Sponsored by:

GTR vs Griggs racing Mustang at Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 05:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts
Default GTR vs Griggs racing Mustang at Thunderhill

This was a low key event, but it is pretty entertaining to see two WCGT type fast cars out duking it out in the middle of a NASA race. (SP vs GTS challenge, honda cup, and other slower classes)

The GTR is driven by Grand AM driver, Brian Lock, and the Griggs racing Mustang is Darrell Anderson who usually runs with us in SCCA ITE with the turbo NSX.

The porsche cup cars that they run around, are running in GTS-5

GTR is on slicks, and rumored to have about 580hp, weight unknown.
Mustang is on DOT Hoosiers, rumored to have about 650hp at 3000lbs

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/user/besquire.../1/nRzHEPeK33U

part II

http://www.youtube.com/user/besquire.../0/oo-aPY7xfns
Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now...most would say the GTR is a pig. FOCK!!! That rocketship is seriously quick. DAMN!!

C.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:25 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

If you go to the GOTO RACING site, you can see the build. what posses those to go to such extremes! Need for speed! Brand new , Rare GTR, and gut it like you would an RX7, and turn it into a race car! Wild. we now have 3 such crazy cars out runnng the local tracks. the mustang, the nsx and this GTR.

Funny thing is, it seems to be down on HP to the Mustang on the DOTs

Originally Posted by Chads996
Now...most would say the GTR is a pig. FOCK!!! That rocketship is seriously quick. DAMN!!

C.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by Chads996

C.

Well, if you yank the 427 electronic gizmos, the air conditioned cigarette lighter, and the 117-way adjustable leathe rseats, you'll get down to fighting weight.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-26-2009, 06:48 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for sharing the video. I was too caught up with the PRC race to go over to their trailers and ask questions. Both shops brought out some nice cars.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:51 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=29989

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Well, if you yank the 427 electronic gizmos, the air conditioned cigarette lighter, and the 117-way adjustable leathe rseats, you'll get down to fighting weight.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Attached Images    
Old 08-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GTR ran a 1:49.68 in the race on Saturday (the Mustang was a 1:49.63). A cup car in the race (John Trefethen) managed a 1:55 and was 3rd, 25 seconds behind after 10 laps. John managed a 1:52.6 on Sunday when it was a bit cooler and a 1:54 in our race on Saturday.

The GTR may be 'fat' but the HP still allows it to be fast. He blew by me without any problem in practice on Friday (but, hey, I'm a Turtle).
Old 08-26-2009, 07:01 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

looks like you guys were running the bypass. Still, thats only 2 seconds or so faster than with the "hill".

Looks like a good group, very similar to what we have out in our ITE races.
Ill probably have to hit a few of them next season with you guys and NASA.

mk

Originally Posted by Tom W
The GTR ran a 1:49.68 in the race on Saturday (the Mustang was a 1:49.63). A cup car in the race (John Trefethen) managed a 1:55 and was 3rd, 25 seconds behind after 10 laps. John managed a 1:52.6 on Sunday when it was a bit cooler and a 1:54 in our race on Saturday.

The GTR may be 'fat' but the HP still allows it to be fast. He blew by me without any problem in practice on Friday (but, hey, I'm a Turtle).
Old 08-26-2009, 07:23 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I can tell you that these GTRs are going to be around for a while and doing some impressive things once they're setup properly. eg KW Germany have bought one of these cars and are developing a new suspension setup for them. They think there is a LOT of potential in these cars and so do many other companies. Scary how much faster they are than a Cup Car! I've been on track with a few stock cars and they're quick enough. Stripped and setup, they will be lightning.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

NASA GTS ran/runs the bypass. PRC runs over the top of 5. Lap times for the weekend's races are now up on mylaps.com here (Group "G" is NASA GTS and group "D" is PRC).
Old 08-26-2009, 07:51 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

So did NASA change the track configuration for your group D PRC race?
those times look a little fast for over the top of turn 5 "the hill".

I saw Trefethen's time of 1:53.622 for Sundays PRC race. wow! on slicks I imagine.
(and 1:52.6 in qual for PRC) WOW, what got into him?
Is that the '08 cup car?

NASA GTS ran/runs the bypass. PRC runs over the top of 5. Lap times for the weekend's races are now up on mylaps.com here (Group "G" is NASA GTS and group "D" is PRC).
Old 08-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

NASA does nothing other than to occasionally remind people what configuration is to be run. It's usually a problem for PRC people racing in GTS as they space out and forget to use the bypass and go over the top. It's not really a problem. But, yes, rest assured the PRC times are for going over the top.

I'm not sure what year cup John has. I believe his son was there running an a different car too.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:16 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

john has 03 cup
Old 08-26-2009, 08:41 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

even more impressive. so, you are saying he could have kepted up with the mustang and GTR on sunday? 1:52 is smokin fast and near the best that the mustang has run with the hill (1:51.xx in our last race there) I guess that makes sense since these guys run 1:30s at laguan and a well driven cup car runs in the 1:32s at Laguna. (I dont know about the '03s, that is pretty impressive if it is a stock '03 cup)

anyway, interesting that they ran the "hill" for the D group (PRC) and then no hill for the AG group (SP plus the rest). I guess if you see a cone barrier, you dont go that way.

mk

NASA does nothing other than to occasionally remind people what configuration is to be run. It's usually a problem for PRC people racing in GTS as they space out and forget to use the bypass and go over the top. It's not really a problem. But, yes, rest assured the PRC times are for going over the top.

I'm not sure what year cup John has. I believe his son was there running an a different car too.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts

Have to be careful comparing times between groups even when you take into account the bypass versus the cyclone. Different Porsche factory cars have different capabilities, and then there are the pilots...

I think you can expect to see the fastest active PRC cars between 1:47 and 1:51 with the cyclone on a good weekend if everyone shows up, and with good tires. And if it isn't too hot. I'd guess that air cooled cars might loose a little more bhp with heat than water cooled, but that is just a guess.

In any case, anything around 1:50 in a more or less full-sized, street car-based race car is plenty fast enough to be thrilling.

Quick Reply: GTR vs Griggs racing Mustang at Thunderhill