Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA at VIR 7/24-26

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:55 PM
mater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nasa se is a great organization Its really up to the individual once you set the rules!!1
Old 07-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren
What dyno? At VIR? It's the wrong kind.
The one at VIPER.

What are the dyno rules?
Old 07-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
The one at VIPER.

What are the dyno rules?
Only dynojet numbers are accepted on a protest.

I had a long talk with Ian the National Director. Turns out that there is currently a serious problem with the GTS rules. You can turn in a dyno from any manufacturer that you want to class yourself. So, in theory you could use a mustang dyno, that shows substantially less HP than the dynojet, to get yourself into a lower class. Then, unless someone protests you, nothing can be done. I am hoping that this will be changed for 2010.

For my car, I could use my mustang numbers and add less than 20 lbs and class myself in GTS2!!!!!!! Using the dynojet, I am close to the minimum wt/hp for GTS3.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:14 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Not just in GTS, we have the same issue in PT. At least one of the SE-R's is probably over the max power/weight ratio. It seems like only Spec Miata and Spec e30 have their act together with this stuff.
I was gonna say that I would bet that it happens in most classes.
The dyno in the corner of the paddock could easily take care of any issue.
That would be great! At a minimum they could see the HP difference between 2 cars if someone protested.
Originally Posted by Lemming
In the two years that I've been racing, I've never been weighed coming off track.
Ya know....I don't think I've ever been weighed either. PCA...2x per weekend at VIR!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 07-15-2009, 05:15 PM
mater
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I see it a lot in NASA and not much you can do about it. People know that you can make a dyno sheet look just about any way you want. For me, it would take the fun out of it. I've worked very hard to optimize my car for the classes I run in and worked very hard on the driver also. So, when I'm blessed enough to win, it feels great. If I had to fudge to get there...well I think I would rob myself of the true enjoyment of the sport.
NASA has good way to class highLY mod. cars.Just be as honest as you can , It is CLUB racing. The Pros are expected to TRY AND get a unfair advantage cause they race for money!!! I wish everyone had your attitude.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

I've heard of a few BMW guys running in 4. Possibly Bryan Watts who's on here a lot.
We are thinking of running GTS4 and then super sizing to run ST or TT since we have two drivers. Gotta figure out what classes we can run in that won't be on track with GTS. Would be awesome if we could walk away with a tire or two from 4 different races.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

GTS Rulebook:

Competitors must produce a dynamometer certification from the last 12 months and dynamometer certification form upon demand and should keep copies of both with their vehicle logbook. Any competitor without a dynamometer certification will be placed into GTSU until they can produce a certification. A competitor must recertify their car if any changes have been made since the last certification run. Competitors may use any brand of dyno for certification, but all compliance runs at events will be made on a Dynojet Model 248, 224, or 424 in SAE mode with a smoothing factor of 4 so it is highly recommended to use one of those dynos with those settings for certification to avoid any errors in classification.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
We are thinking of running GTS4 and then super sizing to run ST or TT since we have two drivers. Gotta figure out what classes we can run in that won't be on track with GTS. Would be awesome if we could walk away with a tire or two from 4 different races.
Max is 4 tires per event for any competitor regardless of the number of classes you race in.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Max is 4 tires per event for any competitor regardless of the number of classes you race in.
2 drivers in 2 different classes. We've already asked Hoosier...the contingency goes with the driver, not the car.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

It's easy to weigh the cars, of course, so they should at least be doing that, and comparing it to the submitted dyno sheet. I know that isn't ideal, but at a 11:1 weight to power ratio, 20 hp =220 lbs. If you know a guy is in GTS3 and his dyno is 300 rwhp, he'd better weigh 3300 lbs!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

GTS Rulebook:

Competitors must produce a dynamometer certification from the last 12 months and dynamometer certification form upon demand and should keep copies of both with their vehicle logbook. Any competitor without a dynamometer certification will be placed into GTSU until they can produce a certification. A competitor must recertify their car if any changes have been made since the last certification run. Competitors may use any brand of dyno for certification, but all compliance runs at events will be made on a Dynojet Model 248, 224, or 424 in SAE mode with a smoothing factor of 4 so it is highly recommended to use one of those dynos with those settings for certification to avoid any errors in classification.

Out of curiosity.

So what if I protested someone and there isn't a Dynojet on site?
Old 07-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Out of curiosity.

So what if I protested someone and there isn't a Dynojet on site?
Car must be taken to a dyno facility. Someone representing both parties must be present. Person in the wrong pays for all costs.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:37 PM
mater
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
2 drivers in 2 different classes. We've already asked Hoosier...the contingency goes with the driver, not the car.
They sure would look funny with a tire around each ankle and wrist. HOW WOULD that LOOK.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Car must be taken to a dyno facility. Someone representing both parties must be present. Person in the wrong pays for all costs.
Has that EVER happened? I can't imagine the logistics of that.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:45 PM
J Smith
Rennlist Member

in other words...it's a big PITA if no dyno is present at the racetrack.

GTS is basically running on the "honor system", which isn't really the best way to control cheaters. I'd like to think (and do think) all the guys I race with in Mid Atlantic are honest, but all it takes is one snake and the system has failed. The GTS3 class in MA has really become an awesome group this year with good numbers every weekend and very tight racing, so any small advantage will be very beneficial. Unfortunately, this close racing is what makes people think about trying to get an advantage somehow...usually cheating.

Quick Reply: NASA at VIR 7/24-26