Sponsored by:

MOTON CLUBSPORTS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:15 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Default MOTON CLUBSPORTS?

Just wondering who has used them and what your impressions have been? Easy to setup? The remotes have bump, but not rebound so any issues with that?
Anything to suggest that these require more servicing, or difficulty in setting up.
Whatever you'd like to say in general.
thanks
Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best entry level remote reservoir shocks you can get IMHO. Compression is on the canister, rebound is at the top of the shock rod. They seem to last a long time before servicing too. As far as setup goes, adjusting shocks is a learned art. Some can learn how to do it, more cannot. There are guidelines, but to get it right you need to be very sensitive to what the car is doing.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:08 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Just wondering who has used them and what your impressions have been? Easy to setup? The remotes have bump, but not rebound so any issues with that?
Anything to suggest that these require more servicing, or difficulty in setting up.
Whatever you'd like to say in general.
thanks
huh? your clubsports are not double adjustable? never heard of that before. mine have compression and rebound just as how larry describes it.

easy to adjust, yes but easy to set up.....all depends on you. you'll need to know what to tune into/out of your ride and how to tune it. setups are closely guarded.

how easily you notice any change will depend on your ***. for me it takes 2 clicks at a time to notice a change. test test test. start at one extreme, like maximum compression, minimum rebound dampening then go from there. change one thing at a time or else you will be chasing your tail.

i haven't serviced mine since buying them used, ~3 years ago.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:06 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Best entry level remote reservoir shocks you can get IMHO. Compression is on the canister, rebound is at the top of the shock rod. They seem to last a long time before servicing too. As far as setup goes, adjusting shocks is a learned art. Some can learn how to do it, more cannot. There are guidelines, but to get it right you need to be very sensitive to what the car is doing.
Ok, sounds good Larry. Yep the setting up of any shock is something one needs to apply time and money to.

Originally Posted by karlooz
huh? your clubsports are not double adjustable? never heard of that before. mine have compression and rebound just as how larry describes it.

easy to adjust, yes but easy to set up.....all depends on you. you'll need to know what to tune into/out of your ride and how to tune it. setups are closely guarded.

how easily you notice any change will depend on your ***. for me it takes 2 clicks at a time to notice a change. test test test. start at one extreme, like maximum compression, minimum rebound dampening then go from there. change one thing at a time or else you will be chasing your tail.

i haven't serviced mine since buying them used, ~3 years ago.
No, what I meant was that the remote only covers bump. The problem with
rebound being at the top of the shock is access, but we're thinking we might be able to cut a hole in the bodywork to get to this.
That's good advice re the testing to extremes as well.

These struts are Duo, not Monotube yes?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, sounds good Larry. Yep the setting up of any shock is something one needs to apply time and money to.

No, what I meant was that the remote only covers bump. The problem with
rebound being at the top of the shock is access, but we're thinking we might be able to cut a hole in the bodywork to get to this.
That's good advice re the testing to extremes as well.

These struts are Duo, not Monotube yes?
oh i understand now. it would be nice if the remote had both compression and rebound adjustments
Old 08-06-2009, 01:40 AM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

No, what I meant was that the remote only covers bump. The problem with rebound being at the top of the shock is access, but we're thinking we might be able to cut a hole in the bodywork to get to this.
The rears are run inverted on a 944 so the rebound adjustment is just above the lower shock mount. Not too hard to get to.

I've been happy with mine. I wouldn't fret the tuning, you'll pretty easily find the ballpark. Determining between better and best is the tricky part.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:19 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Yeah I would think the inverted monotube design would allow for bottom adjustment as it being at the top would be a huge PITB!!!!!!!!! Even the cheap coilovers have that, wouldn't expect less from Moton. All you do is lay down and turn CW or CCW.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:44 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Oh, OK, that's good news. I should have remembered to ask you directly Eric. My KWs have the shock mounted in an upright (top to bottom) position so that means that you can't get to the rebound without dropping the shocks out. Not something you can really do so easily as opposed to mounting them inverted. So this is 100% the case with the Motons that the rebound adj **** is accessed at the lower side? Cool.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:31 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the Moton Clubsports. No problems, very consistent and easy to adjust.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 on mine as well. They came with the car, and I set to the basic range Moton suggested. I couldn't be happier with them.
Confirming VR's comments, mine too rarely if ever have needed nitrogen replenished.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

I will add to the endorsements. And I give many thanks to Larry Herman, who helped me understand what subtle things to look for in car behavior to see whether the adjustments I make are for the bettter or worse.

These things are awesome, and so is the car, now that I have it all figured out. I check N pressures before each event, but have had to add N only twice in over 2 years.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

They do need to be rebuilt more frequently than most do. The recommended rebuild is about 30 hours. I can tell you that at 100 hours the shock oil is toast, the shim stack has weakened, and the o-rings may begin to leak internally, espeically between the nitrogen part and the shock oil.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dumb noob question. My tech is about to install my set of Clubsports and I'm wondering, since my set came in a box with the cannisters disconnected from the shocks, do the larger cannisters go with the front shocks or rear shocks? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:11 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Can someone illuminate me on how you adj the rear rebound? From what I see the rears are setup inverted but I can't figure out from the pics how you adj them even though you can clearly see an arrow.
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2009, 08:13 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a slot above the bolt that exposes the mechanisim. Moton provides a tool to insert for adjustment.

Quick Reply: MOTON CLUBSPORTS?