Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
BRUHAAHAAA....

Gotta be confusing to Kibort.

The Vette's got...

Both horsepower & torque !!!

yes, the 928 has lots of torque too.

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Please Mark. Seriously. Whats with the evangelism? I have owned 6 over a 9 year period. I love them - but most do not. Constantly evangelizing about them is embarrassing, here on this site, to the owners who mostly keep to themselves.

The corvette of today and even C5 is so far past what the 928 is able to do in most cases without spending enough to buy a C6, its not worth mentioning. The motor you are talking a about, to do properly, with one's own money, is about 15k. Add that to a nice S4 and you get 30k. Add in all the other stuff you need to get to corvette handling numbers, and you are at 40k. For 40 k I could buy a Z06 (C5 at least, possibly a higher mile C6Z) and add a few power adders, better brakes, etc. No contest.

Be realistic. Nobody gives a ****.

I have one nearly done, and another car body that I may just not use. It just too much of a good idea to move to Corvettes as a platform for fun.
Well, the response was to someone wanting a V8, and porsche already has a platfom that is pretty good for racin with one. Now, dont give me the C5 vet is the same cost and faster story, because that just aint true. C5s are great cars, 928s can be made as fast or faster for less. Look at anderson with his monster winning most of the PCA races he enters. try and build a vet that can hang. It will be WCGT, and it will cost a lot more than a stroker and an intake. . Having raced with many C5s in the past, you dont get the super performance until you have one of those k-tech engines. well, C6s are a no brainer if you can find a way to cage it.

Originally Posted by jaholmes
And I bet it still handles like a 928.
you know, that is a problem, but there are some tracks and turns where it shines!

Originally Posted by JClark
Are you always on?
Yes, always!

Last edited by mark kibort; 08-05-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:23 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ewe, off topic, this is about Corvette's in GT2 which is going to add more spice to an already super field. I can't wait to see how they do. Ron Fellows or somebody was talking smack about beating up on the Porsche's, let's see if they can back it up. I personally think the Corvette drivers are too old and have been racing only each other for too long. They need some young talent in there to compete in GT2 which wasn't much slower than them in the GT1 cars at many tracks.

Overall I'm just excited to see how the class shakes out. BMW hasn't found it's stride just yet, but few teams are a direct factory owned team like Corvette Racing, so I expect more of them out of the gate.

One things for sure, we'll know in a couple of days.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:16 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

120 less HP....200 MORE lbs.....thats NEVER a good combo for a race car.... So 470HP in a 2740lb package is supposed to compete against the new E92 M3 with 470 in 2530lbs.....how is that gonna be fair?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
120 less HP....200 MORE lbs.....thats NEVER a good combo for a race car.... So 470HP in a 2740lb package is supposed to compete against the new E92 M3 with 470 in 2530lbs.....how is that gonna be fair?
Hard to know what these cars actually weight and what their power numbers actually are. Only ALMS and the teams really know. Corvette wouldn't purposefully build an uncompetitive car and they have plenty of pull with ALMS to make sure the rules allow them to compete. The numbers you see thrown around are just for marketing. Rules and restrictor sizes are adjusted as the season goes on to level the playing field.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:30 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by IcemanG17

The RSR is limited to 450-465 hp and is also 2700 lbs. And they are winning.

The Corvette's have monsterous torque, 535 ft lbs to be exact, they will be just fine.

But this will bring to light another thread to die a slow and horrible death, hp, or revs? I vote for revs. Torque is good exiting corners but revs reign on the top end. By the time you get to the braking zone it's a wash. Since these car get passed, and don't do much passing, they don't have to worry as much about slower traffic slowing their runs.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Ewe, off topic, this is about Corvette's in GT2 which is going to add more spice to an already super field. I can't wait to see how they do. Ron Fellows or somebody was talking smack about beating up on the Porsche's, let's see if they can back it up. I personally think the Corvette drivers are too old and have been racing only each other for too long. They need some young talent in there to compete in GT2 which wasn't much slower than them in the GT1 cars at many tracks.

Overall I'm just excited to see how the class shakes out. BMW hasn't found it's stride just yet, but few teams are a direct factory owned team like Corvette Racing, so I expect more of them out of the gate.

One things for sure, we'll know in a couple of days.
Wow, in addition to your lack of F1 knowledge, your sportscar racing knowledge is equally as abysmal. Congrats on being 2 for 2. Once the teething problems are worked out Ron Fellows and the Corvette team will be up front. Why do people underestimate experienced racers with vast knowledge of the sport? Maybe it's a fitness thing?

Take it easy Dez. Just trying to get a reaction. Have a good day.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Ron Fellows or somebody was talking smack about beating up on the Porsche's, let's see if they can back it up. I personally think the Corvette drivers are too old and have been racing only each other for too long. They need some young talent in there to compete in GT2 which wasn't much slower than them in the GT1 cars at many tracks.
The Corvette drivers are some of the best in the field, no matter what class you are talking about.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:46 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Based on what? They haven't raced anyone in years. And I haven't seen their names anywhere else.

Originally Posted by Pete
Wow, in addition to your lack of F1 knowledge, your sportscar racing knowledge is equally as abysmal. Congrats on being 2 for 2. Once the teething problems are worked out Ron Fellows and the Corvette team will be up front. Why do people underestimate experienced racers with vast knowledge of the sport? Maybe it's a fitness thing?

Take it easy Dez. Just trying to get a reaction. Have a good day.
LOL.

So what do you mean up front? Your definitions seem to transgress the English language a tad.

Interesting fact (since that is your least favorite ideal): Corvette is going to the revised GT1 category next year, that doesn't leave them much time for teething.

How's that for knowledge?

Easily taken.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Based on what? They haven't raced anyone in years. And I haven't seen their names anywhere else.
These guys are some of the best of the best and they've been racing each other in equally prepped cars.

Interesting fact (since that is your least favorite ideal): Corvette is going to the revised GT1 category next year, that doesn't leave them much time for teething.
Every thing I've read says that Corvette is prepping a new motor for GT2 next year. You are saying that they are returning to GT1?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

They need some young talent in there to compete in GT2 which wasn't much slower than them in the GT1 cars at many tracks.
At what tracks were GT2 cars anywhere near GT1 cars?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:27 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Every thing I've read says that Corvette is prepping a new motor for GT2 next year. You are saying that they are returning to GT1?
The lines are becoming rather blurry, the initial report was that the Corvette would go into GT2 for the remainder of this year and then a the same chassis used for the revised GT1 category next year. Some people are now reporting that there will only be one GT class next year, however FIA in Europe still contends there will be an actual GT1 class (there are already cars racing in Europe with these specs) which if the case is I'm sure what Corvette was planning on doing, at least what was said.

GT1 was originally supposed to be more production based than it is now, and that was what Corvette was planning for but I'm assuming the GT1 class will only race in Europe since they actually have participation there and ALMS will go to one class here.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:28 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bryan,

Don't waste your key strokes with Wanna911 (AKA Dez). He throws **** at the wall to see what sticks.

I'm not a Corvette guy, never owned one, but respect them and would fear them if I was racing against them. THe P&M guys along with the factory are all top notch and will be up front. LET ME DEFINE "UP FRONT" FOR DEZ WHO CAN'T FIND HIS *** FROM A HOLE IN THE WALL. ON podium and winning means up front. I'll get a dictionary definition if you can't understand that.

An on what planet was GT2 close to the GT1 cars? On certain tracks was your quote. Please explain "close" DUring the warm up laps, yellow flag laps? The GT1 cars are so much more superior and faster in everyway. Whatever, Dez, everytime you post something, you reinforce to everyone that your a complete jackass and don't know **** about anything.

Bryan, forget about the GT1 or GT2 motors. What kind of motor are you running? I saw your best lap times from the last club race published in the Roundel. Your clear of the other cars by a wide margin.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

but I'm ***uming.
blah, blah, blah ASSuming.

Weed through the bull**** and you'll find your answer with Dez, AKA Wanna911, AKA HeavyChevy...
Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
You can go porsche and get a V8 with th 928, and get 600hp with only a stroker motor with cams and intake mod.
Oh, good grief.

Give it a rest....PLEASE.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

The lines are becoming rather blurry, the initial report was that the Corvette would go into GT2 for the remainder of this year and then a the same chassis used for the revised GT1 category next year. Some people are now reporting that there will only be one GT class next year, however FIA in Europe still contends there will be an actual GT1 class (there are already cars racing in Europe with these specs) which if the case is I'm sure what Corvette was planning on doing, at least what was said.
From Autoweek:
To comply fully with GT2 rules next year—sporting authorities granted the team an exception allowing the 6.0-liter engine for this season's five races—the team will use a 5.5-liter production-based small-block V8. Horsepower and torque are yet to be determined. Both engines continue to be powered by E85R ethanol racing fuel.

I'm pretty sure that 5.5 is the cutoff for GT2...can't imagine why Corvette would say they are working on a 5.5 liter in their press release if they intended to go back to GT1 next season.

Quick Reply: Corvette ZR1 GT2 on the cover of Autoweek