Sponsored by:

Corvette ZR1 GT2 on the cover of Autoweek

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Bryan, forget about the GT1 or GT2 motors. What kind of motor are you running? I saw your best lap times from the last club race published in the Roundel. Your clear of the other cars by a wide margin.
Just a S54 with a slight compression bump, stock head, headers, and intake. Less than some of the other cars in class are running. Not even a set of cams. They are underrated from the factory at 333 to start with, but the head flows so well, that it responds quite a bit to intake, headers, and tuning.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:57 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bryan,

Don't waste your key strokes with Wanna911 (AKA Dez). He throws **** at the wall to see what sticks.

I'm not a Corvette guy, never owned one, but respect them and would fear them if I was racing against them. THe P&M guys along with the factory are all top notch and will be up front. LET ME DEFINE "UP FRONT" FOR DEZ WHO CAN'T FIND HIS *** FROM A HOLE IN THE WALL. ON podium and winning means up front. I'll get a dictionary definition if you can't understand that.

An on what planet was GT2 close to the GT1 cars? On certain tracks was your quote. Please explain "close" DUring the warm up laps, yellow flag laps? The GT1 cars are so much more superior and faster in everyway. Whatever, Dez, everytime you post something, you reinforce to everyone that your a complete jackass and don't know **** about anything.

Bryan, forget about the GT1 or GT2 motors. What kind of motor are you running? I saw your best lap times from the last club race published in the Roundel. Your clear of the other cars by a wide margin.

Wow, for someone who was claiming to be easy, you sure blew a fuse really quick. Bad day at the office? And for what it's worth I have OWNED a Corvette. So shut-up talking as if I have some superiority complex or something. Boy are you Dense.

Mind you these are heavier, much less powerful car with smaller brakes and less aero, yet still only a little over 2 seconds slower at HIGH SPEED TRACKS!!!!

Road Atlanta

GT1: # 3 Johnny O’Connell Lap # 6 1:16.542 119.464 mph Rec
GT2: #62 Jamie Melo Lap # 7 1:19.399 115.165 mph Rec

(2.857)

St. Pete

GT1: # 4 Olivier Beretta Lap # 4 1:09.727 92.934 mph
GT2: #45 Wolf Henzler Lap # 3 1:11.745 90.320 mph Rec

(2.018)

Lime Rock

GT1: # 4 Oliver Gavin Lap # 7 52.792 102.288 mph Rec
GT2: #87 Dick Werner Lap # 10 54.154 99.716 mph Rec

(1.362)

Mid-Ohio

GT1: # 3 Johnny O’Connell Lap # 3 1:17.900 104.349 mph
GT2: #62 Jaime Melo Lap # 8 1:20.025 101.578 mph

(2.125)

Detroit

GT1: # 3 Jan Magnussen Lap # 8 1:24.477 88.213 mph
GT2: #45 Wolf Henzler Lap # 8 1:24.941 87.731 mph

(.464)

Leguna Seca

GT1: # 3 Jan Magnussen Lap # 2 1:19.291 101.611 mph Rec
GT2: #87 Dirk Werner Lap # 3 1:22.060 98.182 mph Rec

(2.769)

I think we've all seen the Corvettes driving around the GT2 cars at will, so it's reasonable to consider that they were pulling a large amount of time on straights, which are plentiful in North America. Add to that less weight and bigger brakes, and that time gets extended in the braking zones. Rinse repeat 2-3 times a lap and you get the idea.

Pete, I understand you are upset, but until your knowledge level catches up to your emotions, you get nothing from me. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Last edited by wanna911; 08-06-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:05 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
From Autoweek:
To comply fully with GT2 rules next year—sporting authorities granted the team an exception allowing the 6.0-liter engine for this season's five races—the team will use a 5.5-liter production-based small-block V8. Horsepower and torque are yet to be determined. Both engines continue to be powered by E85R ethanol racing fuel.

I'm pretty sure that 5.5 is the cutoff for GT2...can't imagine why Corvette would say they are working on a 5.5 liter in their press release if they intended to go back to GT1 next season.
FYI there are cars racing in Europe right now under revised GT1 rules with 5.5 liter engines. The GT-R is 5.5x L and racing under 2010 GT1 specs so you cannot reasonable draw the conclusion that just because the engine will be 5.5 that it was targeted for any particular class.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

So your assessment of laptimes from last season alone is that the Corvette drivers suck? Surely it has nothing to do with Corvette slowing development of their cars and holding back on their aggressiveness due to a lack of competition, while GT2 competition has been intense, resulting in leaps in speed/development?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by wanna911
FYI there are cars racing in Europe right now under revised GT1 rules with 5.5 liter engines. The GT-R is 5.5x L and racing under 2010 GT1 specs so you cannot reasonable draw the conclusion that just because the engine will be 5.5 that it was targeted for any particular class.
Sure, but on cars that have smaller motors from the factory. Why would Corvette purposefully develop a smaller motor than they offer in the car from the factory if not for a set of rules that required them to do so?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Hey, Pete...lighten up. Geezus.....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-06-2009, 12:13 AM
wanna911
Race Car

So your assessment of laptimes from last season alone is that the Corvette drivers suck? Surely it has nothing to do with Corvette slowing development of their cars and holding back on their aggressiveness due to a lack of competition, while GT2 competition has been intense, resulting in leaps in speed/development?

My goodness man, jump to conclusions often? Who said the drivers suck? Or anything remotely close to it?

There is no need in continuing if you are going to get hurt feelings and therefore over exaggerate x 10. It's just an opinion, and like I said in my post, we will see shortly how accurate it is.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

My goodness man, jump to conclusions often? Who said the drivers suck? Or anything remotely close to it?

There is no need in continuing if you are going to get hurt feelings and therefore over exaggerate x 10.
You stated that you didn't think they could be competitive in GT2. That sounds like sucking to me. Hardly a 10x over exaggeration. Just calling you out to find out why you think the Vette drivers are so bad that they can't compete in GT2.

No hurt feelings here. You seem to be the one with your panties in a wad. Someone disagrees with you and you assume they have hurt feelings?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:24 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,380 Likes on 2,004 Posts

Dez, you implied they sucked because they were too old. Backpedal much?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:28 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,380 Likes on 2,004 Posts

Just a S54 with a slight compression bump, stock head, headers, and intake. Less than some of the other cars in class are running. Not even a set of cams. They are underrated from the factory at 333 to start with, but the head flows so well, that it responds quite a bit to intake, headers, and tuning.
Was the rest of the field too old? Maybe they had no competition.

The lap times Dez posted pretty much reveal that a GT1 car and GT2 are not in the same ballpark. Detroit is an autocross track and of course the laps will be close. Maybe that is what Dez was thinking, but 3 seconds at Laguna is a life time as well as some of the other track. I'm surprised the gap at St. Petersburg is that wide too.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:50 AM
wanna911
Race Car

You stated that you didn't think they could be competitive in GT2. That sounds like sucking to me. Hardly a 10x over exaggeration. Just calling you out to find out why you think the Vette drivers are so bad that they can't compete in GT2.

No hurt feelings here. You seem to be the one with your panties in a wad. Someone disagrees with you and you assume they have hurt feelings?
No, it's just that people (namely women if you've ever had dealings with them, assuming you're not one) tend to get over sensitive when their feelings are hurt. Then everything you say get's blown out of proportion. No hurt feelings here.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:55 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Was the rest of the field too old? Maybe they had no competition.

The lap times Dez posted pretty much reveal that a GT1 car and GT2 are not in the same ballpark. Detroit is an autocross track and of course the laps will be close. Maybe that is what Dez was thinking, but 3 seconds at Laguna is a life time as well as some of the other track. I'm surprised the gap at St. Petersburg is that wide too.

LOL a life time? When you have:

~200 more hp
~2x as much torque
Bigger tires
Bigger brakes
less weight
and more DF

as all the fastest cars in GT2?

2.7 seconds is an eternity IN THE SAME CLASS!!!!!! Hardly with all those advantages. You can easily see 1.5-2 seconds in the top 5 cars in THE VERY SAME CLASS. Going from one class to another that is not a lifetime. But I should expect such ignorance from you.

What are you smoking boy? Take all that away and your 2 seconds is gone and some!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:39 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Unrestricted, we have seen the RSRs from a few years ago, run 440rwhp on the dyno. I have to imagine that over the last 5 years, that the RSRs are making what the older cars were making, even restricted. lap times at laguna have gone from 1:26 down to 1:22, much of which would be HP related I would imagine.

The torque, as we have discussed, ONLY would broaden the HP curve of the vet, which is what the close ratio RSR gear box does for the higher reving, peakier hp engines. remember, it has to do with how much power you put down at any given speed.

So, i guess (and this is a guess) if the restricted RSR is lowered to 410rwhp, at 2700lbs, the 2900lb vet will have to be around 440rwhp just to have the same acceleration. (520flywheel hp) 200lbs will give the a little bit of an edge with braking and cornering, unless the wider tires and down force package is better with the vet.

Bryan is right, much of the published HP ratings are just marketing. they are well off reality.

The RSR is limited to 450-465 hp and is also 2700 lbs. And they are winning.

The Corvette's have monsterous torque, 535 ft lbs to be exact, they will be just fine.

But this will bring to light another thread to die a slow and horrible death, hp, or revs? I vote for revs. Torque is good exiting corners but revs reign on the top end. By the time you get to the braking zone it's a wash. Since these car get passed, and don't do much passing, they don't have to worry as much about slower traffic slowing their runs.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:42 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I remember sofros Grand am GS S54 making 325rwhp with the PTG intake plennum, and tuning with less a header, if I remember correctly (and 315rwhp when they were told to go back to stock intake) You seem to be making more than that. Is it due from something else?

Old 08-06-2009, 01:52 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I dont know if the 5.5 is the cut off for GT2

Did you forget there is a viper running in GT2? I think its near 8.3 liters!

I think the main reason that they are going to the 5.5 liter engine, is that the 6 liter, made from the 7 liter (like what was used in the caddies in WCGT), might be too powerful. Not sure.

Lots of exeptions. who knows the method of their madness when it comes to the rules. Im still tryng to figure out why the GT2 viper runs 4 seconds faster than the WCGT viper, with the only major mod being slicks vs DOTs and possibly a header. (and maybe removed restritor) anyone know???

why do the ALMS GT2 porsche RSRs run a full 10 seconds faster than WCGT with near the same driver in their race?
Laguna 1:22 porsche GT3RSR ALMS (Dirk Werner)
Laguna 1:32 porsche GT3 WCCT (Henzler)

From Autoweek:
To comply fully with GT2 rules next year—sporting authorities granted the team an exception allowing the 6.0-liter engine for this season's five races—the team will use a 5.5-liter production-based small-block V8. Horsepower and torque are yet to be determined. Both engines continue to be powered by E85R ethanol racing fuel.

I'm pretty sure that 5.5 is the cutoff for GT2...can't imagine why Corvette would say they are working on a 5.5 liter in their press release if they intended to go back to GT1 next season.

Quick Reply: Corvette ZR1 GT2 on the cover of Autoweek