It's Official: Schumacher Replacing Massa at Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I would have thought that the 2 week 'ban' would prevent him from using the simulator.
Well...

You're right though, that's how it should be if done by the rules.

BTW, the test with F60 is not approved yet.
And to be fair, since Schumi is testing with old car(s), that should be enough for him to see whether he's ok or not.
To allow him to test with the current car is somewhat "fishy". I'm not talking from Schumi's point of view (even though it of course is a big help for him) but from the teams' point of view.
Since other teams are not allowed to test, how come Ferrari is?
Of course they say they won't test any new parts etc. but knowing Schumi's past, I'm not 100% convinced...
Other option would've been to allow all the teams test for one day which would've been more "clear" option.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:34 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that's a good idea. How come FOTA and FIA never have any good ideas?
Old 07-31-2009, 04:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Call it an FIA Superlicense test in the F60.

Perhaps the FIA, when saving the teams all the money regarding in season testing, overlooked the possibility of a driver being injured and unable to drive.

IMHO, putting someone out into a GP with only straightline test experience (like the 19 year old rookie at STR last race, is a bit irresposnble.

IIRC, Mark Webber, head of the GPDA, said something along similar lines last week...of course those same comments may not necessarily apply to a retired 7x WDC, but I digress.

If there is an issue regarding the state of the F60 for the one day test, i.e. new parts, have an FIA representative there to monitor the test against the parc ferme conditions of Kimis car from the last GP.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:50 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing with doing a test - tell me any F1 team wouldn't be utilizing the oppurtunity to test 1/2 a dozen prototype peices, and just to pull as much data on them as possible, but do it under the guise of "he needs practice"
(well its what I would be doing if I was in Ferrari's shoes)

I would be genuinelly surprised if he is allowed to test.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:08 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I heard the rumor of his return, I thought this all came as part of the package. I not surprised MS will be allowed to test ahead of the next race. I also thought the initial "no" to him returning was purely a bluff to get the FIA to meet his/Ferrari's requests. In this economy I think they could ask for just about anything and get it. Can't wait for qualifying.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
When I heard the rumor of his return, I thought this all came as part of the package. I not surprised MS will be allowed to test ahead of the next race. I also thought the initial "no" to him returning was purely a bluff to get the FIA to meet his/Ferrari's requests. In this economy I think they could ask for just about anything and get it. Can't wait for qualifying.

Heck, it's Ferrari anyways, and since they have Veto power over the FIA, plus the extra money, etc., there's no telling what else Ferrari has going on under the table.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wanna911
Heck, it's Ferrari anyways, and since they have Veto power over the FIA, plus the extra money, etc., there's no telling what else Ferrari has going on under the table.

They have a secret weapon.
They've got The Stig. :P

I wonder how overfilled the stands will be at the next few races.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bernie must be as giddy as a schoolgirl about this.

If Schumi does get to test, it's kind of like the "Jordan rules" when the other Mike was actively playing as the King of Hoops.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

This seems like a very regressive decision by Ferrari considering they're not in the hunt for either championship. If they had a young driver to bring along you'd think now was the perfect timing.

If they wanted generate buzz I guess they made the right decision but as far as the F1 futures for Gene and Badoer, they might want to consider their non-Ferrari options. I'd be seriously disappointed. On the other hand neither would command the all important 9 page (and counting) RL thread count.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanriffs
Bernie must be as giddy as a schoolgirl about this.

If Schumi does get to test, it's kind of like the "Jordan rules" when the other Mike was actively playing as the King of Hoops.
Exactly.

This has probably been one of the worst years ever in F1.

Let's at least have a little fun out of it.... Go Schumi!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:01 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,931 Posts

This one is for Lewis ....

Schumacher takes to karting for further preperations
Michael Schumacher has taken to karting now that his test with the Ferrari F60 was made impossible. Schumacher and Ferrari test driver Luca Badoer were present at the Lonato karting circuit in Italy as to get more seat time in a race chassis, although not quite a single seater like the one he'll be driving in Valencia later this month.

Writing in his personal website, Schumacher said, "Karting has a very good training effect, that is why today I just jumped into a testing day of the Tony Kart team in Lonato. There is nothing better for my preparations at the moment, in terms of steering wheel forces for example karting is even more difficult than Formula One. The fact that it has been boiling hot here is simulating the temperatures expected for Valencia."
Old 08-11-2009, 05:02 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...on-moment.html

He cancels

Quick Reply: It's Official: Schumacher Replacing Massa at Ferrari