Sponsored by:

What's going on at Fikse?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:56 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

are you running 245/40/17 Hoosiers?

Fikse (I have been told) will not allow race shops to buy the parts to fix wheels. If they did that, they wouldn't have people complaining about how slow they are. They might get complaints about shops doing repairs but that's local not a real poor reflection on the company itself.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Are you running 245/40/17 Hoosiers?
Is that question for me, John?? Yes, 245/40/17 in the front. And the fronts leak MUCH worse than the rears.

I haven't yet called CCW about it. I just thought it was part of the hassle of using 3-piece wheels...
Old 07-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Is that question for me, John?? Yes, 245/40/17 in the front. And the fronts leak MUCH worse than the rears.

I haven't yet called CCW about it. I just thought it was part of the hassle of using 3-piece wheels...
Call them, i'm quite sure they don't expect their wheels to leak....
Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Fikse (I have been told) will not allow race shops to buy the parts to fix wheels. If they did that, they wouldn't have people complaining about how slow they are. They might get complaints about shops doing repairs but that's local not a real poor reflection on the company itself.
I had a race shop damage a center while mounting a new set of tires. They called Fikse and 2 weeks later a new center piece had been manufactured and shipped to the race shop. This was about 2 years ago.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:06 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Call John and discuss with him.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:07 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

CCW has been picking up a number of Grand Am teams, the wheels they have are stronger and less expensive than the Fikse wheels. Better customer service also.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:18 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Some of the 245's and 225's were made on a bad mold. I have returned three 245's to Hoosier this season. I was told that if they fall in the right date range, I'll get replacements. I turned in two at the VIR club race. I have yet to hear from Hoosier. I suspected valve stems or the seal between halves but the wheels checked out.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Some of the 245's and 225's were made on a bad mold. I have returned three 245's to Hoosier this season. I was told that if they fall in the right date range, I'll get replacements. I turned in two at the VIR club race. I have yet to hear from Hoosier. I suspected valve stems or the seal between halves but the wheels checked out.
Thanks John. That's interesting. It is almost exclusively a problem with my 245s. The leakage from the rear 275s is minimal (within what is expected).
Old 07-22-2009, 11:46 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack, I never had issues with my Classics leaking, even on the street.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Palmer Clingman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 new 245's that go flat in 1 day I will call Hoosier.Palmer
Old 07-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Chulo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R6s? Notorious leakers. My guess is its not the wheels but the Hoosiers. Mine lose lots of air frequently. Had the wheels resealed, as well. I'm told its a common 17" Hoo Hoo issue.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

well, you all know how i feel about my 3 sets of fikses. i dumped them cheaply.
service.... hahahaha...
NO BUSINESS SHOULD USE SWAMPED AS AN EXCUSE. as a business owner if i am swamped, i work 24/7 and if i can't get it done, i hire more ppl. if i can't hire more ppl i dont tell you i will get back to you. i will tell you that i will need x weeks to get your work done, if you cannot wait, i recommend you buying from XYZ as they make great products too. ****, i can go on....

but call up john at CCW. this guys knows wheels like no others. he can stuff wheels into your fender in sizes and offsets that other manufacturers simply chicken out. i had doubts. he told me i will ship 12" wheels for your GT3, run it, if it wont fit, i'll take it back and send you 11.5" if it wont work, i'll sent you 11".

another friend bouth a set for his gt3. john has too much to drink i guess. offset was wrong. one phone call, 2nd day air a new set arrived. these aren't wheels sitting in his shop, they are each custom cut..

one time i called on monday but needed them with tires on friday (i am in CA). he told me just dont worry, they will be there. thursday afternoon, they arrived. they are stronger than fikses as they are the ONLY WHEEL i have failed to bent. all others..... after a few exit berms they all bent.

the other good wheel shop is jongbloed in nor cal. morgan hill i think. ryan there is very hands on. great stuff. delivery is a bit slower than magic john at CCW. but strong product, no BS on the phone.

the only other wheel i would take over CCW and jongbloed is the real BBS motorsport stuff at $6-8000/set assuming i win the lottery.

hey, john and chip, if you are reading this, my next set of CCW will be free right ;-)
just kidding.
i think you know who i am, i bought 5 sets of wheels for my various gt3's.
you should start figuring out how to make 18 and 19" center lock wheels for the new 997.2 GT3'.s you will corner the market.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

+1

I've ordered two sets of custom wheels from CCW and both times they were on my doorstep within one week.

However, they don't hold air worth a sh*t.
call john, he will make it right.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

This is a terrible thread to read. I hope Fikse get their act together quickly, but they are off my list for now.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:21 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

CCW come with a lot of customer satisfaction it appears. I will need to get something made up semi soon. They seem to be high on the list for great service, great pricing, great expertise and a very good product.
Hard to argue against.
What other brands fit this criteria?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's going on at Fikse?