Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by jperquin
Thanks karlooz.

Now I guess that my WTB has turned into WHERE to buy. Any recommendations for online retailers that sell this stuff? I looked quite a bit without much success.

JP
if you click on karlooz' link, it will lead you to CDOC. we bought from there. the link only shows the stud, you need to buy the nut as well. call CDOC they will walk you thru
Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
I have a few sets of wheels, among them BBS and CCW. They require different length studs. Even the longest sold by Bildon BARELY fit the BBSs. The high temp red locktite is not enough alone to hold them without some torquing. If I really tighten them, the longest Bildon studs are not long enough. If I use the ones pictured above, the unthreaded portion does not allow me to tighten the CCWs.
with CCW, you want the shortest stud 65mm pictured above.
but BBS is totally different. the center is "thicker" thus needing much longer studs.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Clean the threads good and use red loctite. If you do this properly you should only need to go hand tight with a ratchet. If you tighten too much, you'll just bury the shank of the stud in your hub.
Thanks, man! I got the ones from Rennline, installed with red locktite, tightened to 30 lbs torque.
Hope my wheels don't fall off!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of the 65 mm BBS studs that I will sell for $100 plus shipping.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:02 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

bit of a thread revival... but at least I searched before posting

So I am thinking a stud conversion is long overdue... off to rennlist to search...

A lot CDOC links posted that are all dead... their website is not easy to negotiate... catalog request made...

I see a post from AllanJ who I know is a smart guy that does his homework and from Porsche 917K about Bildon which basically lead me to the same apex competition/track-studs.com website...

So... I like the version they call "pro series ACS bull nose studs" and the "60 degree conical nuts" (http://www.track-studs.com/productinfo/)

of course I read that different wheels need different length studs etc.. and I guess you could say that I have different sets of wheels (long story and if I did it over, I would settle on one type and buy multiple sets... but today that is not the position I am in.)

I have the following:
BBS E88
Jongbloed 550
CCW C10
996 GT3 Stock rims

I read that BBS requires longer studs... Chuck P mentioned that even the longest ones sold by Bildon are not sufficient for his bbs... I am not sure we are talking the same BBS or even the same studs...

I would like to run the appropriate length to get "full engagement" but not have a lot of "extra stud" sticking out...

Now I have also read in other threads that you should run the actual BBS studs with BBS wheels... BUT if the factory bolts work in all the wheels, I do not see why whatever stud kit with conical nuts will not work in the same manner...

So... to make a long post short... given the wheel listed above (although I think the BBS are the only potential issue) what length ACS bull nose Pro Series stud will cover all my bases and not give my car the "death race 2000" look with a lot of extra stud sticking out?

As always -- thank you in advance for your help...
Old 12-30-2009, 02:45 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
bit of a thread revival... but at least I searched before posting

So I am thinking a stud conversion is long overdue... off to rennlist to search...

A lot CDOC links posted that are all dead... their website is not easy to negotiate... catalog request made...

I see a post from AllanJ who I know is a smart guy that does his homework and from Porsche 917K about Bildon which basically lead me to the same apex competition/track-studs.com website...

So... I like the version they call "pro series ACS bull nose studs" and the "60 degree conical nuts" (http://www.track-studs.com/productinfo/)

of course I read that different wheels need different length studs etc.. and I guess you could say that I have different sets of wheels (long story and if I did it over, I would settle on one type and buy multiple sets... but today that is not the position I am in.)

I have the following:
BBS E88
Jongbloed 550
CCW C10
996 GT3 Stock rims

I read that BBS requires longer studs... Chuck P mentioned that even the longest ones sold by Bildon are not sufficient for his bbs... I am not sure we are talking the same BBS or even the same studs...

I would like to run the appropriate length to get "full engagement" but not have a lot of "extra stud" sticking out...

Now I have also read in other threads that you should run the actual BBS studs with BBS wheels... BUT if the factory bolts work in all the wheels, I do not see why whatever stud kit with conical nuts will not work in the same manner...

So... to make a long post short... given the wheel listed above (although I think the BBS are the only potential issue) what length ACS bull nose Pro Series stud will cover all my bases and not give my car the "death race 2000" look with a lot of extra stud sticking out?

As always -- thank you in advance for your help...
PJ - This is a bit difficult because all of the stud companies measure their studs differently. Some measure the entire length, others only measure the useable thread and they aren't very clear on how they measure.

I first used Bildons then switched to H&R when I got my E88's. I like the H&R's best because they have a length that will barely work with BBS's which would likely require the longest studs of all your wheels. H&R's also have an allen head tip which makes them easy to tighten down.

Hand tighten with red loctite and check that they are tight each track day.

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2009, 02:50 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

^ good on you Josh!!!!
I will look into those

I also sent an email to the track-studs.com guys with basically the same question... so we will see what they say too

thanks!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:00 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't remember what length worked best on the H&R's but you can measure pretty easily. 55MM I think. Plus I think H&R is local to you, no?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

that would be news to me
Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I too run different rims including BBS, CCW's, and 02' 5 spokes. I bought the longest studs we could find, I think 80mm, and yea they stick out a bit (think Ben Hur), but I can mount any rim and spacer with thread to spare....
Old 12-30-2009, 09:05 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I removed the Bildon ones, and just put in the 80mm Apex studs. Surprisingly, one of the Bildon ones broke, and I had to extract the broken piece from the wheel carrier.
This weekend, I'll post pictures of the BBS E88, which should just about allow coverage of the lugnuts, and CCW, which will protrude quite a bit. I don't mind the look, because I mostly track the car, and when on the street, they have a "purposeful" look...Apex got the studs to me about 5 min after I ordered them...Great service. They went in very easily with an allen key.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:53 AM
manalex
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
+1 for these guys.

Also, if you're using aftermarket wheels and/or spacers the length requirements can vary significantly, even front to rear. You can even go too long. I had to test fit three or four different lengths before we settled on the correct one.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

slightly OT but does anyone use the "ball seat" lugnuts with aftermarket wheels or are we supposed to use the "conical" shaped ones???
Old 12-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bgiere
slightly OT but does anyone use the "ball seat" lugnuts with aftermarket wheels or are we supposed to use the "conical" shaped ones???
Most Porsche specific wheels are machined for ball seat nuts. Most other wheels are conical (tapered seat). The difference is very obvious, so no chance of making a mistake.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:38 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

had my shop order some ball seat nuts -- http://www.track-studs.com/productinfo/

and these studs, I like the bullet tip ones but they only offer 10 mm of "depth" into the hub which my tech said was not enough... the ones I ordered have 15 mm of "depth" -- http://www.race-studs.com/servlet/th...ce-Stud/Detail

hopefully this will be the ticket...

Quick Reply: WTB 996 wheel stud conversion