Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is a black run group driver............

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:09 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks fellows for your inputs......

I am not ready to at this point......

....but If I am ever asked in the future, I wouldn't mind giving back and sharing what I learned from my experiences......

BTW......a big applause to all the instructors out there who unselfishly and patiently have given their time in order for all of us to learn how to really enjoy this fabulous hobby ..........
Old 07-17-2009, 10:23 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dbryant61
And be prepared to grow a small contingent of groupies who come up to you at the bar like they are your best friend and you don't remember them.
Now, that is funny. Voice of experience talking there.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:24 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Paolo,

Let's look at it from a different angle.

Ask the question, "Who wants to be Paolo's Student." Let's see what kind of response you get. A formal poll wouldn't hurt either. (hint...hint...)
Old 07-17-2009, 12:31 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by James-man
I didn't know you were black?
That's what she said. lol!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smankow
7 pages
at least triple this if you count the subsequent "i-was-kicked-out-of-being-an-instructor-b/c-i'm-reckless-why-oh-why?!!?" thread
Old 07-17-2009, 01:14 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TedA
Dude...this is a whole different issue that may require some counciling..
Counselling...DORK! Isn't that what you are there for? "Oh come on. Just one more?"
Old 07-17-2009, 01:14 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
at least triple this if you count the subsequent "i-was-kicked-out-of-being-an-instructor-b/c-i'm-reckless-why-oh-why?!!?" thread
That really happened to you?......
Old 07-17-2009, 01:29 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
That really happened to you?......
not quite... i was referring to the renn thread/incident
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...se-please.html
Old 07-17-2009, 03:58 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Doc, I highly recommend it for anyone that is skilled and likes helping people. You will need to start the process by showing interest in becoming an instructor. No one, except VR, is such a hot DE driver that they get asked to be an instructor, get a big sponsorship, or co-drive a Rolex GT car. You need to inquire if you really have interest.

Instructing is very rewarding, however, it isn't what I thought it would be. Instructors serve their students-that is the purpose for signing up for an event to instruct, and anyone with a different attitude will not be effective. I have seen fellow instructors that 'seem' to be there for free or discounted track time, and the student suffers. I have seen fellow instructors that 'seem' to only be there to show a newbie that the instructor is a super hot drover, and the student suffers. Your weekend revolves around your student. Briefing before each session, riding their session, debriefing each session, and setting goals for the next session. If your sessions are 30 minute sessions and your run group is just before or after your student's, you will get 15 to 20 minutes. If your student wants to go for a ride, you take him/her for one, but you don't go out 9/10ths. You have to take them out and show them a tenth or maybe 2/10ths more than the student is driving to allow them to learn. So you kind of lose that session in the interest of instructing. Too often the instructor takes a student along for a rocket ride, and the student then thinks he can drive like the instructor, which, of course, he can't yet. If your car breaks or you want to check out early, you still have to be there until your student is done.

The good thing is that there are few things as satisfying as starting off Saturday morning with a first timer and helping them experience dramatic improvement by Sunday afternoon, or helping an intermediate driver pick-up 6 seconds over the weekend, or helping an advanced student smooth out turn 5 for 9 mph more on exit.

I have also had a student say, "this is my first time to the track."
I ask, "how long have you had your Corvette?"
Student replies, "three weeks."
Tucker inquires as to any modifications to which the student replies,"chip, cams, and exhaust."
Instructor says a prayer, then asks what the students goals and expectations are and the student says, "I want to see what this thing can do." Instuctor is scared completely to death, and I remind my student that I have a lovely wife and young son.
Instructor and student get in the car, and student asks, "do you think I should I turn off the traction control?"
"No, that would not really be a great idea."

He ended up being a great student, but you really have to know how to hold on to the reins. Some students are sponges responding to every instruction and some are bucking broncos that need to constantly be held back. Each one is different, but it comes with my highest recommendation!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:55 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you even want to become an instructor, just curious? Even if given the opportunity to me (someone mentioned at Thunderbolt I should try and be, he was an instructor running in black) and I thought to myself hmm, besides for me not thinking I have the experience , I would never want to hop in someone elses car... Guess it's personal preference which is obvious but I just wouldn't feel that comfortable (although it is sort of selfish since someone gave me the time of day to help me out when I started), just curious why you would want to become an instructor? I like helping people though with anything!
Old 07-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

For me it's simply pay it back time and the club needs instructors badly.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:35 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

My reasons would be......

1. To give back......

2. To help "a caterpillar turn into a butterfly".......

2. To get excited about DEs once again......(after racing DEs get a bit monotonous)

But like I said, I am far from being ready.....
Old 07-17-2009, 07:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

Instructing is very rewarding, however, it isn't what I thought it would be. Instructors serve their students-that is the purpose for signing up for an event to instruct, and anyone with a different attitude will not be effective. I have seen fellow instructors that 'seem' to be there for free or discounted track time, and the student suffers. I have seen fellow instructors that 'seem' to only be there to show a newbie that the instructor is a super hot drover, and the student suffers. Your weekend revolves around your student. Briefing before each session, riding their session, debriefing each session, and setting goals for the next session. If your sessions are 30 minute sessions and your run group is just before or after your student's, you will get 15 to 20 minutes. If your student wants to go for a ride, you take him/her for one, but you don't go out 9/10ths. You have to take them out and show them a tenth or maybe 2/10ths more than the student is driving to allow them to learn. So you kind of lose that session in the interest of instructing. Too often the instructor takes a student along for a rocket ride, and the student then thinks he can drive like the instructor, which, of course, he can't yet. If your car breaks or you want to check out early, you still have to be there until your student is done.

he good thing is that there are few things as satisfying as starting off Saturday morning with a first timer and helping them experience dramatic improvement by Sunday afternoon, or helping an intermediate driver pick-up 6 seconds over the weekend, or helping an advanced student smooth out turn 5 for 9 mph more on exit.

I have also had a student say, "this is my first time to the track."
I ask, "how long have you had your Corvette?"
Student replies, "three weeks."
Tucker inquires as to any modifications to which the student replies,"chip, cams, and exhaust."
Instructor says a prayer, then asks what the students goals and expectations are and the student says, "I want to see what this thing can do." Instuctor is scared completely to death, and I remind my student that I have a lovely wife and young son.
Instructor and student get in the car, and student asks, "do you think I should I turn off the traction control?"
"No, that would not really be a great idea."
+1 on what it means to be an instructor.

Sometimes I take an advanced student out at 8/10 th. to point out a more urgent turn in and treshold breaking, etc while being smooth..

How about that 1100HP Methanol injected Chrome rim Viper where my head sticks out 2" above the window and the "My OEM pads are brand new comment from the student.."

Instructing is more about theaching and communication than ultimate driving ability.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I want to be an instructor to have the chance to spin a students car in the octopus during a demonstration lap while driving their car
Old 07-17-2009, 10:14 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sean F
I want to be an instructor to have the chance to spin a students car in the octopus during a demonstration lap while driving their car
your CI will sign you off no problems with that attitude

Similar to your comment as my mentor...... Dan..... this is your first race, go out there and be safe............ 3 weeks later..... Dan, this is our second race, go out and win!!! Was great advice I was following until i forgot which way the track went

Quick Reply: How is a black run group driver............