Sponsored by:

GTR vs Griggs racing Mustang at Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe: Yes, a cup car that feels it's the duty of the passing car to get around him, he doesn't like to yield any track position and he's not a fast driver (I lap him in a 10-lap race). He has fun and while he does not make it easy to pass, he's not a hazard.

Mark: I'm typically running 1:58-ish. I did a personal best of 1:56 on Sunday in qualifying. It's a lot tougher in a race after lap 4 as that's when we start to lap the 944's and they can slow you for a bit before you can get past. The car is capable of a 1:54-1:55. Depending on they day and how well I'm driving, Rich Walton is 0.5-1 sec faster driving my car (he used to be 8 seconds faster, so I'm improving).

As Mike points out, there are cars that run with PRC that are as fast as the GTR or Mustang. They are all damn fast compared to me.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:56 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I know, i used to run with PRC when it first was formed and ran in races where Lemans winner buckler came out to play with his RSR. 1:50 cars are out there, but havent been making as much of an appearance as of late. Like I said, Stefanowitz would rip off a 1:46 or something crazy . a site to see getting lapped by that monster.

Originally Posted by Tom W
Joe: Yes, a cup car that feels it's the duty of the passing car to get around him, he doesn't like to yield any track position and he's not a fast driver (I lap him in a 10-lap race). He has fun and while he does not make it easy to pass, he's not a hazard.

Mark: I'm typically running 1:58-ish. I did a personal best of 1:56 on Sunday in qualifying. It's a lot tougher in a race after lap 4 as that's when we start to lap the 944's and they can slow you for a bit before you can get past. The car is capable of a 1:54-1:55. Depending on they day and how well I'm driving, Rich Walton is 0.5-1 sec faster driving my car (he used to be 8 seconds faster, so I'm improving).

As Mike points out, there are cars that run with PRC that are as fast as the GTR or Mustang. They are all damn fast compared to me.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:59 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Wow, I have a hard time believing that, but if it is true, I would like to see where it is all hidding. certainly would explain how he got outdragged down the straight.

I have been emailing Lock, so Ill ask and see if he fesses up.

EDIT: wow, 3400lbs is the target weight with a full tank of gas and driver. pretty porkey and about 3550 now. still, 200lbs in gas, is 3400 as it comes off the track now and more like 3250 later after they replace all the doors and other steel with CF. Perfect for what they would be forced to run at in WCGT. they were thinking of running this october.

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
MK
Here is the exact quote from Brian Locks website

"The GOTO:Racing GT-R finally had its first day on track and the performance was nothing short of amazing. At a race weight of about 3650 lbs with fuel and driver, and running a R35 motor with a COBB stage 2 map and open exhaust as its only modification, the car turned a shocking 1:39.5 lap time at Infineon Raceway. "I knew the car was going to be fast," commented Brian Lock, GOTO:Racing's lead driver, "but I never imagined we would break into the 30's our first day out. When my Dad came over the radio and told me that I was running 1:40 flats in my first session not braking-in the motor, I knew this car would be everything we all hoped it woul be." ....

it still has the stock dash with ALL the computers.....that has to be heavy

Last edited by mark kibort; 08-27-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:18 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm that video reminds me of my morning commute to work.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:49 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

That GTR is impressive, especially in the corners. Great driver, but really impressed that he doesn't seem to have to wrestle with the car. Must be enjoyable.

Mark: Are you sure you raced with the PRC? We didn't start until 2002. Now I know you raced with some of us in PCA races, but not sure about running with PRC under NASA sanction.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Have to be careful comparing times between groups even when you take into account the bypass versus the cyclone.
But that's what Mark LIVES for...

...as evidenced by this thread.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:37 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the hell is it with that car? Unbelievable.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was wondering what Trefethen rolled out to run those times when classed in PRC GT5..............GTS-5, PRC GT5, what's the difference right?

In any case, 165HP and no tunnels with an OK amateur level guy and 200 lb passenger on 4 year old tires was under 1:52 a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone know Dave Strom (?) from BMW racing? He's got some sort of E46 motorsports chassis in C Mod and was consistently running 1:51-3, depending on which config they used a couple of weeks ago. Even a little ol' C Mod E30M3 wasn't more than a second a lap or so behind.

Did everyone realize the woman (Muniz's teammate) in the Atlantics was down in the 1:31 range earlier this year? Even a 5 year old DSR with tunnels is 1:36-7. (Yes, full track.)
Old 08-27-2009, 03:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Yes, Dave strom runs the bmw that matesso was battling with at laguna. it also ran in the 25hours if i remember. you can see the video of strom here, runninng in the 1:39 range at Laguna. Now, i dont know what these guys did to this car, but it is quite a bit faster now. Cmod is anything goes on any tires pretty much for that class. The e30s run in Dmod if I recall. I know these cars pretty well as my partner has had a few of them and ive been on the dynos with them as well. Some are near 260rwhp and they are 2400lb cars! (out of the stroker 2.3 liter 4 banger! ) I saw those times. they were ripping around pretty quick no doubt. From what Ive seen they just tear up the first 7 turns at that track, compared to the heavier cars, regardless of tires. very impressive.

You know this but GT5 doesnt equal GTS-5 However, I think Trefethen was classed in the GTS5 group, If I recall.
now, i suspose you are talking about formula or spec cars with the 165hp and "no tunnels". 1:52s are pretty common in our weekends for the lower powered spec cars. what weight? .

Originally Posted by race911
I was wondering what Trefethen rolled out to run those times when classed in PRC GT5..............GTS-5, PRC GT5, what's the difference right?

In any case, 165HP and no tunnels with an OK amateur level guy and 200 lb passenger on 4 year old tires was under 1:52 a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone know Dave Strom (?) from BMW racing? He's got some sort of E46 motorsports chassis in C Mod and was consistently running 1:51-3, depending on which config they used a couple of weeks ago. Even a little ol' C Mod E30M3 wasn't more than a second a lap or so behind.

Did everyone realize the woman (Muniz's teammate) in the Atlantics was down in the 1:31 range earlier this year? Even a 5 year old DSR with tunnels is 1:36-7. (Yes, full track.)
Old 08-27-2009, 03:20 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You must have forgot! I was part of the early Chariot races in the late 90s under nasa, the BMW-porsche challenge in the late 90s, and quite a few PRC races In fact, dont you remember that pic/poster we all made at the thunderhill event for PRC in 2002?

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
That GTR is impressive, especially in the corners. Great driver, but really impressed that he doesn't seem to have to wrestle with the car. Must be enjoyable.

Mark: Are you sure you raced with the PRC? We didn't start until 2002. Now I know you raced with some of us in PCA races, but not sure about running with PRC under NASA sanction.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Which one?? the mustang has a detuned nascar equiv motor, and the GTR has something that makes around 580hp.

Sick builds!! (both of them!)

mk

Originally Posted by DaveM993
What the hell is it with that car? Unbelievable.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Here is Strom at the BMW race at laguna last year in that e46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU70Y...e=channel_page
Old 08-27-2009, 07:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Tom,

Just looked at our SCCA ITE entries for Sears and it looks like Greg Ross will be joining us. (he took second in your PRC races behind Trefethen.)
That will be the best barometer for me for the day, as he ran a 1:56 with the bypass, but like you, ran even faster to run the same time with "the hill" in the PRC races which is kind of puzzling. Hard to judge how an '03 cup car will do at Sears, but I think it might have more of an advange than at Laguna or thunderhill over me. At least Ill have a few cars to chase.

Ill make a prediction, I bet he runs a 1:45 and I run 1:47 at Sears based on his time at Thunderhill.

mk

Originally Posted by Tom W

Quick Reply: GTR vs Griggs racing Mustang at Thunderhill