Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Hungarian Grand Prix race preview, discussion, predictions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Glad that Massa is OK. That could have been fatal.....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First of all, good to hear Massa is fine, will look like a hockey player at least for a while but that's ok. Looked bad first and what a freaky accident (makes those expensive Schubert helmets look like they're worth every penny), what are the odds?!
This is why I always say the helmets with smallest "eyeholes" are the best, forget those with big opening for glasses.

Interesting qualifying, fun to see the drivers scrambling after the timing & scoring went "kaput".

weights aren't out yet but looks like Alonso was light on Q3 and will maybe go for a 3 stopper. Good to see some change in order though, Hungaroring is horrible for passing but should be an interesting race or at least 1st lap & corner will be crazy.
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2009, 11:41 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Mass well enough to race tomorrow?
Mild Concussion?

And any fines for Brawn for dropping parts on track?
Old 07-25-2009, 11:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Super Glad Masa will be OK. Finn I agree about the small eye opening helmets...even for cars like we drive.

Oh yeah....Big Head Fred on the pole...A. Wayne incomming!

Last edited by mdrums; 07-25-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Massa is now out. Word from Formula1.com

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/7/9671.html

Wow...this could have been real bad. Bone damage to his skull? damn...

Massa to miss Hungarian Grand Prix

Ferrari’s Felipe Massa will not race in Sunday’s Hungarian Grand Prix following his high-speed qualifying crash at the Hungaroring, the team have confirmed. Massa was airlifted to AEK Hospital in Budapest, where he is in a stable condition.

“Felipe was conscious at the arrival at the hospital,” said a Ferrari statement. “Following a complete medical examination it emerged that he had suffered a cut on his forehead, a bone damage of his skull and a brain concussion. These conditions need to be operated on after which he will remain under observation in intensive care.”

The Brazilian speared off the track and into the tyre wall at Turn 4 late in the Q2 session after debris, thought to be a suspension spring from the Brawn car of Rubens Barrichello, struck his helmet.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:27 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Concussion's going to need some close observation.
Sucks big time.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:39 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Just a small bubble over the cockpit would have solved this issue. I know everyone wants to keep the "open cockpit" racing idea, but if there was just a slight rise of windshield, it would have never hit his head.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:43 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Brawn has a large task ahead of them tomorrow; 2 RBs ahead + many others at a track where overtaking is pratically impossible. The KERs cars will have advantage off the grid which will compond Buttons chances. I hope Vettel and Webber stay up there but Alonso is a great starter.

Massa is very lucky; hopefully the surgery cures the issues with his skull. The picture above looks like whatever hit was a some speed.

Gotta wonder if Ferrari will go with their 3rd driver; Massa will be out for a while (maybe the rest of the year?)
Old 07-25-2009, 03:11 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Massa.... wow..... just an unlucky turn of events......
I am glad he is OK......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hfr29J4Xpo
Old 07-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good thing for Massa is that there is a long break after this race but he has suffered bleeding in his skull because of the fracture so he might miss the remaining of the season so Gene will have to replace him for some race(s) even after the break.

LATEST: "BUDAPEST, Hungary — Hospital: Driver Felipe Massa in `life-threatening' condition after skull fracture surgery."

Hopefully he will be OK soon!

Back to Quali results, the weights are out. As I suspected, Alonso was lightest although he was much more lighter than I thought! i.e. Vettel will have 8 more laps than Alonso...

Top 10 weights:

Fernando Alonso Renault 637,5 kg
Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 655,0
Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 652,0
Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 650,5
Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota 654,0
Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 655,5
Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 651,5
Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes 664,5
Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota 658,0
Felipe Massa Ferrari

One more thing. This Massa's accident reminded me of something I've been thinking about:

With testing in F1 nowadays being so limited, and especially next season even more so since the teams are allowed to test only for 15 days (!) before the season, I think it is more risky for all the teams that something like this, when part fell off of the car, will happen more.
If you can't test and see how the car behaves under the stress of real driving conditions, you can never be sure what part is prone to break, fatigue etc.

I think it's a bad thing for safety that the testing is so limited.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 07-25-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:27 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

With testing virtually gone during the season, the 3rd string/backup drivers will have zero seat time in the F1 car. Jaime picked up 2 seconds from his 1st out lap to 2nd lap. He's got to learn not only the track conditions but also the damn car.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:08 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,381 Likes on 2,005 Posts

Guys,

As was posted in another thread, Massa is in ICU after surgery for a skull fracture and bleeding and not expected to race the rest of the year. Hopefully he will fully recover. Thoughts and prayers to him.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:12 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,381 Likes on 2,005 Posts

Very interesting weights to the cars. ALonso is lightest, Vettel is 1 lap longer than Webber and Button is heavier than anyone in the top 10,. I think Ross Brawn wants to go deeper and see if he can get out ahead of others on the pit strategy. Button is at least 3 laps longer than Webber.

Watch out for Hamilton off the start. He's lighter than the Red Bulls and has the KERS.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:39 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
One more thing. This Massa's accident reminded me of something I've been thinking about:

With testing in F1 nowadays being so limited, and especially next season even more so since the teams are allowed to test only for 15 days (!) before the season, I think it is more risky for all the teams that something like this, when part fell off of the car, will happen more.
If you can't test and see how the car behaves under the stress of real driving conditions, you can never be sure what part is prone to break, fatigue etc.

I think it's a bad thing for safety that the testing is so limited.

+1

They need to rethink this ASAP,

BEFORE SOMEONE GETS KILLED!!!!!! The cars are as fast as ever and with new developments will be faster than ever in the next couple of years. Testing is just as vital for safety as performance.

They need to cut corners somewhere else! End of story.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Red9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reported that Massa will be out for the rest of the year.

Quick Reply: 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix race preview, discussion, predictions