Sponsored by:

2009 Hungarian Grand Prix race preview, discussion, predictions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 06:51 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ew928
I thought these open wheel cars were supposed to have the wheels all tethered to the car?????

Will Brawn be able to match the development of the other teams.

Obviously the wheel itself cannot be tethered to the car or they couldn't change them. I think the hub is tethered and the wheel "should" be securely fastened to the hub/rotor because they usually detach together.

I guess that is the flaw in the concept, if the nut is broken and the wheel comes loose, the tether can't help anyways.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Obviously the wheel itself cannot be tethered to the car or they couldn't change them. I think the hub is tethered and the wheel "should" be securely fastened to the hub/rotor because they usually detach together.

I guess that is the flaw in the concept, if the nut is broken and the wheel comes loose, the tether can't help anyways.
The part that is tethered is the upright. In a crash the parts of the upright that are most likely to fail are the ears that the suspension arms attach to.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Looking at the picture in post # 92, I am still trying to determine if there was plastic deformation of the helmet/visor, since it does in fact look like there was sufficient kinetic energy to do so (haven't tried to run any numbers)

The visor (some sort of polycarbonate, not familiar at all with Schuberth helmets) appears to be completely in tact, yet he clearly has blunt force trauma to his left side of face/orbital, hence the likely source of the bleeding inside his skull. It doesn't appear as though that would have come from the impact to the helmet.

Is it possible that the visor did in fact bend, allowing contact to his face/skull and did not break (no direct penetration)?

AFAIK, helmets are governed by FIA/SFI/Snell et. al. testing, but up until this point, I don't think I've ever given a second thought to the visor testing/certification.

I'm sure the FIA and Schuberth will be closely examining the helmet and visor, along with the FIA's doctors' report to determine if changes need to be made.
Kimi said they should have bullet proof visors or some kind of small bullet proof windshields on the cars for this possible problem to go away. But he also noted that motorsport is always dangerous.

Originally Posted by SpeedBump
Apparently will not be brought out of the coma for another couple of days but scan this morning was good
Massa seems to have done pretty well this morning when they woke him up. He recognized the people and understood everything.
They will actually wake him up tomorrow (Monday) morning but only briefly and then put him back to coma.
If everything goes well, he might be back two months from now.

Kimi & Domenicali visited Massa today after the race before their trip home. Felipe was of course in coma but they saw him and his family and wished him well.

Originally Posted by Ray S
Kimi's realing LH in.....

Could be interesting...
LH probably had something in reserve but since Kimi's Ferrari had lost some power (due to a broken exhaust), he didn't have real chance.
Superb drive (from both of them) though!
Old 07-26-2009, 09:44 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Normally I would agree, but in light of Massa nearly being killed by a piece from someone's car, I wont complain when someone is excluded for safety reasons. Fernando or someone else could have been seriously injured or worse if that wheel had held on until the wrong moment.

I am in full agreement with the Stewards for once. If something bad had happened, I don't think anyone would object to their being exlcluded for negligence, so I'm going to err on the side of caution.

With less testing, safety has to take a higher priority than ever before. I wish they could come up with a way the driver didn't have to be punished as well though. The Renualts were really starting to come up too. Maybe a hefty fine, no points awarded for the next two races and a warning that they'd be excluded from the rest of the season if it happened again. I think that would learn em'.
I believe your last paragraph your getting my point.

I'm not a great fan of Renault or Alonso but do recognise his talent and it would be a great miss for F1 racing if he wasn't at Spa.

Should he have pulled off the track when he realised what was happening before the wheel came off..........yes!
Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
LH probably had something in reserve but since Kimi's Ferrari had lost some power (due to a broken exhaust), he didn't have real chance.
Superb drive (from both of them) though!

What's with Ferrari's and their exhausts breaking.

Hope Massa's brain heals well.
With his mental abilities intact.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:15 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

F1 car exhaust systems are very complex and fragile. Their reliability has greatly improved over the years considering how many cars used to DNF because of exhaust failure.

The complexity comes from the getting the correct back pressure waves; getting it wrong affects engine HP enormously as does when it breaks.

IIRC Steve Machett did a good explanation on one of the Speed shows.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

I hope Massa heals 100%, not only for racing but for his family...

So...Ferrari needs a substitute driver and Alonso is suddenly available.

Could it be?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todsimpson
So...Ferrari needs a substitute driver and Alonso is suddenly available.

Could it be?
Well, if you believe Spanish media, who always are so on top of things Alonso and never spread out completely out of reality rumors, YES!
But in real life, no.

Renault's penalty was so sever because they did 4 things wrong with the whole tire incident and because of Surtees' recent death but I doubt they will have to stay out of Valencia.
Ticket sales have been down anyway (also, did you see the empty grandstands in Hungary?!) and keeping Alonso out would be a killer for the race finances.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Renault's penalty was so sever because they did 4 things wrong with the whole tire incident
I have not seen any detailed analysis of the mistake. What four things did they get wrong?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

I have not seen any detailed analysis of the mistake. What four things did they get wrong?
1st: They sent the car out even though the tire wasn't properly mounted.
2nd: They didn't do anything even though they knew the tire wasn't properly mounted.
3rd: They didn't advice Alonso to take it easy when Alonso radioed to the team suspecting tire damage (he didn't know the team had screwed up).
4th: Tire got loose and was bouncing dangerously on & off the track.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

1st: They sent the car out even though the tire wasn't properly mounted.
2nd: They didn't do anything even though they knew the tire wasn't properly mounted.
3rd: They didn't advice Alonso to take it easy when Alonso radioed to the team suspecting tire damage (he didn't know the team had screwed up).
4th: Tire got loose and was bouncing dangerously on & off the track.
Got it, thanks Finn....

So it has definately been established that the pit crew was aware the tire was not mounted properly?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Got it, thanks Finn....

So it has definately been established that the pit crew was aware the tire was not mounted properly?
Yep.

I think you could actually see that during the pit stop, the tire guys was kinda hesitating and immediately the aero "flap" started to turn which tells everything is not right.
But for them to not tell Alonso about it is pretty ****ed up.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:41 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

On one of the vid replays of the pitstop, you can see the tire/flap guy on the right front reaching in and try to turn the wheel nut by hand.

Plus that carbonfiber wheel flap flying off on track can't do the tires much good.

Sad there was no pit to driver communication.
Glad the wheel didn't come off and clout anyone, including the driver.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In light of a comment made by the SpeedTV crew during the coverage of the impact force being approximately 1600lbs and looking at the picture in post # 92, the visor likely did not deform and impact Felipe's face.

Perhaps the impact/damage/trauma to his face/skull was simply due to the complete deformation of the helmet padding, thus allowing the entire helmet structure/visor to impact his face/skull/orbital, leading to the trauma.

At 1600# and given the approximate (contact) area, the foam should essentially disappear.

In such a scenario, carbon fibre and/or bulletproof anything is not going to make a difference.

Quick Reply: 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix race preview, discussion, predictions