Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:59 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nah,,,,that motor is a work of art. Hopefully it is in the hands of an excellent drover who knows how to utilize its torque!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Torque is cheep.
Now if they only made some monster CVT that is race-able.

"How many gears does your car have?"
"All of them."

Did I say I really liked seeing all those gallons of fuel atomize and get swirl sucked into the intake valves.
Tho putting some fine mesh on top of the trumpets would make it much less scary to watch. All it takes is one errant piece of something falling out of someone's pocket to end the day.

Wonder how long those old race motors lasted with just a fine screen mesh over the intake trumpets.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928
Torque is cheep.

"All of them."

Did I say I really liked seeing all those gallons of fuel atomize and get swirl sucked into the intake valves.
Tho putting some fine mesh on top of the trumpets would make it much less scary to watch. All it takes is one errant piece of something falling out of someone's pocket to end the day.

Wonder how long those old race motors lasted with just a fine screen mesh over the intake trumpets.
How many gears does your car have?
One....

Agreed about the mesh. Actually, I was also somewhat suurprised that they shut it off from redline, rather thhan let it run down to idle & then shut it off.

Abby, come on, lighten up.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually, I was also somewhat suurprised that they shut it off from redline, rather thhan let it run down to idle & then shut it off.
A bit OT, but in karting, especially with aircooled engines, the driver was asked to always do a "hot cut" (cutting the engine off at WOT on the longest straight and then coast into the pits...of course raising their right hand to let other drivers behind them know) in order to let the tuner get a good plug reading on entry to the hot pits.
Without doing so, the plug reading was always questionable, especially on water cooled engines.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:40 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Torque is cheep.

"All of them."

CVTs, would alow the motor to ONLY operate at max HP, not max torque for max acceleration at any point on the track.
Is torque cheap? Thats bigger displacement usually, while hp is cams, intake, and heads, so I guess you are right.

"all of them". ..............funny. Actually, for VR's info, we have similar gear spacing to the NSX turbo. On the race track, its a 3 speed. .
As far as the mesh goes, yep, that is scary. you should see how much "stuff" I dump out of my kn air filter after each session. sometimes , its a pile of sand like at laguna!

That engine is a thing of beauty. Funny that with a restrictor, it goes down to 440hp and 400 torque for classed racing.

How many gears does your car have?
One....

Agreed about the mesh. Actually, I was also somewhat suurprised that they shut it off from redline, rather thhan let it run down to idle & then shut it off.

VR, You are getting technical again. stay away from things that might confuse yourself and make your head hurt

Originally Posted by ltc
A bit OT, but in karting, especially with aircooled engines, the driver was asked to always do a "hot cut" (cutting the engine off at WOT on the longest straight and then coast into the pits...of course raising their right hand to let other drivers behind them know) in order to let the tuner get a good plug reading on entry to the hot pits.
Without doing so, the plug reading was always questionable, especially on water cooled engines.
Yep, exactly. if you have one of those magnifiying glass spark plug lights, you can tell alot from looking down the eletrode after a WOT run, with no part throttle operation. That mixed with the computer analysing equipment, you can really get a picture of how the engine is running.

Last edited by mark kibort; 08-01-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
VR, You are getting technical again. stay away from things that might confuse yourself and make your head hurt

Good grief, Mark. Kindly shut up with the off-base cheap shots.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:04 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CVT can have ANY gearing that the controller specifies.
Can be geared to do whatever you want.
Just because the current crop of CVT's are used to maximize efficiency/fuel use doesn't mean that's all it can do. Ain't it.

Sorry for the OT.

So anyone got any vid of the beast storming around Road Atlanta?
Old 08-02-2009, 03:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

CVT can have ANY gearing that the controller specifies.
Can be geared to do whatever you want.
Just because the current crop of CVT's are used to maximize efficiency/fuel use doesn't mean that's all it can do. Ain't it.

Sorry for the OT.

So anyone got any vid of the beast storming around Road Atlanta?

This is true, but if it was used for optimum acceleration at any speed, it would run the engine up to max hp and stay there. sorry for the continue of OT.

Good grief, Mark. Kindly shut up with the off-base cheap shots.

Sure thing Dave. You "kindly" do the same.

Now, found a day that works for the race yet??
Old 08-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort

Sure thing Dave. You "kindly" do the same.

Now, found a day that works for the race yet??
I do not believe I have made any cheap shots subsequent to the PM that you & I received from Bob Rouleau. You, on the other hand...

And, if you had been paying attention, yes, I have already suggested a specific date, and you responded. Now all we need to do is fund the track rental. Again, you already know this, since you responded to this in the other now-closed thread.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I "lightened up" any more, I'd be able to flap my arms and hover.

Like the new avatar
Old 08-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Abby
If I "lightened up" any more, I'd be able to flap my arms and hover.

Like the new avatar
Thanks!

Many of us would envy a skill like that. You should go with it!

Old 08-02-2009, 06:18 PM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish Mike was still posting here, but it's threads like this that finally ran him off. Our loss. However he's still active on Pelican and you can see the build info on the engine here. FYI he's a talented machinist who did his own ITB setup, sleeves, studs and much much more. The car is a work of art that goes waaaay beyond the engine, with a completely custom suspension setup (and I'm NOT talking about just shocks and springs), transmission mount setup and more. The brakes are gigantic Alcons behind CCW wheels. All this from a busted, abandoned 79 he found down the street from his shop and decided he needed a project.

Pelican thread on the dyno and engine build
Old 08-03-2009, 02:53 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I was just getting my last one in just before I agreed with Bob. OK? done!

Now, I have been paying attention with the race weekend proposal. Are you going to start a new thread? If you do it, Ill keep it all business if you do.

I do not believe I have made any cheap shots subsequent to the PM that you & I received from Bob Rouleau. You, on the other hand...

And, if you had been paying attention, yes, I have already suggested a specific date, and you responded. Now all we need to do is fund the track rental. Again, you already know this, since you responded to this in the other now-closed thread.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:56 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
The little bit I've watched NASCAR I've seen them do the same thing in practice.

We find it's much safer / easier to do this on a dyno
Old 08-04-2009, 04:13 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm , Jenveys ...................................
Old 08-04-2009, 04:18 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Let's not bring A.Wayne into this discussion...thanks.
Felonious Reaper still has issues i see .......................

Originally Posted by ltc

Necessary on engines with carbs, nothing to do with water vs air cooling

Quick Reply: 640 hp (at the wheels!!), 500 ft. lbs, Naturally Aspirated Porsche 928