options. I miss the iphone's media rich stuff but the BB is a better fit.

Did I mention the iphone battery s@cks
Old 08-28-2009, 06:18 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the BB world edition through verizon and for business purposes it works great. It's linked with Vodaphone in other parts of the world and I have fantastic reception in places others don't.
A fellow builder has the iphone and while it does have some nifty apps if you can't get reception it's just a paperweight.

PS. neither one works well in the pits @ VIR though :-(
Old 08-29-2009, 12:04 AM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Business = bberry. Consumerism Fun = iphone.
Although the lines are blurring quickly.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,663 Likes on 2,330 Posts

had BB and iphone
neither is perfect.
but i would take iphone and its idiosyncrasies over BB any day.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:12 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Iphone and use google docs and spreadsheets, havent used a laptop in 2 years on the road as a result.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:28 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

gave up a BB for the new iphone. Miss my bb
Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 AM
pnorwood
Rennlist Member

Its all about the Apps baby. Apple's Single-Source clearing house for purchasing all applications is brilliant.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:12 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

If what you are looking for is good email service - you can't beat the iPhone. Personally, I love it when you are out of an ATT Wi-Fi area - and it starts scouting for local usage. I feel like a thief when I know it has grabbed a local who hasn't secured their Wi-Fi...

I've had mine for a few weeks - and I love it. I was tired of Verizon - we've lost some of our areas - and now that they have Nextel with them - well, we find that abusive. So off to AT&T we went and we can now use our cell phones at home - something we haven't been able to do for a few months...
Old 08-29-2009, 12:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

My Verizon contract ends Dec 14th. I will be switching to AT&T in order to get a iPhone.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:45 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pnorwood
Its all about the Apps baby. Apple's Single-Source clearing house for purchasing all applications is brilliant.
Leading naturally to my next question: what are the best apps for the traveling DE driver or racer?
Old 08-29-2009, 03:14 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep your blackberry and get an iPhone, that's what I do. The BB's email is the best and it has a real keyboard, but their app / web browser sucks. That's where the iPhone comes in. Best web browser and app support around. Plus in a pinch you can jailbreak an iPhone and use it as a wifi modem with your laptop. Just don't go nuts an watch sligbox or download ****.

Since you mention international support. I used both 3G BB and 3G iphone in London,Paris,brussels, Japan, HK, you name it. No problems. Just make sure you get an international iPhone data plan and add the International support for the BB. If you don't travel International that much, just add it when you need it and take it off when you return. The international BB plan isn't that bad compared to the iPhone plan.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:37 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Iphone, there is no substitue....

Originally Posted by Glen
Iphone and use google docs and spreadsheets, havent used a laptop in 2 years on the road as a result.
+1 Iphone will reduce or eliminate slinging a laptop all over the place, and for files there are some great apps that will make it act like a flashdrive (get the 32Gig if you transfer files) and can upload/download to your pc if you don't have an internet connection on the road...friggin amazing... Bluetooths to the radio/phone in the Bimmer, and streams Pandora in high def...

Works in europe (watch the data roaming co$$$$t) and in chicago I could get myself the fastest way across town and knew where the nearest EL was and when the next train was comming and where to get something to eat before it got there...

...the open architecture for apps leaves everyone else behind, and for the non productive (and I do mean it wastes a crapload of time) side of things try a little app called Real Racing, online racing sim, a room full of Iphones all racing bluetooth is a pretty amazing...
Old 08-29-2009, 03:55 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

and for those nights - nothing beats Flixster for telling you where the movie theaters are to the hotel - and what movie is playing at what time. Then "Maps" it to that location. Oh wait - don't forget Yelp - for letting you know what kind of restaurants are near you are gas stations, drugstores, etc. All are free services - yelp you can download from the Apple Store - yep, free.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:01 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

iPhone. ATT service is great here in Texas. Haven't run into a deadzone yet.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:15 PM
BlackAddr
Advanced

Ahhh, this is a question I just argued with and I made my decision and there are days when I wish I would have held onto my old / New Black Berry! I have been on BB's for years, and prior to switching this last time I was on Sprint, (Great 3G service on Sprint AA++ Overall) However, I really wanted an iPhone, and Sprint would not offer me a discount on that new palm pre, so I switched.

Pros: The iPhone is a great piece of technology, so many things that you can do with it that it actually makes it a toy first and a phone last. You are almost never bored with down time with an iPhone, so many great "Apps".

Cons: The iPhone is a technological toy first and a Phone last! The reception is weak and it is almost like cell phone service was 5-8 years ago, many dead spots (This is due to ATT though not the iPhone). There are many new things to learn and the keyboard can be ok, however if you make a mistake in the middle of a paragraph and want to go back, it is kind of a pain because the way the screen is set up. Also, the screen can be a pain in the A$$ at times, it gets better with time, but it can still be a pain. And I haven't seen it, but have heard of it in the news, iPhones blowing up? Basically the screen cracking in your hands, or so I have heard, but that was in France not in the USA.

Overall: As I said the iPhone is a great technological toy and a Phone lastly. I like the iPhone, as it is great for someone like me who always need stimulation, so I have games on there, really old public domain books that are read to you (A Great App.) among other things. There are many times I miss my Black Berry, and to be honest if I had the chance to switch with no additional cost right now.........I really think I would go back to Black Berry, they have been doing what they have for a long time and I believe that they really know what they are doing!

ps. I do think it is BS that only one phone company has the contract to sell the iPhone.....ATT is weak in the 3G area, or at least they seem that way to me....Sprint was so much better with 3G, no dropped calls, always had a signal....Good service...Like I said I had to see what it was like, and when the time comes, there is a strong possibility that I may go back to my BB after this term of service is over.

Quick Reply: OT: iPhone, Pre, Android, or stick with Blackberry?